Author Topic: Not Enough Storage for Command  (Read 30826 times)

thehobbit

Re: Not Enough Storage for Command
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 05:08:11 AM »
Tried using the latest version of AVG, then?

No, AVG 7.5 support was discontinued; AVG 8.5 wont run in Win98. New engine in AVG 8.5 which runs in NT systems and newer (not DOS based OS, like Win95, Win98, Win ME, etc.)  Had to get something that would be compatible with Win98; Bitdefender was another possibility.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 05:13:02 AM by thehobbit »

oldtimer

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 05:49:19 AM »
I was finally able to get my New Install of AVAST to Update.  I re-installed without un-installing, It asks you to select Un-install and Reboot and does it cleanly.  The first time the install tried to get Updates Automaticly and of course I got the same "out od Storage error" So when I tried the VPSUPD.EXE it said updates were already installed.  So I went through the Uninstall and Re-install again, but this time I removed the Network cable during the install.  Then the VPSUPD.EXE worked perfectly.  The Automatic updates now work ok.

I think the problem is with the Automatic Update when there are many update files.  After Installing 4.8.1335 the update date is March 19 so there are just too many files for it to handle.  VPSUPD.EXE is a single file so there is combining to do.

Thanks to all for the help

jayembee

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 08:28:15 PM »
What AV did you use prior to Avast? Any other security software running? (Yeah, I know it's SE, but I have to ask. I actually very much liked '98.)
I was running AVG 7.5, very happily, until support for Win98 was discontinued at the end of April. Never any problems with AVG, and I like Win98 very much as well.

jayembee

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 08:34:28 PM »
Tried using the latest version of AVG, then?
AVG stopped supporting Win98 -- v 8.0 won't run on Win98, which is why I decided to try Avast. I'm going to try ALANJEFF's fix and see what happens.  Thanks for the reply.

EDIT: Yup! ALANJEFF had it spot on!  Thanks bunches to all for the help. Up and running quite happily now.

@ Tech: Thanks for the advance notice on Avast 5. As much as it annoys me to have to upgrade to Win XP, I've gone ahead and put a system on order. I expect I'll just keep my Win98 unit as an offline toy or back up unit. :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 09:07:00 PM by jayembee »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 08:50:11 PM »
Note that avast 5 won't be Windows 9x compatible.
But the version 4 will be available for more one (or a little more) year.
The best things in life are free.

gpatrick

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 10:47:22 PM »
I am getting the same error message.  Still trying to fix it.

I was referred over hear because Avast support 98.   So, my question if Avast is ending 98 support as well,  should I go with avast or go with another company?

Any recommendation and yes I can afford a virus program or a free one? I can not afford a new computer, plus I dont like xp or Vista.

There is a free one beside avast,  but I can not think of the name.

I would even take a dos scanner, that can be updated.

Thank You.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:50:45 PM by gpatrick »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2009, 10:51:12 PM »
So, my question if Avast is ending 98 support as well,  should I go with avast or go with another company?
You won't find that many... maybe ClamWin (http://www.clamwin.com/) will still support Windows 9x.
avast support for Windows 9x ends next year as far I know.

Edit: take care, it has low detection rates compared to other antivirus... but it seems to be the only one which lasts...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 10:55:09 PM by Tech »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2009, 11:07:21 PM »
So, my question if Avast is ending 98 support as well,  should I go with avast or go with another company?
You won't find that many... maybe ClamWin (http://www.clamwin.com/) will still support Windows 9x.
avast support for Windows 9x ends next year as far I know.
<snip>

That isn't confirmed, what has been confirmed is that support will be at least until the end of the year, but Vlk or Igor has said that support for the version 4.8 version and win9x, winME may possibly last a bit longer but no firm decision has been made.

In any case as you say there really are few AV options that will support old OSes, so it really is time to do some forward planning about upgrading your system.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 11:09:37 PM »
That isn't confirmed, what has been confirmed is that support will be at least until the end of the year, but Vlk or Igor has said that support for the version 4.8 version and win9x, winME may possibly last a bit longer but no firm decision has been made.
Maybe there isn't a decision involved... they will be compelled to do so, probably, due to updates in virus database.

gpatrick

« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2009, 11:26:49 PM »
Thank You for this info.

I will keep clamwin in mind.

The other one I was thinking of is Rising Antivirus Free Edition.   Huge download though.  I do not know how Good or bad it is.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009, 11:31:44 PM »
The other one I was thinking of is Rising Antivirus Free Edition.   Huge download though.  I do not know how Good or bad it is.
I'm not the right person for you to ask... I'm a little biased... I don't like Rising...

thepates

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2009, 01:15:52 AM »
jayembee:
Error when posting see next post from thepates
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 01:45:29 AM by thepates »

thepates

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2009, 01:31:30 AM »
jayembee:
I also received this message when trying to update the virus database after installation of Avast Home Edition. Download halts after approximately 83%.

Build: 4.8.1335
Virus database: 090319-0

RAM: 384 MB
Available Disk Space: 6.5GB

I solved the problem by down loading the latest
updates from www.avast.com & running the program,
vpsupd.exe to update the virus database.
After executing vpsupd.exe, the virus database was 090350-0.
Hope this solve your problem. thepates

gpatrick

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2009, 03:44:12 AM »
jayembee:
I also received this message when trying to update the virus database after installation of Avast Home Edition. Download halts after approximately 83%.

Build: 4.8.1335
Virus database: 090319-0

RAM: 384 MB
Available Disk Space: 6.5GB

I solved the problem by down loading the latest
updates from www.avast.com & running the program,
vpsupd.exe to update the virus database.
After executing vpsupd.exe, the virus database was 090350-0.
Hope this solve your problem. thepates

It didn't but when I downloaded the vpsudp.exe,  It said all updates are current.

I am wondering if virus and program updates are dated wrong and that is confusing the program.  Version of vpsudp.exe is 4.8.0.0

jta

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
I'm having the same problem - thought it was just me..! Every time I connect to the Internet avast! downloads about 3.2MB of updates, then announces "Not Enough Storage..." and quits. I downloaded the file suggested by alanjeff and ran it - it reports that definitions are up to date - yet the automatic updates still won't run.

System: Asus P4B-series motherboard with a 2.2 GHz Celeron, 1 GB RAM, 40 GB C: drive with about 4 GB used. OS: Win98SE with a mess o' patches and updates, includine the "unofficial" SP 2.1a (which fixes the 512 MB limitation, among other things).

This is beginning to bother me. Any fix out there?