Author Topic: 0% progress  (Read 2591 times)

pkch16

0% progress
« on: May 08, 2009, 10:34:59 AM »
Hi
I recently tried to running a simple user interface scan, with the following settings: all local hard disks, test archives, thorough.
I left the computer for a couple hours. Upon returning, i checked the virus scan, and it was reporting it's current status was 0% progress after going through about 170,000 files. The animation on avast indicates it is still scanning; I thought it was strange, so i let it run a little longer, but checking it the second time, it's progress was unchanged; it was still at 0% progress, and the count of files checked was unchanged, and the folder it was currently scanning was the same as when i left it a few hours previous.

So, i stopped the scan, and began a new scan. The exact same thing happens. The folder that avast "hangs" (i'm not sure if avast is actually frozen, the animation indicates its still working on something, but the progress does not change at all) at is a folder containing save files for a game. **Reviewing the report file, it turns out that the last file avast checks before i terminate the scan is: "C:\System Volume Information\MountPointManagerRemoteDatabase"

Why is avast not completing the scan? I have used it in the past with no problems.
As far as I know, I haven't made any changes that would impact avast.

Any help is appreciated
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 10:40:44 AM by pkch16 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: 0% progress
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »
If you use ZA firewall and avast you should exclude the scanning of the tracking.log which we believe is the cause of the avast hanging up.

For the Standard Shield provider (on-access scanning):
Left click the 'a' blue icon, click on the provider icon at left and then Customize.
Go to Advanced tab and click on Add button. Write there:
?:\System Volume Information\tracking.log

For the other providers (on-demand scanning such as the screen-saver or the Simple User Interface):
Right click the 'a' blue icon, click Program Settings.
Go to Exclusions tab and click on Add button. Write there:
?:\System Volume Information\tracking.log

The System Volume Information folder belongs to Windows System Restore.
The best things in life are free.

pkch16

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 09:26:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply, I will try your suggestion and see if it helps.
I'm a bit confused though, because I have been using avast alongside Zonealarm for a long time now, and I haven't had any issues until now; why is that?

Also, I'm using zonealarm and avast on another computer, and i havent had any issues with that computer..
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 12:39:07 AM by pkch16 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2009, 02:56:51 PM »
Are you sure you did not update (upgrade) ZA in last days?
The best things in life are free.