Author Topic: "Not enough storage" error when updating the virus database  (Read 32279 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Recently, a number of users have reported to receive the "Not enough storage is available" error when trying to update avast! virus database.

We have identified the error. It occurs only when the number of differences to download and apply is big - for example, when avast! was not updated for a long time (a few months). The same may happen for new avast! installation if the original installation package contains an old virus database.
The error seems to appear only on old operating systems (Windows 95/98/ME). While the problem is not technically limited to Windows 9x, newer operating systems seem to be more "clever" and prevent this kind of problems internally.

The problem will be fixed in the next program update of avast!. Also, the full installers on our web have been updated today to include the latest virus database - so new avast! installations will not suffer from this problem, because the size of updates to download right after the installation will be small (at least when using installers downloaded recently from avast.com).

For anybody having the problem right now, please download the full virus database updater and start it; it will update your virus database to the latest version, and the subsequent incremental updates will be small and without any problems (i.e. it's a one-time fix).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

releone

Re: "Not enough storage" error when updating the virus database
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »
reply to igor

Hello, if I download the program and install it, the installation is stopped and it says to me that the program is already dawned, like making in order to cancel the obsolete modernization and to replace it with the new?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:19:07 PM by releone »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:11:35 PM »
Why don't you try an installation from the scratch?
The best things in life are free.

releone

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 03:01:09 PM »
Why don't you try an installation from the scratch?
Excuse mine little experience, like is made to make the installation from the scratch?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 03:02:58 PM »
1. Uninstall avast from Control Panel first.
2. Boot.
3. Download the latest version of Avast Uninstall and use it for complete uninstallation. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there.
4. Boot.
5. Install again the latest avast! version.
6. Boot.
7. Check and post the results.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 03:19:01 PM by Tech »

releone

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:06:12 PM »
Thank you Tech I will try to it and then publish a topic with the results.

skettonen

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »
The first post by Igor above WORKS!! Thanks so much! (after reading lots of previous posts, I'm so glad I found the one that works!) NOW, I can give this AVAST software the A+ it deserves! :D

sagan13

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »
Hi, avast virus data information on the web page on June 1 would have...Problem? Why 2.ve 3rd days of virus data is not released?

cinchez

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 01:48:43 PM »
@igor^^

Thanks for confirming the real cause of the problem^^

@sagan13
My database is currently dated June 3, 2009^^
So the database has been updated many times since June 1^^

-AnimeLover^^

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 02:17:43 PM »
Hmmm... sometimes the webpage does not get updated as quick as the program itself...
For a very common updated software, I won't check the webpage, but the program "About" dialog (in the system icon tray). Better the program is updated than only the webpage ;)

MickeyDM

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 07:54:10 PM »
Recently, a number of users have reported to receive the "Not enough storage is available" error when trying to update avast! virus database.

We have identified the error. It occurs only when the number of differences to download and apply is big - for example, when avast! was not updated for a long time (a few months). The same may happen for new avast! installation if the original installation package contains an old virus database.
The error seems to appear only on old operating systems (Windows 95/98/ME). While the problem is not technically limited to Windows 9x, newer operating systems seem to be more "clever" and prevent this kind of problems internally.

The problem will be fixed in the next program update of avast!. Also, the full installers on our web have been updated today to include the latest virus database - so new avast! installations will not suffer from this problem, because the size of updates to download right after the installation will be small (at least when using installers downloaded recently from avast.com).

For anybody having the problem right now, please download the full virus database updater and start it; it will update your virus database to the latest version, and the subsequent incremental updates will be small and without any problems (i.e. it's a one-time fix).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

When is the next program update anticipated?
Any attempt to update now led to problem described on http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45947.0;topicseen

Thanks in advance

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 09:12:36 PM »
Did you try to download the complete Virus Database and start it as the quote you posted from Igor suggests ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 02:26:46 PM »
How much RAM (memory) and free disk space do you have?
Seems that avast is slowly being incompatible with few resources (RAM) computers.

The solution is here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45169.msg378259#msg378259

MickeyDM

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 11:00:06 PM »
How much RAM (memory) and free disk space do you have?
Seems that avast is slowly being incompatible with few resources (RAM) computers.

The solution is here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45169.msg378259#msg378259

The unit has 63 MB [ funny onboard cache] and 401 MB free space without Avast.

That solution worked.  I misread it for download latest setup file previously.  All is well for now.

When the next program update comes out, should a clean install be done?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »
When the next program update comes out, should a clean install be done?
avast 4.8 will upgrade to newer 4.8.xxxx versions without uninstalling required.
avast 5 will require a clean install (from the scratch) but it won't be Windows 9x / Me compatible.