Author Topic: installed Avast, but cannot access net  (Read 4104 times)

slvrniteguy

installed Avast, but cannot access net
« on: May 13, 2009, 01:33:46 AM »
So I installed a fresh copy of windows XP on Asus EEE 900 celeron 900mhz with 1gb ram and 4gb+16gb ssd.  I updated xp to sp3 before installing avast.  I tried turning off windows firewall off but still does not work.  I uninstalled internet explorer 8.0 and reverted back to IE 6.0 and it works.  I also tried firefox and it works but if I run Aol instant messenger, both firefox and IE says they connection has been reset or cannot display page.  Diagnostic says net is fine and I used ping command in DOS and it works.  If I turn off webshield then net access works regardless if I have AIM running or not.  I tried reinstalling IE 8.0 and it still does not work with webshield on.

Other programs running:
Ramdisk (carved 256mb out of 1gb ram)
eeepc tray utility
spybot-SD (tried uninstalling and installing, no effects; checked nothing was blocked by it)

miyata

Re: installed Avast, but cannot access net
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:05:51 AM »
I left webshield off on my computers. My new laptop (vista) was doign the same thing. Would prevent the internet from working. Shut down webshield and havent had it do it since.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 02:33:42 PM »
You shouldn't have to disable WebShield and shouldn't do it anyway... it's a must have protection layer.
Since from the beginning, I have no problems with IE8 on Vista but some of my XP systems got crazy and I had to revert back... does not work either. As I should let that computer running for a friend of mine, I just format and reinstall. This time, IE8 worked perfectly.
I think any firewall or privacy feature is messing your system (maybe from AOL ???).
The best things in life are free.

slvrniteguy

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:45:49 PM »
Yeah I'm thinking of reinstalling windows xp since it worked before although it only had sp2 at that time.  Too bad it takes like an hour to reinstall windows on the slow ssd.  Should I update to sp3 first or install avast first?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 02:49:59 PM »
Should I update to sp3 first or install avast first?
You'll find different opinions.
For me, I update Windows (all updates available) then install avast.
I also tested install avast and then Windows XP SP3, it worked (with avast on).
Others will say that going on-line without an antivirus will be dangerous, so install Windows and then avast, then update to SP3.
Others also will ask to download SP3, disconnect, disable avast, install SP3.

slvrniteguy

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 03:13:29 PM »
true.  I just still don't understand how starting another program like AIM could trigger the same effects as if I was using IE 8.0.  I also noticed that when I go to windows update it does the same thing too.  As if overloading the webshield triggers a blocking of the net?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 09:54:59 PM »
As if overloading the webshield triggers a blocking of the net?
Can you rephrase, please, to a non-native English? I'm not following you.

slvrniteguy

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 10:12:26 PM »
Sorry, when I use AIM or go to update windows website the browsers' connection reset and I cannot connect anymore (like someone turning off my internet).  If I don't use those I can access the net.  This only happens when web shield is on.  If web shield is stopped then everything works.

slvrniteguy

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 05:23:28 AM »
Alright so I reinstalled windows xp, sp3, avast, spyboy search and destroy and it's working perfectly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 12:14:10 AM »
Well... you've done the hard way, but it works ;D