Author Topic: "Not enough storage" error when updating the virus database  (Read 30769 times)

mattburles

Re: "Not enough storage" error when updating the virus database
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 03:19:25 AM »
ugh to having to do a clean install  ::)

craftech

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2009, 09:08:07 PM »
Why can't we have an antivirus software that allows us to continue using windows 98se on older computers that work perfectly fine with that OS.  It's not like we only have w98se computers and are too cheap to upgrade.  I have five in the house, but this one runs windows 98se and won't run anything higher as well. 
Is it that difficult to continue providing virus updates for versions that will run on w98se?

Thanks,

John

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 06:18:47 AM »
I found that I got the "not enough storage" error when updating the entire virus data base with a 4.7.986 version but when I went to the current 4.8.1335 version  I was able to load the entire virus data base without any problems.  And btw, I am using WIN98SE.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 01:35:04 AM »
The best things in life are free.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:42 PM »
Why can't we have an antivirus software that allows us to continue using windows 98se on older computers that work perfectly fine with that OS.  It's not like we only have w98se computers and are too cheap to upgrade.  I have five in the house, but this one runs windows 98se and won't run anything higher as well. 
Is it that difficult to continue providing virus updates for versions that will run on w98se?

Thanks,

John

Good point, in the majority of cases of WIN98SE users it isn't just a matter of upgrading the OS it comes down to buying an entirely new computer in each case.

The way I see it WIN98SE users are perfectly willing to accept whatever limitations that would exist in continuing to keep Virus signature data base updates available to Avast version 4.8.  We would understand that Avast 4.8 would no longer be supported or upgraded but just keeping a Virus data base available would be very helpful and enough. It's not really that critical to WIN98SE users that the program be "state of the art" as long as a reasonably reliable Virus data base were available.  It isn't like we users aren't already aware that a lot of applications are no longer supporting these OS's such as having to go with FF-2 and IE-6 browsers for example.  We live with this fact just as we would accept using Avast 4.8.  There is also the concept here as far as asking the question how many hackers or viruses are really focusing on WIN98SE now days anyway.  There would be no need to have a "parallel" Avast application program at all, only a virus database that would continue to work with Avast 4.8 with the acknowledged limitations that might exist if any with such a virus data base in relation to the older Avast program version.

An electronic signature disclaimer implemented by Avast regarding any limitations there might be in protection I think would be just fine with most if not all WIN98SE users, imho.
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 01:31:04 AM »
The structure of the virus database was deeply changed on avast 5.
To release it in two flavors, v4 and v5 will be a cost.
The end of v4 updates is planned to the middle of 2010.
Sorry, but even Microsoft is supporting Win98 anymore.
Operational system changed very much since them.

John_E

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 03:54:51 PM »
Does the new version 4.8.1351 contain the fix for this issue as promised? Just trying to confirm.

Thanks,
John in STL

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »

John_E

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2009, 04:29:23 PM »
nmb - Thanks. Might be right in front of me (cause I am old)  but I don't see this issue mentioned there.

John in STL

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2009, 11:17:54 PM »
but I don't see this issue mentioned there.
Neither do I.

John_E

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2009, 08:24:50 PM »
The problem will be fixed in the next program update of avast!.

Igor, sorry to be a bother but was this fix included in the latest program update (4.8.1381)?

Thanks,
John in STL

Shubham

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 05:59:49 AM »
Manyatimes it happens with me that when I click on the VPS update button in the Simple interface the download does not even start and when I do it in enhanced interface, everything is fine, the button works ??? ??? ???

Offline DavidR

• Avast Ɯberevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »
@ Shubham
I think what you are experiencing is somewhat different as it isn't consistent, the update process should be the same is initiated from the SUI or EUI.

However, you shouldn't need to do that as a) the VPS updates by default are automatic, so you shouldn't need to do manual ones and b) the quickest way to initiate a manual update is, right click the avast 'a' icon, select Updating, iAVS Update.

So if your auto updates aren't working or you aren't getting that specific error, that is something else that differs from this topic, if you also aren't using win9.x/winME, it is different again. So I would suggest that you start your own new topic.

- Please start a New Topic of your own as this seems unrelated to the original subject and will just confuse the topic and we will try to help. 
- Go to this link, http://forum.avast.com/index.php, scroll down to the avast! 4.x Home/Pro forum and click it, click the New Topic button at the top of the list and post there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 22.9.6034 (build 22.9.7554.734) UI 1.0.728/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

joanlui

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2009, 09:00:34 PM »
Update to last version of avast! No problem here! In Italian: Aggiorna all'ultima versione di avast1 e non ci sono piĆ¹ di questi problemi!