Consumer Products > Avast Free Antivirus / Premium Security (legacy Pro Antivirus, Internet Security, Premier)

frozen simple user interface/confusion re: results of scan

(1/1)

heavenstobetsy:
I have just installed and run my first scan with avast. The "results" window shows 2 infections, which were moved to the chest. 289 other lines show result: "unable to scan:Ar...". I can't enlarge this window or figure out how to read what Ar.... means, and if it requires me to do something. Also, when I try to scroll in the results window, it freezes--then unfreezes and then keeps freezing on and off.

Also, the simple user interface is frozen on my screen, so I can't close it or anything.

Thank you for what I hope is a simple answer.

Lisandro:
How exactly does it freeze? Does it happen always approximately at the same place/folder of the scan?
Do you see a hard disk activity (when it freezes)? Is only the program frozen, or the whole computer (possibly with mouse cursor)?

You can go to the program settings and turn on the creation of the report file (with "OK files" to be included as well in the report). This way, you can find out where the scan really stopped (it's going to be close to the end of the report).

After avast! disappears, check the end of the report file - the "troublesome" file is likely to be close to the end (close in the sense that this particular file will probably not be written in the report, but the previous one will be the last line, so it shouldn't be hard to guess). They would certainly like to have this file - if it really causes problems to avast! - so that they could fix the problem.

The report file created (if you turned it on in program settings) will be (default location) at <avast4>\Data\Report\Simple User Interface.txt

Files that can't be scanned are just that, not an indication they are suspicious/infected, just unable to be scanned.

heavenstobetsy:
Thanks, Tech. No, it had finished the scan completely. It was the first scan I did after downloading avast so I have nothing to compare it to. It had the results window open and everything. Nothing else on my desktop except for the SUI is frozen. I left it on overnite to see if it would unfreeze itself but it didn't. So I guess I will turn the computer off and see if it does it a second time. Actually, the last entries on the report were infections:

C:\WINDOWS\Debug\DCPROMO.log--infection: Win32:S.....and there isn't enough space in the column to read the rest of it

C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\pinstall.dll--infection: Win32:A...

Should I send them to avast? Is there a particular address I should send it to?

Thanks for your help.

Lisandro:
Are you using Windows XP/Vista?
Can you schedule a boot-time scanning?
Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning.
Select for scanning archives.
Boot.
If infected files are found, it's safer to send them to Chest instead of deleting them.
This way you can further analysis them.

The report file is created automatically in <avast4>\Data\Report\aswBoot.txt

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version