Author Topic: Owned by a website with loads of malware and Iframes...  (Read 13405 times)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Owned by a website with loads of malware and Iframes...
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 12:18:28 AM »

Quote from: mkis on Today at 03:42:55 AM
Hi there Donovansrb10

Okay if I ask whether you trawl around web looking to pick up viruses so then you can put into work your learning on anti-malware options.
Yeah...

My life is boring. I havent sunk my teeth into a real virus for ages. I live in hope.  ;D

Anthony Aykut. About him: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/anthony-aykut/0/35a/a82

Im impressed.  :o

why don't you immunize your Hosts file to enjoy surfing a web without ads and also block any traffic from your computer to bad urls

And see which of your newsprint agencies is peppering you with hidden iframe ads as well as giving you the news. Can be a real eye-opener, especially when you find one that actual keeps everything above board. One of my local rags is clean as a whistle, pure news frames only. My estimation of them has risen markedly, even when the news is garbage.   :D
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 12:30:42 AM »
Hi mkis,

Here is where we teach the youth, and we know/knew what we were doing when we were young (I am a reverted 16 year old, which translates to 61 as my age, so in my younger days there was no Internet, just an electric typewriter). Young people are so privileged to-day as they have so many opportunities to learn things where we had more room to experiment without restrictions. Also the anonymity found on the Internet can make young people have a choice to go two ways - a dark path and a lighter one, and some even have a chance to switch the path they're on (free from the Led Zeppelin song). But those that want to succeed need some boot-camp training here, make a lot of mistakes and learn not to repeat those, and then the end result of that the 61 year old calls "experience",

polonus aka Damian
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 12:37:27 AM »
And see which of your newsprint agencies is peppering you with hidden iframe ads as well as giving you the news. Can be a real eye-opener, especially when you find one that actual keeps everything above board. One of my local rags is clean as a whistle, pure news frames only. My estimation of them has risen markedly, even when the news is garbage.   :D
??? ???
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 01:46:37 AM »
Hi there

Quote from: mkis on Today at 10:18:28 PM
And see which of your newsprint agencies is peppering you with hidden iframe ads as well as giving you the news. Can be a real eye-opener, especially when you find one that actual keeps everything above board. One of my local rags is clean as a whistle, pure news frames only. My estimation of them has risen markedly, even when the news is garbage.   

Here is first (1) local rag (news website) with clean frames and then under that is (2) different local rag with invisible iframes in pages (between clean 'news frames', if you like). I have redded out the names of the particular news sites.

(1) Clean news frames

http://pics.livejournal.com/emkis/pic/0002d3s4/g49

(2) News frames with hidden iframes

http://pics.livejournal.com/emkis/pic/0002eq35/g49

When viewing local news website, I check back through immediate browsing history to see how may iframes ads had been slotted into the web page (i.e into the frame that is actual visible - you cannot actual see those 'ad.bureau' frames in (2) - because they are hidden in the page)

I'm in a bit of a hurry but this is the best I can do for now. Also I dont use features on Avast text editor much so hope all comes out okay.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 01:56:57 AM by mkis »

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 01:53:52 AM »
Still have no clue...
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 02:17:39 AM »
Well, in answer to the question you asked me, I have some reason to believe you found the original link you posted while maybe looking to score Avast pro for free.

Some of the other users are suggesting that maybe one day you'll be interested in collecting malware from the standpoint of learning better how to teach people to circumvent it. A noble mission, and maybe one day you will.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 03:34:19 AM »
Hi there Donovansrb10

Okay if I ask whether you trawl around web looking to pick up viruses so then you can put into work your learning on anti-malware options.

Yeah...

My life is boring. I havent sunk my teeth into a real virus for ages. I live in hope. 

Not so long ago I was detecting and removing viruses on a daily basis. My immediate circle picked up how to keep their PCs virus free. I think this was happening with other people as well. So awareness of anti-malware methods grew and keeps growing. I can't complain but I do get less work. Never mind, I've got lots of other things to do. I'm never really bored. But I am looking forward to my next virus job. Not that I would bother deliberately downloading one (unless I was Anthony Aykut of course).

Since Christmas, very little work has come in off the street. I think the recession is the main reason. Even when people tell me they have viruses, they have more important priorities. I have had an infected PC due for two weeks (he has a virus, has lost his admin access) but as yet has not turned up. Plus new computers are very very cheap at the moment, so sometimes people dont want to to keep on with a machine that once had a virus. A contact in the industry buys older computers (4 yrs old) as scrap and sends them back to Asia. You have to pay him $5 to come pick them up or donate to a charity if you want to drop them off at refuse points at local supermarkets. Another contact who is a Microsoft reseller loads bona fide XP Home for $NZ140 and XP Pro for $240 with product key with all drivers, etc...smooth running. If virus wrecks your Vista and you have sticker, he loading Vista even cheaper, and you got back same product key as on your sticker. So, as far antivirus work goes, the depressed market has meant a lot of other options for people who become infected with malware. So work dried up for the moment. But not really bored. Only joking - local humour.

Here is where we teach the youth,

Hi Polonus

We're actually trying to run some kind of antivirus course through the local education curricula - mainly for tertiary students and adult learners who need to use computer technology but are not actually in the industry. For home computers and SOHO setups mainly. Still at a very early stage but there is some interest. Would help me to keep my workbook full.   

I was thinking along the Anthony Aykut line, when I said I hope a virus turns up soon. Regards, Mark.

Still have no clue...

Your a lot sharper than you make out Donovansrb10. You make good anti-malware if you want.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 03:38:27 AM by mkis »

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."