Author Topic: A few general questions about avast!  (Read 3635 times)

jdavast

A few general questions about avast!
« on: May 06, 2009, 02:21:16 AM »
Hey all.

Just recently downloaded and installed avast! and it seems to be running well. However, there are a few things that I'm not sure about:

-When the mouse cursor is hovering over the avast! icon in the system tray, the message reads "On-Access Scanner: 7 provider(s) total, 6 running". All the provider modules are currently running except "Outlook/Exchange" which is "waiting for a subsystem to start". Is this because Outlook is inactive?

-Can the avast! On-Access Scanner be configured to disable individual provider modules? And how?

Any info/advice is appreciated.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: A few general questions about avast!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 03:45:28 AM »
Is this because Outlook is inactive?

Exactly.  The outlook plugin only runs when outlook is running.  If you don't have outlook running, why waste processor and RAM usage if it's not runnning?

Yes, you can disable individual provider modules (not recommended though, I mean, why?) by right-clicking the avast icon, mousing over "pause provider" and clicking whatever provider you want to disable.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 04:24:54 AM »
Hi jdavast,
I've actually terminated two of mine; Outlook/exchange, and Instant Messaging. I don't use either of those applications. Pausing them would probably be adequate.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 04:28:19 AM »
Tarq57 is correct. If you never use them, then it would be pointless to have them running.

However, if I knew that I would never need them, I would have done a custom installation of Avast, and not install those providers if I never planned on using them.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

jdavast

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 05:50:33 AM »
Thanks for the replies scythe944 and Tarq57.

Yea, I wasn't sure that pausing the tasks would also disable them. A few of the providers (Outlook/Exchange, Instant Messaging) will more than likely be inactive. I'm not sure about the "Internet Mail" Scanner yet since I have a yahoo account. However, the option to configure each individual module/scanner is a good setup.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 01:38:03 PM »
I'm not sure about the "Internet Mail" Scanner yet since I have a yahoo account.
Does Yahoo use SSL connections? If so, avast can't scan them without 3rd party software.
If you're not using email programs (pop3), but you're only using webmail, then you could not run the Internet Mail.
But, if you let it running and configure it well, you can detect if your computer is sending spam.

However, the option to configure each individual module/scanner is a good setup.
Sure, one of the great advantages of avast.
The best things in life are free.

CharleyO

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 10:08:01 PM »

Welcome to the forums, jdavast.   :)

As Tech suggested above, you should leave the email scanner active just in case a spambot happens to find it's way onto your computer. It uses very little resources even when active.

jdavast

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 05:25:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies Tech and CharleyO.

I don't know for certain if Yahoo uses SSL connections, however the avast! "Internet Mail" Scanner will be running in the background just to be sure.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 01:48:29 PM »
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help or just to change experiences 8)
The best things in life are free.