Author Topic: windows notification: computer not protected warning  (Read 9134 times)

leon

windows notification: computer not protected warning
« on: May 16, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »
Hi,
I have the avast home edition installed since a long time ago and never had no problem until today.
It turns out there is this persistent red shield from windows warning saying my computer is not protected... but avast is running! It seems that for some reason windows doesn't recognise avast any more.
I'm puzzled here! The warning always disappeared right after updating but not this time.
Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Leon.

dansorin

Re: windows notification: computer not protected warning
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 03:48:11 PM »
check if avast is updated. if it is, you may need to reset the repository.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 04:56:05 PM »
What is your OS ?

This is a common issue with the Security Center.

Try this:
* Click Start, Run and type CMD.EXE

* Type this command and press Enter:

net stop winmgmt

* Using Windows Explorer, rename the folder %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository. (For example, %windir%\System32\Wbem\Repository_bad.). %windir% represents the path to the Windows directory, which is typically C:\Windows.

* Switch to Command Prompt window, and type the following and press ENTER after each line:

net start winmgmt

EXIT
Reboot

Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

leon

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »
Hi,
thanks for the replies.
* Dansorin: avast is updated.
* DavidR: I'm using WinXP-Home ed.
I tried what you suggested but could not rename the Repository folder (when I tried to write-unprotect the folder it goes back to protected state)

Leon

dansorin

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 05:42:27 PM »
stop the security center service too, then try again.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 05:53:10 PM »
* DavidR: I'm using WinXP-Home ed.
I tried what you suggested but could not rename the Repository folder (when I tried to write-unprotect the folder it goes back to protected state)

Are you trying to do this from an account with admin privileges ?
As that may be what you are encountering.

If first stopping the security center and running that again, try this.

If you are running Windows XP, Service Pack 2 or 3 you can use a single command to detect and repair a corrupted WMI Repository. To do so, type the following from the command prompt (note that the parameter UpgradeRepository is case-sensitive and must be typed exactly as shown):

rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository

I believe this can also be run directly from the Windows Start, Run input box.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 05:54:47 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

leon

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 09:13:02 PM »
Hi, thank you.
* Dansorin: the "net stop winmgmt" stops the security center.
* DavidR: My account has admin privileges.
I managed to rename the Repository folder and follow what you said but unfortunatelly I had no luck. The warning is still there after rebooting.
I also wrote the command "rundll32 wbemupgd, UpgradeRepository" and a window pops saying it fails to load wbemupgd. It couldn't find the module.
I run this command from the command prompt and from the windows Start, run input box.
Oh, by the way. I haven't had any other AV for years now.

Any other idea?
Leon

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 09:16:02 PM »
Sometimes, Windows Security Center stop recognizing your antivirus or firewall... So, check your system time and date and also http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534

See also: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/repairwmi.htm
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 09:26:11 PM »
Well I don't know what else to suggest as one or other of the previous suggestion has usually bump started the WSC.

You could try a clean reinstall:
Download the latest version of avast http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you reinstall.

Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, find it here and save it to your HDD.
  • 1. Now uninstall (using add remove programs, if you can't do that start from the next step), reboot.
  • 2. run the avast! Uninstall Utility, reboot.  If step 1 failed it may be necessary to run this from safe mode, once complete reboot into normal mode.
  • 3. install the latest version, reboot.

It doesn't matter if it was years ago, if remnants are present they could rear their ugly head at any time in the future, which is why I asked for the name (we have links to some other AV uninstall tools)

leon

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2009, 02:11:26 PM »
Hi, thanks for the replies.
* DavidR: unfortunately the warning stills appears after uninstalling, reinstalling and rebooting... bugger! The good thing is that now, when I run the .bat file Tech posted in http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=23457.msg193534#msg193534 the warning disappears. However it comes back after booting again.

I could settle for that, running the .bat file every time I boot but then, the question is whether the computer is equally protected. It may seem a silly question to you but not to me since I have no idea what the windows management system represents and does.

Leon

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »
Well that basically confirms the problem is not avast but the WSC, which has for whatever reasons been flaky at times.

As far as is the system protected:
1. The avast icon should be on the tray and should be rotating when it is scanning, so you should be able to see that when the system is booting. A missing icon also doesn't mean you aren't protected you need to chesk step 3.
2. You should also be able to see if there is a Red circle with bar over the avast icon if it isn't running.
3. You should be able to hover the mouse pointer over the avast icon and it will say how many providers installed and how many running.
4. Lastly you can open the task manager and see what avast processes are running they begin with ash or asw and the most important being ashServ.exe (the main scanning engine).
So all in all more clues than you can shake a stick at that avast is running as it should.

There is nothing to stop you placing a shortcut to the .bat file in your startup folder. Or as some suggest enter the control center and elect to monitor the anti-virus yourself.

leon

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 04:31:10 PM »
Hi, thanks.
That was great help.

Leon.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2009, 04:54:17 PM »
You're welcome.

leon

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 08:41:53 PM »
Hi, I know this is already history but just for the records.
I found out why windows didn't recognized avast as my AV. It turned out that my Path environment variable had been messed up and it missed the "C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;" part.
Thanks again,

Leon.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 10:02:27 PM »
Thanks for the feed back, hopefully it might help others.