Author Topic: Avast creates ghost-folders!  (Read 7946 times)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Avast creates ghost-folders!
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 11:34:44 PM »
Btw, the "Move" action will be removed from avast! 5.0 altogether, as it's not particularly useful.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 12:05:06 AM »
Btw, the "Move" action will be removed from avast! 5.0 altogether, as it's not particularly useful.
What about sending system files needed to boot to Chest?
At least moving allow moving back before logon.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, personally I have never liked that option. Even given what Tech mentions about restoring files before boot which can't be done from the chest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ProloSozz

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 10:20:23 AM »
Even given what Tech mentions about restoring files before boot which can't be done from the chest.

There ARE reasons to use the "Move/Rename..."-Option - and additionally, the .vir-suffix is a certain protection - even if the chest is the safer solution.

I just found something more I'd like to be enhanced: restoring a file from the chest might be dangerous - but there is neither a warning nor a confirmation when doing that!! And there is even no dialog that shows that a file that was consider a threat is "dumped" somewhere deep in any directory structure where it could be difficult to find it again.

I propose to implement a simple warning (Something like: "You are just about to restore a file that was once considerd a threat? Are you sure that this corresponds to you intention?" or so) that you have to confirm before the restore itself is done.

And I propose additionally to implement a possibility do directly open the containing folder where the "chested" file came from/where it will be restored. How to find that file again when clicking on "restore" was not the intention? Sure, the directory can be read and typed in manually in any finder (sorry, explorer) window. I propose either to be able to copy the path (to have the field of the original locaton copyable (not changeable)) - or even better to have the possibility to just click onto the directory path to get there (a "open original location" in the context menu inside the chest).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 10:25:48 AM by ProloSozz »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 02:13:19 PM »
Igor, David, when you got a user32.dll infection you'll regret to have sent the file to Chest and could not boot the system anymore...
The best things in life are free.