Author Topic: Memory Test:  (Read 7659 times)

TheRebel

Memory Test:
« on: May 07, 2009, 11:02:12 PM »
Dear Moderator(s),

I'm using avast! Free Home Edition on Windows XP service pack 3 on Intel Pentium 1.6GHz dual core with 1GB RAM.

Whenever we start avast! anti virus, first it perfoms Memory Test (which can be de activated through options), but I just want to know that does this memory test slows down the PC? Coz whenever i start anti virus, after completing memory test, the avast! simple user interface doesn't appear sometimes, unless i close some opened windows and messenger(s), and unless it appears it makes my PC very slow.

Secondly, if we run a full computer scan, then does it scan memory and start up items as well? I mean is this memory test very important in the presence of standard shield?

Regards.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Memory Test:
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 12:01:34 AM »
The point of the memory test is to ensure it is clean before doing an on-demand scan as there potentially could be something loaded to interfere with the scan. So yes I believe it is important.

No with the memory scan complete yet the Simple User Interface not opening, is a classic sign of remnants of a previous AV. Since we have talked about this in another post, I suggest you get on to this removal of remnants as soon as possible and see if that clears this up.

For one thing, my system is much more powerful than yours, but I wouldn't dream of kicking of an on-demand scan whilst I'm working. I do a regular weekly system maintenance when I also run an avast on-demand scan (Standard sensitivity and without Archives).

Thorough is also by its design very thorough (it scans all files) and perhaps a little overkill for routine use, were a Standard scan without archives should be adequate. Archive (zip, rar, etc.) files are by their nature are inert, you need to extract the files and then you have to run them to be a threat. Long before that happens avast's Standard Shield should have scanned them and before an executable is run that is scanned.

I have only ever done a Through Scan with Archives once shortly after installation just to ensure a clean start state, but with XP for example avast will do a boot-time scan after installation if you select it, this I believe will be quicker and reasonably effective. Like everything in life things are a compromise.

Can you explain exactly what you are doing, because avast is a resident scanner, which starts automatically on boot, you shouldn't have to manually start it unless you are in safe mode (as avast doesn't start in safe mode).

So your comment "Whenever we start avast! anti virus," confuses me a little, why are you doing that ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:57:47 AM »
but I just want to know that does this memory test slows down the PC?
No, it's on-demand only. Anything loaded into memory is scanned as it should by Standard Shield.

Secondly, if we run a full computer scan, then does it scan memory and start up items as well? I mean is this memory test very important in the presence of standard shield?
Yes, it needs to be done.
The best things in life are free.

TheRebel

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 10:27:53 AM »
Dear DavidR,

First of all thanks a lot for such a helpful reply.

By "start avast! anti virus" i mean, i right click on tha avast! icon, which is in the system tray (near clock), and then select the option Start avast! AntiVirus. (which is the second option from the top)

And on clicking it, first of all it performs the memory test, and then sometimes the simple user interface of avast! doesn't appear unless i close some of the existing windows.

But i'll run the AVG Removal tool. U r right may b there r some remnants of it.

Regards.

TheRebel

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »
Dear Tech,

Thanks  :)

Regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
Dear Tech,

Thanks  :)

Regards.
You're welcome. If you want to help me, don't thank me, just sign up & use (sign up only is not enough) Mozy to get 2,200 Mb for free remote backup system. Enjoy its safety!

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 04:23:36 PM »
First of all thanks a lot for such a helpful reply.
<snip>
But i'll run the AVG Removal tool. U r right may b there r some remnants of it.

You're welcome.

It seems that from your other topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45038.msg377191#msg377191 there were remnants, which are now gone.

So presumably that should mean that the memory scan completes and the Simple User Interface opens as it should (so you can run an on-demand scan) ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TheRebel

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »
Dear DavidR,

yep i guess there were some remnants.

Thanks for ur guidance.

And yep now simple user interface appears after memory test.

And regarding (On-demand scan)... u mean selecting what to scan from avast! anti virus user interface and then scan.

Yes i can run it, and it runs successfully.

Regards.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 09:25:52 PM »
Yes, the On-demand being scans initiated by you (whichever you select to scan) as opposed to on-access (resident scanners) scanning executable files as you access them before they are allowed to run.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 09:38:37 PM by DavidR »

TheRebel

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:29:43 PM »
Dear DavidR,

Right.

Yep I'm able to run on demand scan.

Regards.

TheRebel

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
Dear Moderator(s),

My question is regarding the Memory Test, so that's y i didn't create a new topic.

I'm using avast! home free edition 4.8

I want to know that what is the use of Memory Test, when avast! offers goog standard shield? Because standard shield keeps scanning the files before opening, so how come there can be a threat in the memory if standard shield is active.

Thanks.

Regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 02:24:59 PM »
I want to know that what is the use of Memory Test, when avast! offers goog standard shield? Because standard shield keeps scanning the files before opening, so how come there can be a threat in the memory if standard shield is active.
You can deactivate the memory scan at the beginning of the program.
This is scan is on-demand and it should be performed on-demand, before scanning the files, that's the assumption when you open avast antivirus interface, I suppose.
But you're right, if avast is resident, you don't need to scan the memory each time you open the program. I have this scanning disabled.

TheRebel

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 07:18:08 PM »
Dear Tech,

Thank you :)

Regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 09:47:51 PM »