Author Topic: Not Enough Storage for Command  (Read 30719 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Not Enough Storage for Command
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 02:30:50 PM »
After executing vpsupd.exe, the virus database was 090350-0.
Maybe a typo for 090305-0
It's March 5th, 2009. Not updated.
The best things in life are free.

alanjeff

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2009, 02:35:02 PM »
If you follow the method I suggested and not just part of it it does up date. If fact it tells you verbally it has updated. which surprised me.

I can't answer for other methods but only conveyed to you the method I used to get it to work. If you don't uninstall and don't delete the alwil file odd problems occur.

Best of luck.

Yes I prefer Win 98se, it does most thing I want.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2009, 02:35:55 PM »
Quote from: jta
Every time I connect to the Internet avast! downloads about 3.2MB of updates,
Hi, jta,
3.2Mb of updates suggests much more than a definitions update. What Avast version do you use? The current is 4.8.1335.
If you are running an earlier version it might pay to download the new version from Avast, rather than using the internal updater.
Doesn't address the issue, I know, but it may be a workaround. You'll need to fully uninstall your old version, probably run the uninstall utility (Be disconnected, of course) before installing the new, then getting VPS updates.
Definitions updates are typically just a few Kb.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

jta

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »
Using the latest program version: 4.8.1335.

Just ran the 24MB update file (as suggested by alanjeff) again - it says I already have later files than the update file, which is dated May 9th. So perhaps it's actually working but gives the wrong message?

Don't make sense to me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2009, 02:58:14 PM »
On "About" dialog, which VPS version is shown?

jack99

« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »
Sorry for delay in response. We still have not got to the bottom of this despite the excellent solution from AllenJeff. Note that my protocol was different in that I never (knowingly) downloaded vsupd.exe.

I think it is clear at least, and I hope we are all agreed, that HDD space and RAM are not the main issue here, but that the CNET download (Avast_home_setup.exe) is one problem.

Bottom line: it would be good if we win98 diehards kept in touch. Perhaps there could be a win98se section on this forum? Or is there one elsewhere? Otherwise I will post my email at least so we can all communicate re this and future problems. Cheers.

jta

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2009, 03:04:05 PM »

Huh - shows March 19th! I can't remember whether I d/led avast from CNET or direct from avast, but 30MB on dial-up took quite a while and I'm not really eager to do it again if I don't absolutely have to.

BTW, I can't even find the Remove and Repair commands! Well hidden...

Thanks for all the help.

jack99

« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
@jta
Maybe try this: register program; shut down all running processes but Explorer and Systray; DELETE EVERYTHING in Windows\Temp; use the menu button on top left of Simple user interface to select update program only; then ditto update database only; then go surf for a while and wait for next update.

This worked for me. Otherwise uninstall, use uninstall tool, clean install ra ra from avast website.

Please, moderators, WE KNEW (thanks to DaveR), 5 months ago that the CNET link was a problem... so why can't we have proper instructions on the main Avast website for win98se users? We may be a minority, but we are NOT going away!

gpatrick

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2009, 03:53:34 PM »

On mine it shows
compilation data 03-19-2009,  file version 090319-0

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2009, 04:08:55 PM »
We may be a minority, but we are NOT going away!
As I've posted elsewhere, the operating systems Windows 95/98/Me/NT4 will be supported until the end of 2009.
http://www.avast.com/eng/system-requirements-avast-home.html

Maybe, the virus database could continue to be updated with 4.8 version after this period. Maybe not, due to changes into virus database architecture.

On mine it shows
compilation data 03-19-2009,  file version 090319-0
So, not updated... March 19h, 2009.

jack99

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2009, 04:25:06 PM »
Thanks, Tech, for that info, which I appreciate.

The extension of the virus database as long as possible will be particularly useful.

In the meantime, there are a swag of us win98se users deserting AVG to Avast. The favour of a win98se section in this forum will certainly help to alleviate the teething troubles we are all having and may even convince some of us to remain with Avast into version 5 and beyond.

How about considering that gesture of goodwill? No doubt you have some influence here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2009, 04:31:40 PM »
No doubt you have some influence here.
Much less than you think... I have a lot of non fulfilled wishes too :'(

gpatrick

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2009, 04:32:56 PM »
Since Tech is correct about ending support for windows 98.

I did find others some cost.

http://www.eset.com/products/win9x.php
NOD32 Antivirus for MS-DOS & ESET NOD32 Antivirus for Windows® 95/98/ME
This NOD32 DOS & Windows 95/98/ME no where to purchase them.

I also possible found a free dos scanner
http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/13386.html

Another one but it cost.
http://new-download.drweb.com/console_dos/
Note Dr web cost and it prices are listed in pound,  so double that for the U.S.
The also have a windows version as well.

jta

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2009, 06:36:36 PM »
@jta
Maybe try this: register program; shut down all running processes but Explorer and Systray; DELETE EVERYTHING in Windows\Temp; use the menu button on top left of Simple user interface to select update program only; then ditto update database only; then go surf for a while and wait for next update.

This worked for me. Otherwise uninstall, use uninstall tool, clean install ra ra from avast website.

Please, moderators, WE KNEW (thanks to DaveR), 5 months ago that the CNET link was a problem... so why can't we have proper instructions on the main Avast website for win98se users? We may be a minority, but we are NOT going away!

Well, I got it going properly. I did d/l from CNET originally and that appears to be the problem. They need a clean copy to offer; putting out a corrupted d/l can only hurt avast!

Anywho, I downloaded direct from avast.com, then deleted the old copy and purged the registry. Rebooted, and installed the fresh copy. Rebooted and ran the vsupd.exe file - which worked this time and updated me to May 8th. Rebooted and then went out for additional updates, finding about 120kb. I'm now current.

Thanks for the various tips. ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2009, 07:57:23 PM »
See here, please.