Author Topic: Installation file question  (Read 6154 times)

Tiffie

Installation file question
« on: May 08, 2009, 12:30:59 AM »
Hi all,

Another newbie here with a (probably stupid) question.

Now that AVG7.5 is no longer updating, I want to change to Avast 4.8, having heard far better things about Avast than AVG 8.5.

When I go to the Avast homepage to download 4.8 Free Home version, it recommends using the CNET download link. Using that link, I get a 300KB file with the file name avast_home_setup. Right clicking on this file's icon and looking at properties, shows it is described as Avast anti-virus update.

Below the CNET link, there are links to different language versions of Avast for direct download. The first of these (English version) shows a link to a file called iavs4pro/setupeng.exe. If I download from here I get a 31.2MB file with the file name setupeng.

Which of these two files should I use in order to get a successful installation ?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Installation file question
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 12:37:59 AM »
Strange... the download should have 30Mb (at least) and it is called setupeng.exe.
The best things in life are free.

Mr.Agent

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 12:40:12 AM »
http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html - Download the install here

http://www.avast.com/eng/home-registration.php - Register a key here and go to your email

CNET is the same installer dont worry mate. Maybe because CNET Installer got all language so that why they reduce the space disc i think :)

Correct me if im wrong.

Mr.Agent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 12:52:40 AM »
CNET Installer got all language
For sure not. The full setup (all languages) is setupful.exe and has 70,165 Mb.

Tiffie

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 12:58:41 AM »
Thanks, guys!

Mr.Agent, both files came from the download page that you provided the link to: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html.

I'm still confused as to why the CNET one is so small, since the 31.2MB file would seem more likely to be a full application?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 12:59:50 AM »
Are you using a download manager? Maybe you're not catching the final file to be downloaded ???

Tiffie

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2009, 08:13:03 PM »
I don't use a download manager. I have a broadband connection and usually get pretty good speeds enabling me to download files quite quickly.

If you look at the CNET download page for Avast, it actually shows the size of the downloadable file as 300KB. This seems too small for an application to me, since the installation file for AVG7.5 was about 36MB and the installation file for AVG 8.5 is 61.4MB.

Would it be safe to assume that the 31.2MB file (setupeng) is the correct one to use?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 08:17:35 PM »
The 31.2MB setupeng.exe file appears to be the correct on, I never use Cnet, mainly because it can get very busy and slow downloads, but in this case it looks like they have a corrupt file on there.

From the avast.com download link above, scroll down past the Cnet download button until you se the English version of avast Home and that is the correct link (if that is the one you see the 31.2MB file at).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Tiffie

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:37:42 PM »
Thanks, DavidR! The English version of Avast Home is the very first link you come to when scrolling down from the CNET download button and is the link from which I downloaded the 31.2 MB setupeng file.

One thing I find confusing though, is that if you hover your cursor over the English version Avast Home download link, it shows this URL : http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupeng.exe. The iavs4pro part of the pathname seems to suggest it's the pro version?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:20:50 PM »
It isn't though, but the Home version is almost identical with only the script blocking not included, the rest of the differences are configuration, automated actions, etc. unlike many other free applications it has virtually all that of the pro version.

Even if you downloaded the pro trial version, entry of the Home registration key would revert it to the Home version and functionality.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2009, 03:16:37 AM »
Actually, I noticed the the 300KB file from CNET as well.  It's not just him.

I guess CNET has a corrupt installation file.

As soon as I saw the 300KB file though, I immediately went back to Avast's site, and downloaded from the mirror instead, that was the correct size.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2009, 03:39:12 AM »
Well I would have called Cnet the mirror, not avast.com as the originator. Just that Alwil software/avast probably don't mind the bandwidth being taken by Cnet ;D

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2009, 04:03:43 AM »
Well, yeah, I guess I worded that wrong.  ;)

The "mirror" (CNET) had the incorrect installer available on their website.

The original Avast link located on their website was fine.

I always try to download the free version from CNET, as the program is free, and I'd rather not bog their servers down unless I have to, as I'm sure others will agree.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum