Author Topic: Can not uninstall avast program which is not working correctly  (Read 5379 times)

Monq

Hi
I have read the previous posts to get help but does not work.

I have Avast 4.
I can not remove using the control panel - when I try it flickers once and then nothing happens. No error warning.
I have down loaded the remove software which requires me to turn of the self protection mode within the program - I have done this but it still comes up with the same error message saying to turn it off.
When I try and activate the Avast 4 program itself I get an error reading - program can not load iNews (c:\program files\Alwill software\avast4\data\iNews.htm)

The program also trys to update from the net but comes up saying there is an error.

I would like to remove the existing disrupted program and download the new one.

Any help would be great.

M

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Can not uninstall avast program which is not working correctly
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 02:31:47 AM »
Then use the other option given, run the uninstall utility from safe mode where avast doesn't run.

Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that as yo say start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

Booting into safe mode http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »
We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version number?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?

I suggest an installation from the scratch:

1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
The best things in life are free.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:34:18 PM »
Its been a while since I used the uninstall utility but you may have to disable the avast self-defense module before running it. Its in the avast program settings under Troubleshooting.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »
Not if you run it from safe mode.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2009, 03:00:31 PM »
Its been a while since I used the uninstall utility but you may have to disable the avast self-defense module before running it. Its in the avast program settings under Troubleshooting.
As far I know, while uninstalling you're asked to disable the self defense module. No need to go there manually and disable it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »
As far I know, while uninstalling you're asked to disable the self defense module. No need to go there manually and disable it.

Well I would think that isn't the case, as the self-defence module would resist the aswclear.exe attempts to shut it down, after all. So you have to manually disable it or run it from safe mode.

I downloaded aswclear.exe and ran it, which confirms what I said above, see image.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 04:01:58 PM »
Ok. Canned text updated ;)