Author Topic: Can someone Tell Me Why ??  (Read 5806 times)

Awake

Can someone Tell Me Why ??
« on: May 13, 2004, 10:29:48 PM »
Every time I do a scan at the end it tells u how many MB and  it seems to increase everytime I do I scan ...also can I delete Log enteries ...if so should I go into the main file to do so or only on the Log Viewer ....also if I wanted to do an online scan from a different site how stop Avast  ( Do I just pause it or Stop it  ) ....Thanks

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re:Can someone Tell Me Why ??
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 11:29:43 PM »
I'll just tackle the last part of that myself, and leave the rest for someone else to answer.

Just pausing the Standard shield if you're doing an online scan seems to work just fine -- no need to stop it completely, or even pause whatever other providers you've got.  Don't forget to "resume" it afterwards, of course.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Awake

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 11:30:50 PM »
 :) Thanks Mike...you mean pause the program do or just the sheild???
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 11:31:43 PM by Awake »

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 11:42:00 PM »
Just pause the shield -- if you right-click on the ball, you'll see "Pause provider", and that in turn gives you a sub-menu to select the specific provider to pause.  As I'd said before, I believe the Standard shield is the only one you need to pause.

And "Resume provider" is right under that, works the same way but is normally grayed-out unless one or more of your shields is already paused.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Awake

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 06:20:14 AM »
Still wondering why it is everytime I do a scan the number keeps changing of how many MB...also can I delete enteries in my Log Viewer

techie101

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 06:52:43 AM »
Awake,

Yes, you can delete the entries in the Log Viewer if you feel you do not need them anymore.
But I would caution you here.....
Make sure that you have addressed any Error or Alert that shows first!

You can delete any entry by highlighting it, right clicking and selecting Delete.

The Log Viewer is only for administrative purposes and does not affect the operation of Avast.

By the way.....What are MBs?  ;D

Techie

Awake

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 07:36:28 AM »
Total size of scanned files 4.6 GB ...it seems to go up every time I scan  ...Why ???

techie101

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 08:02:13 AM »
awake,

By how much does it differ between scans?

What does the scan report show as to how many files were not "scanned".

Remember, during the normal course of computer operations, files are created such as those in the temp internet files, and directories; backups creation; and files added to the System Restore.

It's a fact of life...computer life that is.  ;)

Techie
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 08:03:24 AM by Techie101 »

Awake

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2004, 07:15:16 PM »
I usally do a through scan ...one time local disc then next on files ...I rarely include archives since there are so many that do not scan ...like in the hundreds ...am I doing thing right ????

It varies maybe a point or two ...when I started with avast it was 3.9
« Last Edit: May 14, 2004, 07:26:12 PM by Awake »

techie101

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2004, 05:12:51 AM »
I usally do a through scan ...one time local disc then next on files
This is fine but I would recommend that you do a complete scan of everything at one time.  Why take a chance on missing a virus in the place you do not scan!

I rarely include archives since there are so many that do not scan
Well, there should not be an endless number for sure.  Scanning archives is a matter of choice, but I would do it at least once a month.  Personally, I have my Avast set to scan Archives each and every time.

It varies maybe a point or two ...when I started with avast it was 3.9
The difference is negligible, probably attributed to what I explained earlier.

Your Avast seems to be operating normally.

Good luck,
Techie

Awake

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2004, 05:48:02 PM »
OK I  am running a scan with everything checked off ...once it is finished I will send you the log on this scan if I can figure out how to post it here ...other wise I will e-mail it to u ...if that is ok ...Thanks