Author Topic: Why doesen't Avast! scan Cookies?  (Read 5155 times)

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Why doesen't Avast! scan Cookies?
« on: May 14, 2009, 01:14:14 AM »
I think I am unsecure having cookies, SuperAntiSpyware detects them but not Avast. I feel way unsecure after I uninstalled Spybot Search and Destroy and SuperAntiSpyware because my computer was flooded. More information about that is here: Link is being transfered. Please wait...

So I was wondering if having tracking cookies would steal information. For example, you visit a site, enter your credit card and more and then it saves a cookie of what you entered so it can load faster. Well then you go to this site, and it reads all known bank cookies, and sends them to there staff. Well, then the staff steal your money and you strike poor. Will that happen? If so, why can't it be a option to scan for cookies while Avast! is scanning?
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Why doesen't Avast! scan Cookies?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 01:44:07 AM »
As in the other topic which I posted in, because it is a waste of time, cookies are neither spyware, malware or viruses. I suggest that you read the link given to the Wiki link about what HTTP Cookies are.

See topic, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45242.0
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 01:46:18 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Reductase

Re: Why doesen't Avast! scan Cookies?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 01:48:13 AM »
Cookies are not a huge concern when properly understood.  They go to the original server site and because of that some can track what sites you have visited (ad tracking cookies as an example).  These 3rd party cookies can be blocked in most browsers to eliminate almost all occurances of them. 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_cookie