Author Topic: Problem with avast! anti virus interface:  (Read 8315 times)

TheRebel

Problem with avast! anti virus interface:
« on: May 13, 2009, 07:47:39 PM »
Dear Moderator(s),

I'm really facing this problem very often now. If I click on Start avast! Antivirus (by right clicking on the avast! icon in the system try), it starts memory test and after completing memory test, it doesn't appear, and makes my PC very slow. And only after I exit yahoo!, msn messengers, the avast! antivirus interface appears.  :(

I've tried it by stopping the memory test as well, but even then the avast! anti virus interface doesn't appear unless i exit yahoo and msn messengers and some other active windows :(

But this problem only happens first time when i start avast! anti virus, after then it doesn't happen. I've tried it by re installing avast! anti virus, but still the problem persists.

I'm using;

Avast! Free Home Edition 4.8
Windows XP service pack 3
1.6GHz Dual Core
1GB RAM

Please help me , I dont want to uninstall avast! Home Edition, it is excellent.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Problem with avast! anti virus interface:
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
What happens if you run ashSimp2.exe from avast folder?
Did you try to download another skin from site?
The best things in life are free.

TheRebel

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Dear Tech,

Thanks for ur response.

And yep I've tried 3 to 4 other skins as well, but the problem persists.

And what is ashSimp2.exe? U can't run any file from Avast folder i guess. Right??? Will I've to send a shortcut of this to desktop first?

Regards.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 11:57:22 PM »
You can run directly from the avast4 folder, what happens when you double click it ?

You may get windows ask if it is OK to run it but other than that no restriction.

Has this function worked before as you have been using avast for a little while now ?

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
As the problem you described is commonly associated with remnants of a previous AV.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

TheRebel

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:40:06 PM »
Dear DavidR,

Thank you for ur response.  :)

Yeah i checked it, one can run directly from avast4 folder.

And regarding remnants of previous anti virus, as per ur guidance, I ran registery cleaner and AVGREMOVAL tool, and all the remnants (if any) were completely removed.

Yep, I've been facing this problem since I installed avast! free home edition.

It happens only ist time in the current window session, that when I click on avast! anti virus, it doesn't appear, and what I've noticed, I just exit yahoo! messenger, then the avast! anti viurs interface appears.  :( And after that even if yahoo messenger is running, avast! interface opens if i click on it.

I don't know what exactly this problem is. May be I need to re install yahoo messenger.

Even ashSimp2.exe doesn't open (ist time in the current window session...that is I try it again it opens, but when i restart my pc, again the same problem happens).

It should not be a memory problem, as I've 1GB RAM.

Do u've any solution for this problem???
Regards.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 11:16:04 PM »
It is a mystery to me to and not one I can recall seeing on the forums.

I don't use Yahoo either though it would seem strange if there is any interaction. I wouldn't have thought that it was memory related.

You could open Task Manager before you try to run it for the first time and see what your CPU load and RAM usage is. Also check if the ashSimpl.exe or ashSimp2.exe appear as Processes in the task manager.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 11:44:32 PM »
I know Igor has posted the solution... only that I never copy it out and update avast4.ini file.
It's a workaround similar to when Sunbelt Kerio started to bring interface problems to avast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 12:30:06 AM »
Well this is I believe what you mean, though I'm not sure how it would effect this (though it won't hurt to try it) as it is normally associated with remnants of memue, etc. not something not appearing.

- Menu, Display Remnants, Log Viewer Remnants, Graphics glitches, etc. - Menu, Display Remnants, Log Viewer Remnants, Graphics glitches, etc.
- Edit the C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\avast4.ini using Notepad [Common] section, add the following line to the section SunbeltKPFHack=2, save the file, you will be prompted by the avast! Self-defence module if this is OK answer Yes. Whilst this is primarily for Sunbelt or Kerio Personal Firewalls it may well work even if you don't use either of these firewalls.

Also see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37609.msg315764#msg315764 - Also see, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=40840.msg342656#msg342656 which mentions a similar issue relating to McAfee Site Advisor and remnants of menus, etc.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 12:37:19 AM »
Yeah... I've though it was that... maybe I'm wrong.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 01:47:31 AM »
It certainly won't hurt to try, but I'm not to hopeful.

TheRebel

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 11:47:18 AM »
Dear DavidR,

Thanks for ur response.

Yeah it is a kind of mystery for me too, never happened before.

In this current window session, I've clicked on avast! anti virus, and again the interface doesn't appear, before opening the CPU usage was nothing and memory usage (physical + virtual) 608/2441MB approx.

Now, the avast! anti virus interface has not appeared yet, coz i've not exited yahoo! messenger yet. But ashSimpl.exe is there in the Processes utilizing 8,816K memory.

Ok, Let me try what you have mentioned above :)

Thanks.

Regards.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 11:56:29 AM by TheRebel »

TheRebel

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 12:41:32 PM »
Dear DavidR,

Oh wow... It is working now.  ;D

I made the amendments as u said, restarted my PC, and it is working now :) avast! anti virus interface opens even if yahoo! messenger is working.

But just want to know that will these amendments affect the resident shield protection or any other kind of performance/protection of avast! free home edition anti virus ?

And if u have time, can u please explain me what SunbeltKPFHack=2 actually is?

And I'm really thankful to you bro for solving my problem.

And thanks to you too Tech :).

Regards.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 01:48:52 PM »
And thanks to you too Tech :).
You're welcome. Glad that it worked. As I remember, some interface glitches could be corrected by that workaround.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »
And if u have time, can u please explain me what SunbeltKPFHack=2 actually is?
A technical explanation here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=37609.msg315958#msg315958

TheRebel

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 02:14:44 PM »
Dear Tech,

Yep, I'm glad too that it has really worked very well :)

And yeah I read the technical information, but that is too technical I guess.

Can u just tell me adding that file in avast4.ini would have any effect on the performance of avast! ?

Regards. :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 02:17:18 PM by TheRebel »