Author Topic: Avast vs virus......  (Read 5625 times)

JoeBlack40

Avast vs virus......
« on: May 12, 2009, 11:07:42 AM »
A friend of mine told me that a few month ago,his avast! pro was completely shutdown and desinstall by a virus(???)...don't know to much details,but is this posible,right?...i'm thinking very seriously to upgrade to avast pro,despite the "story" of my friend...and btw,it is possible that my friend is a liar?Because when you try to unistall avast,a window pop up and ask you if you do it on purpose...so,is this possible with a damn virus...? ???

Thanks.

Mr.Agent

Re: Avast vs virus......
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 12:51:50 PM »
I never seen this on a Avast! Pro User that his own anti virus deinstalling by a virus... Avast! Pro got strong self protection which is no be able to uninstall it or desactive by a hacker or something if im not wrong. So i think your friend lieing.

I dont really think that can happaned but let wait to see the reaction of the other user.

Mr.Agent

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
Yes it can happen. Of course it can happen. It's rare, but it has been reported on the forum before, usually (in my limited reading experience) by a Bagle worm variant.
To be fair to Avast, there is malware around - lots of it- who's first mission is to disable security programs,(for obvious reasons) and it happens quite a bit, and to other AV's also.
I think it happens a lot less with Avast now that there is a self protection module, but basically, if you don't learn to take the steps to harden the browser, (includes immunizing, and limiting the rights of any old application that might be running in it) and keeping software up to date, this could happen. Chances are probably small, but it could happen.
The trick is to close as many of the vulnerabilities that a Windows based computer typically has to prevent the malware downloading and installing in the first place.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 01:26:38 PM »
Some kind of very dangerous virus could corrupt the antivirus installation.
There is no difference in being avast Pro or Home in these cases.
Bagle variants, as said before, could do it. avast detects most of them.
The best things in life are free.

JoeBlack40

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »
Thank you for your answers....yes,indeed,i've heard about different type of malware,wich have this purpose,to disable the AV,no matter what kind of AV program....i think avast! is "safe" with me(lol),because i have Superantispyware pro,CIS(without AV,of course),i use Mozilla with No script and adblock...and btw,should i be worried about the fact that avast! home doesn't have the script blocking shield?

Thanks.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 01:39:18 PM »
With Noscript on, the choice of which scripts to run is totally at the discretion of the user. It's a good security add-on.
Combined with the HIPS component (Defense+), the two way firewall, Avast, and SAS pro, provided you are patched, you're solid.
(PS.) Never say never. But I believe most malware authors would be targeting something a bit more vulnerable.
Secunia is a real good place to check on vulnerable software running. File Hippo has something similar.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 01:51:09 PM »
JoeBlack40, are you running Vista?

JoeBlack40

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 04:23:13 PM »
JoeBlack40, are you running Vista?

Yes Tech...why?

JoeBlack40

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 04:29:43 PM »
Tarq57,thank you very much....i'll try secunia.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »
Yes Tech...why?
Internet Explorer works in Protected Mode in Vista. In this situation, Script Blocker does not run. It's more or less unusable for Vista users.

JoeBlack40

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »
Tech,i think i don't understand...i use mozilla as my preferate browser....(if i could,i'll desinstall IE,but i know,too much windows files and programs depend on it.)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 04:55:56 PM »
Tech,i think i don't understand...i use mozilla as my preferate browser....(if i could,i'll desinstall IE,but i know,too much windows files and programs depend on it.)
I use Firefox also... just a side note about IE8 in Vista.

JoeBlack40

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 05:00:41 PM »
Thank you Tech,i didn't know that about IE 8...viva the FF users! :D