Author Topic: Exclude network shares from scanning  (Read 5395 times)

spyd3r0x

Exclude network shares from scanning
« on: May 06, 2009, 10:39:52 PM »
I have a networked NAS that I backup my files to.  Every time a file is copied to that share, Avast puts a couple errors in the Error Logs saying that there was an error scanning the file on the share.  It's error 00000035.  I believe this is because the Avast service doesn't have permission to scan that share, as it is running as the LocalSystem, instead of an account with rights to access the share.

The thing is, I don't want Avast to scan the network at all, so I don't want to have to modify the service just to get rid of the errors.  I have excluded the network in both the overall Program settings' Exclusions list and in the Standard Shield's Exclusion list.  In both, I've added "\\[nas]\*", where [nas] equals the name of the device.  Despite these exclusions, the errors continue to show up in the error logs.

Is there anything I could be missing?  Is there anyway to just completely disable network scanning?

Thanks for any help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Exclude network shares from scanning
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 12:15:01 AM »
Try putting the eicar test file in one of the NAS locations and see what path is returned in the alert and use that as the basis of the exclusion. Sorry I don't us NAS so have no practical experience of how to exclude it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 04:43:46 AM »
Is the NAS mapped to a physical drive?  I'm sure it isn't, but you could exclude that drive letter if it was.  Other than that, I don't know, I don't have a NAS at home to play with either... sorry!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

spyd3r0x

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 06:11:20 AM »
Is the NAS mapped to a physical drive?  I'm sure it isn't, but you could exclude that drive letter if it was.  Other than that, I don't know, I don't have a NAS at home to play with either... sorry!
Yeah, it's mapped to a physical drive, but the logs reference the UNC path (\\[nas]\).  Am I excluding properly?  If one adds \\[nas]\* to the exclusions, should that include all files and subfolders on that share?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »
Hmm... well it wouldn't hurt to exclude the drive letter as well, if possible.

As for the exclusion that you have now, doing a \\NAS\ *should* exclude anything on that "server."

You don't have to add the * after it.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »
Yes, the asterisk certainly must be there.

I'm not completely sure whether the exclusions are checked before or after the expansion from the mapped drives to the network path. So, I'd suggest to put also the mapped drives (e.g. as X:\*) into the list of exclusions.

spyd3r0x

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 05:10:11 PM »
Okay, thanks for the tips.  I'll try adding the mapped drive letter, as well.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 06:20:08 PM »
Thanks for the info igor, I didn't know.