Author Topic: Chrome Zone = malicious site?  (Read 5682 times)

quard

Chrome Zone = malicious site?
« on: May 05, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »
Avast! Home 4.8.1335 won't let me go to the Chrome Zone forums at http://chromezone.s3graphics.com saying it's a malicious site. Any way to over-ride these false positives in the future before a fix?

Thanks.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Chrome Zone = malicious site?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 08:30:35 PM »
I have no idea why it is blocked, but I was able to get to it to investigate (I wouldn't advise you do that just yet), however, the site is down for a revamp, see image. It directs you to the forums, http://forums.s3chromezone.com (no alerts at that URL) perhaps you could check there if they are aware of this.

You can report it at virus @ avast (dot) com as a possible 'False Positive - Network Shield' (use the quoted text as the subject) and hopefully it will be quickly investigated. Give a link to this topic.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
As soon as I opened this post, avast warned me.  I guess it's still there.  I'll try to figure out what it is...
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 10:39:10 PM »
When I opened the link, the Network Shield blocked two sites.

05.05.2009  16:37:05  Network Shield: blocked access to malicious site chromezone.s3graphics.com/favicon.ico [ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE ( 1840 ) ]

05.05.2009  16:37:05  Network Shield: blocked access to malicious site chromezone.s3graphics.com/ [ C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE ( 1840 ) ]

Looks like the site could be a virus and the favicon icon could be a backup virus. I'm going to investigate in firefox with noscript.
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 10:43:03 PM »
Avast blockes acess to hXXp://www.s3graphics.com/ too. Maybe the virus came from the webhosting server. This site could of been hacked or it could of had a virus on it on purpose or it could be a false positive.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 10:57:07 PM by Donovansrb10 »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:24:59 AM »
Generally, avast detection is accurate in these cases.
Isn't it an encrypted/obfuscated script or iframe?
Wasn't the site hacked?
The best things in life are free.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 12:26:58 AM »
Other way would be to contact them

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 03:32:43 AM »
Well, I just checked out the website without avast protection and looked at the code (I don't care, I just have a test machine) and the only thing that I could see that might be telling avast that there is a malicious code was this:

document.writeln("You are being redirected to the forums.<BR>");
setTimeout("location.href='hxxp://forums.s3chromezone.com';", 5000);

I don't see any problem with that code though.

I'm not really sure what is setting avast off.  If that site "hxxp://chromezone.s3graphics.com/" is actually the page that's giving avast problems, it must be a false positive.  Unless of course the page that it forward or redirects to is the problem, then that's a different story.  If there is, I didn't see it in the code of the redirected site either... "hxxp://forums.s3chromezone.com/phpBB3/"

I dunno... I'm stumped.  :(
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 04:34:52 PM »
Well I too disabled the network shield (not advised for the faint hearted) as I mentioned to be able to check the page nothing on it, but that isn't the problem. What is that the network shield is matching it with a malicious site list. I have done many searches and can find no other indication of malware hosted on the sub-domain. Which is why I suggested reporting it as a possible FP.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

kubecj

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 12:59:11 PM »
Was distributing malware, I blocked the whole site. Now the malware is gone, removed from block.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 01:33:32 PM »
Was distributing malware, I blocked the whole site. Now the malware is gone, removed from block.
Thanks for the info. Again, avast detection is correct (see reply #5 above).
The best things in life are free.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Now the malware is gone, removed from block.

I'm getting the warnings again, maybe the malware's back?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 04:10:03 PM »
It may be that it hasn't filtered through to a VPS update yet ???

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »
Yeah, that's possible...