Author Topic: VRDB Last File is Empty  (Read 2384 times)

andy_zim

VRDB Last File is Empty
« on: May 20, 2009, 02:21:08 PM »
I just installed Avast and am trying to generate the VRDB for the first time.  The icon spun for hours last night, but this morning Avast is telling me that VRDB is not done yet (18 hours passed).  I searched this forum and found a suggestion to check the Avast4.ini file for VRDB section, and see if it is stumbling on the "Last File=".  Unfortunately, mine is empty. 

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong when trying to set up VRDB?

Also...Is there a performance hit on my machine if I set up VRDB?  Is it best that I don't generate it, nor turn it on?

Thank you

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VRDB Last File is Empty
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 02:27:32 PM »
It stores the necessary info to restore executables (*.exe, *.com) files.
VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files).
Besides, only Win32 executables are processed.
VRDB is a generic method, storing file parts that are often target of virus infections. Actually, VRDB scans all the local hard disks for executable files and stores some info about them. VRDB is not a backup system, the stored information is very small (not the whole files). Besides, only Win32 executables are processed. The VRDB data are stored in <avast>\Data\Integ\avast.int

It's not that useful nowadays. It takes resources to be created (of course), but nothing that much as it requires the computer to be in idle state (8 seconds without keyboard and mouse activity) or in screen saver time.

Do you use Vista?

LastFile= value is empty on mine but I'm sure VRDB finished its creation.
The best things in life are free.

rolandl

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 09:24:14 PM »
Hi Andy: I just did a VRDB check for first time using Tech's suggestion. I had tried it just from the icon and it didn't work. I then went to the integ folder in program files.. it has 29,500 files in it, opened it and found it is in that garbled language I dont understand. So, now I dont know what the score is with its findings. It took about one hour or so to complete with avast screen saver.
Am wondering is there a way to find out if there are any viruses in there.. my windows XP home has been crashing a lot.
Thanks for the info Tech.
Roland.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:29:51 PM »
Welcome rolandl

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware then install and update it then do a Quick scan and let it reemove whatever it finds and a reboot may be necessary to remove locked files:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Post a HijackThis log after:
http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 09:53:30 PM »
I then went to the integ folder in program files.. it has 29,500 files in it
It should be only one file with, maybe, 29,500Kb.
It's not made to be opened. Only avast can read it internally.
The best things in life are free.