Author Topic: License key demo version expires but says it was free.  (Read 5287 times)

mahhhh

License key demo version expires but says it was free.
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:34:51 PM »
Why does my avast, which said it was free version.
Say it expires on July?
I wont be paying for it, so you'd best tell me now if you are a scam that says something is free and then try's to make people give you money.
There was nothing said on your webpage about time limited demo license.
So tell me now.And ill remove it.
It is avast home 4.8.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Re: License key demo version expires but says it was free.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 10:40:17 PM »
Looks like your using Avast! Home Edition.

You have to register a licence key if you want to continue using Avast. Don't wory, Avast won't send you spam, it will only send the licence key. A licence key for home edition is completely free! All you got to do is do what the page says! To register, click on this link:
http://avast.com/eng/home-registration.php
We hope you will still use Avast! :)

There was nothing said on your webpage about time limited demo license.

Wrong!

Free registration
avast! antivirus Home Edition is FREE to use but it is necessary to register before the end of the initial 60 day trial period. Following the registration you will receive by e-mail a license key valid for a period of 1 year. After you have downloaded and installed the program, the license key must be inserted into it within 60 days. The registration process is very easy, and it will take you only a couple of minutes. Register here

Here is proof: http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 10:43:01 PM by Donovansrb10 »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

gery

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 11:01:19 PM »
don't worry it is scam and spam free. you have to register and that is it. keep your peace within you

mahhhh

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 11:06:19 PM »
Ok then I understand I did get the key. :)
But why is you want my email for if not to spam?
Thankyou then for this free anti virus that doesn't lag to much.
I will recommend to people to buy the Professional version because you were so nice as to give me a real free non lagging anti virus.
This is what being honest gets you.
 ;D

onlysomeone

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 11:42:36 PM »
Thankyou then for this free anti virus that doesn't lag to much.
I will recommend to people to buy the Professional version because you were so nice as to give me a real free non lagging anti virus.
This is what being honest gets you.
 ;D

The email is used for statistics I think... so they can count the number of registered users...

I hope you enjoy using avast! as it is a really great antivirus ;)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 12:05:30 AM »
I think onlysomeone is correct, the company needs to know how many installations are actually installed (thus need updates, thus work out approximate server requirements etc.)
Do not be alarmed when it prompts for a new registration, it requires re-registering every 14 months.
I have never been spammed by Alwil, nor received any other unsolicited communication from them. The conduct of the company appears excellent.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 12:35:17 AM »
<snip>

Without your email you wouldn't be able to get the key. I have had avast free for over five years and not a single unsolicited email from avast. When you insert the key you were sent, the updates expiration date will be set to 14 months in the future when you would need to register.

There is a likely to be a change in the registration process in the future, but for the time being that is the way it is.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Mr.Agent

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 12:35:55 AM »
The email is also for send the cd key too. If you want the cd key how they can send it to you ? So that why.

I have used Avast! for 2-3 years you dont have to worry about spam or something. ALWIL is a nice team they are nice when you are nice.

I hope you will enjoy your Avast! and feel secure :)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 12:38:22 AM by Mr.Agent »

edjon2000

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 12:30:05 PM »
I to have used Avast Home Edition on my XP installations for some years without any problems whatsoever any personal information is kept private and not shared with anyone, How Avast uses your information is described in their privacy statement here http://www.avast.com/eng/privacy_statement.html