Author Topic: How to intepret the Result of Last Scan Report  (Read 9379 times)

ubuntolover

How to intepret the Result of Last Scan Report
« on: May 13, 2009, 04:52:48 PM »
Hi

I am new to Linux and Avast Linux Home Edition.  Upon successful installation of Avast Linux Home Edition, I invoked Avast and did the first scan to the Home directory (quick scan, and without Test Archive), the Result of Last Scan report come up with all the files in my home directory, right click on the file give me the Move/Rename, Delete and Move to Chest option while the Repair option is grey out.  I don't think those files on the report has anything wrong and should be flagged bu Avast, any idea?

Kenny

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: How to intepret the Result of Last Scan Report
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:27:37 PM »
Hi

I am new to Linux and Avast Linux Home Edition.  Upon successful installation of Avast Linux Home Edition, I invoked Avast and did the first scan to the Home directory (quick scan, and without Test Archive), the Result of Last Scan report come up with all the files in my home directory, right click on the file give me the Move/Rename, Delete and Move to Chest option while the Repair option is grey out.  I don't think those files on the report has anything wrong and should be flagged bu Avast, any idea?

Kenny

hallo,
this is probably some bud, but reported first. please, try avast (not avastgui) in your home directory - would report files as infected too?

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Sand

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 12:08:38 PM »
Avast behaves in the same way on my Acer Aspire One Linpus Linux. After any Quick scan the Result of last scan window displays a list of files, about 1000 files after a scan of the Home directory and more than 10000 files after Entire system. Using the Standard scan option this window displays files with the comment Error while scanning /Permission denied; 2 files after scanning Home directory and some pages of files after Entire system.
What am I supposed to do with this files?
No files are listed as infected.
Is there a user manual for avast! Antivirus for Linux?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 07:30:17 PM »
Avast behaves in the same way on my Acer Aspire One Linpus Linux. After any Quick scan the Result of last scan window displays a list of files, about 1000 files after a scan of the Home directory and more than 10000 files after Entire system. Using the Standard scan option this window displays files with the comment Error while scanning /Permission denied; 2 files after scanning Home directory and some pages of files after Entire system.
What am I supposed to do with this files?
No files are listed as infected.
Is there a user manual for avast! Antivirus for Linux?

Hallo,
verify whether the files, marked with permission denied, are really accessible for you. It's normal, for example, that user A won't have access to the files of user B's home, although their directory listing might be possible.

Probably, the path that you're scanning (you home directory) was polluted with some files with bad permission - probably, use root account chmod -r to fix it (it has no sense to keep such files, not readable for you, in your home directory :).

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Sand

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 10:56:47 AM »
Hi!

Scanning with settings Home directory / Standard results in two files displayed in the window Results of last scan:
/home/user/.wh..wh.plink   Error while scanning   Permission denied
/home/user/.dbus              Error while scanning   Permission denied
The File manager displays .dbus but not .wh..wh.plink, just .wh..wh.aufs which is an empty text file and can be opened. .dbus is a 4 kb folder and can not be opened. Both the folder and the file have root properties.
There are no A- and B-users on the PC, just root and the user.
OK, I'll remove this two files. Why not using right mouse click on the line in the window Results of last scan and use the Delete option (The other two options are Move/Rename and Move to chest) instead of using the terminal and chmod -r to fix it?

What do you recommend me to do with the 1000s of files Result of scan displays after a Quick scan? All listed files are accessible by the File manager, can be opened and should, I guess, not be deleted. Just three examples after a Home directory / Quick scan:
/home/user/Documents/Gramps/gr.grdb (The utmost essential data file of the genealogy software I use. I wouldn't want to loose it, even if I have an updated security back up file off the PC.)
/home/user/Photoframe/ss-1.jpg (Default examples of saved jpg-files. If I had pictures of my own on this PC, they would be listed in the same way and of course I wouldn't like to have them deleted either.)
/home/user/.galculator (Last settings of the Calculator application of the Acer Aspire One Linpus Linux default setup.)

Does Results of last scan just display each and every file avast! scanned for virus infection, without any comment whether they are infected with virus(es) or not? Would it not be better just to tell Files XXX (file list) are infected or No infected files found?

Does there exist any user manual for avast! Antivirus for Linux?

Thank you for your support.

Regards
/Sebastian G.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 12:17:19 PM »

>What do you recommend me to do with the 1000s of files Result of scan displays after a Quick scan? All listed files are accessible by the File manager, can be opened and should, I guess, not be deleted. Just three examples after a Home directory / Quick scan:

I don't know what is a "File Manager" and under which account it runs, but - the thing is definite - those files AREN'T readable for the user which runs avastgui.
So it's up to you to get rid of them OR set proper permissions to them (chmod -r 755 files...)

>Does Results of last scan just display each and every file avast! scanned for virus infection, without any comment whether they are infected with virus(es) or not? Would it not be better just to tell Files XXX (file list) are infected or No infected files found?

this is how it works, what's reported are unusual permissions OR infection. Normally, you home shouldn't contain those "anomalities".

regards,
pc

[/quote]