Author Topic: Does Avast scan Preview Pane?  (Read 8595 times)

midway

Does Avast scan Preview Pane?
« on: May 14, 2004, 12:38:36 AM »
  Does Avast scan the Preview Pane for viruses? I saw in a newspaper column that a person should disable the Preview Pane to avoid unwanted material. Thanks.

shgoh

Re:Does Avast scan Preview Pane?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 02:56:20 AM »
yes...avast should scan emails even before they appear in the preview pane..

Jarron

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 04:36:51 AM »
Shgoh is right.  Please note however that previewing is the same as opening the email to your email client.  That means that webbugs may be activated.  Webbugs are not viruses but something that indicates to the sender that your email has been received and viewed, this is especially useful to spammers so that they know to send you more spam.

So even with avast! or any virus scanner I still prefer not to use the preview pane.  You never know what kind of garbage may pop up in it.

If you must preview messages I would use a program such as MailWasher that can view messages on the server without activating webbugs, viruses, and such.

midway

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 04:38:08 AM »
 Thank you,  shgoh,  for your quick and reassuring reply! Long live Avast!

midway

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 04:45:37 AM »
 And thank you, Jarron. I had just sent my thank-you to shgoh when your very helpful reply arrived. I already had turned off the Preview Pane to see how I liked not having it. It didn't seem like a lot of trouble, although I had to get used to double-clicking any message I wanted to open. So, although I'm not sure which way I'll go, I'm grateful for all the help.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 02:49:55 PM »
If the e-mail is highlited, you can use CTRL+O key combo to open the e-mail.

P.S.
The 1st e-mail message is usually highlighted .
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 01:22:23 AM »
Does Avast scan the Preview Pane for viruses? I saw in a newspaper column that a person should disable the Preview Pane to avoid unwanted material. Thanks.

It is always better to close the preview pane in the unsecure Outlook Express...
avast will catch the virus if you correctly configure it: Internet Mail provider running (ashMaiSv.exe) and set 'scan inbound mail'  8)
The best things in life are free.

midway

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 03:51:15 PM »
 Thank you, Technical, for your reply. I'm afraid I don't understand your message--because I'm not real computer savvy.
 How do I correctly configure avast to catch the virus? I don't remember ashMaiSv.exe.
 I'm also unsure about your meaning. If properly configured, will avast catch viruses in the Preview Pane? Or should I never use Preview Pane, even with avast correctly configured?
 Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm using a mail program called IncrediMail. In the avast help section, I found the following:
“Internet Mail—Provider Settings
  Internet mail provider is used to protect the e-mail process by other e-mail clients than MS Outlook, a MS Exchange.” Then there’s a choice between “Normal” and “High.”
 Does this apply to me?
 Thank you for your patience. I guess I need step-by-step help here.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 08:04:12 PM »
How do I correctly configure avast to catch the virus?

Depends. If you have more than 256Mb of RAM, you probably can configure avast to scan all files (open/created/modified) without a lack of resources.
If you slow down your system too much, please, write at least, the following lines:

Scan files on open:
WS?,VBS,VBE,JS,JSE,HTA,WSF,WSH,SHS,SHB,HTM*,PIF,EXE,PIF,COM,SCR

Scan created/modified files:
ACE,ARC,ARJ,BZIP2,CAB,COM,ECE,EXE,GZ,GZIP,LHarc,MIME,PST,RAR,TAR,WinExec,ZIP,ZOO

I don't remember ashMaiSv.exe.

What do you mean? ashMaiSv.exe is the executable file of avast Mail Service. You must have it running to scan your emails.

If properly configured, will avast catch viruses in the Preview Pane? Or should I never use Preview Pane, even with avast correctly configured?

I suggest you close your preview pane in IncrediMail (the behavior is the same on Outlook Express). Properly configurated means:
1. all windows patches applied (specially SP1 and those ones related to OE)
2. avast sensibility set to 'High'
3. good firewall

Then there’s a choice between “Normal” and “High.” Does this apply to me?

If you are at the Internet Mail settings yes, this applies to you.
But it's better to change the Standard Shield sentivity to High too.

Do you have any other question?  ;D

midway

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 02:37:51 AM »
 Thanks again, Technical. I will stop using Preview Pane and will check my configurations. Sorry about not remembering what ashMaiSv.exe is. I recall setting up avast to handle IncrediMail, but I didn't remember how I did it! Still don't, in fact, but I'm sure I can work it out.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 04:40:44 AM »
Thanks again, Technical. I will stop using Preview Pane and will check my configurations. Sorry about not remembering what ashMaiSv.exe is. I recall setting up avast to handle IncrediMail, but I didn't remember how I did it! Still don't, in fact, but I'm sure I can work it out.

Midway, you gently asked and I tryed to answer... this is our life in these forums.  ;)

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 04:45:27 AM »
I started to use mozilla 2 days ago.Is there a way to turn off and on the preview pane like in OE?
-max

midway

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 04:56:12 AM »

Midway, you gently asked and I tryed to answer... this is our life in these forums.  ;)

And I certainly do appreciate all your efforts, Technical. I'm just a bit slow at understanding.

shgoh

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 05:17:26 AM »
I started to use mozilla 2 days ago.Is there a way to turn off and on the preview pane like in OE?
-max

yes you can...go to the menu on top...view...show/hide...untick message pane

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 05:31:50 AM »
Thanks bud! ;)
-max