Author Topic: Update from 4.0 to 4.1  (Read 5017 times)

giorgio

Update from 4.0 to 4.1
« on: May 14, 2004, 09:14:50 AM »
I'm using Avast Home ver. 4.0 and I wish update to the 4.1 release.
How can I do?
Uninstall 4.0 and install 4.1?
Install 4.1 over 4.0?
Do I need a new license key for the update?
Thanks in advance

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Update from 4.0 to 4.1
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2004, 09:55:52 AM »
The update from 4.0 to 4.1 should be handled just as any other program update - just select "Program update", either from the Simple User Interface menu or using the avast! icon in the system tray, and the update should be downloaded and installed.

The registration key is the same for 4.0 and 4.1 - so if your key is still valid for 4.0, it will be valid for 4.1 as well. If the key is already expired (i.e. it's more that 14 monts old), you can simply register again and receive a new key.

giorgio

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2004, 12:15:49 PM »
Thanks, but I would update to the new version by the setup of the 4.1 release I have had from a friend with the DSL connection.
What about the steps to do? I have a valid key for the 4.0 release.

whocares

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2004, 12:49:41 PM »
Hi,

then just write down the key, note any settings in avast4.0 you may have changed from the default settings, uninstall avast, reboot, and install the new version

maybe even overinstalling works, but I'd not advise it..
otherwise, maybe Igor can say some more to this ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2004, 01:08:22 PM »
I think there's no need to uninstall - the full installer should be able to perform the update as well. Just start it - it will say that it's going to update the existing installation.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2004, 01:37:26 PM »
I think there's no need to uninstall - the full installer should be able to perform the update as well. Just start it - it will say that it's going to update the existing installation.

Only if the user is on-line...
Off-line update could require the uninstallation, specially if the user update VPS in that off-line computer.
I had to do this way in a computer of a friend of mine two days ago.  :-\
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2004, 02:10:44 PM »
Well, if the user is on-line, there is usualy no need to use the full installer to update the program - so it certainly should work off-line.

What was the error you encountered? (and what were the versions of the program/vps/installer, if you remember?)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2004, 02:24:28 PM »
Well, if the user is on-line, there is usualy no need to use the full installer to update the program - so it certainly should work off-line.

What was the error you encountered? (and what were the versions of the program/vps/installer, if you remember?)

Igor, I helped him by phone...
He had 4.0 version (I did not remember the build) and tryed to update to 4.1.396.
When trying to run setup from Control Panel he had only 'uninstall' option. When clicking over the setup.exe file he received an error: 'this package does not have all the necessary elements...' or something like that. He had Portuguese version and tryed to install the new Portuguese one. Hope this help.  ::)
The best things in life are free.