Author Topic: How did you find out about Avast?  (Read 16276 times)

roro

Re: How did you find out about Avast?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2009, 06:33:10 AM »
About 25 years ago, I had an Apple Macintosh which was supposed to be user friendly with floppy disks. That was before connecting to the internet so no security was needed.  I always called it my glorified typewriter.  Eventually I purchased a computer with Windows 95 and only 4MB of RAM as I remember.  At that time I think that was the most you could get, and a gig of hard drive was not possible.    I can't believe that was 14 years ago.  How computers have changed. 
I know that doesn't really answer the question, but it made me nostalgic.
RoRo

cod head

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2009, 11:00:42 AM »
When I bought my laptop it had Norton pre -installed.My brother who has been using computers for years unlike me said you are better of getting rid of that has after ninety days they start charging you and its not that great anyway so get Avast instead.So I got rid of Norton and Avast is the only av I have ever used and based on its performance to date it may well be the only one I will ever use.

YoKenny

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 01:25:13 PM »
I started with a computer running '98 on 16Mb of RAM.

I can't belive you could be on a PC like that. :o
I started using a PC in '82 that had 16K RAM that ran DOS 1.1 with a 13in 640x408 CGA green screen that sort of looked like the screen in The Matrix with the characters all over the screen.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 04:08:12 PM »
Was at the Lincoln County School of Technology and the Network Admin for the school system had it on his personal laptop (this was back in the Avast32 3.0 days for those that remember) And he showed it to me. T
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »
I started with a computer running '98 on 16Mb of RAM.

I can't belive you could be on a PC like that. :o
I started using a PC in '82 that had 16K RAM that ran DOS 1.1 with a 13in 640x408 CGA green screen that sort of looked like the screen in The Matrix with the characters all over the screen.

I can't belive that...
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 09:47:49 PM »
OT (sorry) my older brother was one of the more original computer nerds in the seventies. "State-of-the-art" was a behemoth of a thing called an IBM360. It was programed using punch cards; that was the only user interface. Occupied two large offices, stored everything on original floppies (like old vinyl records, but about twice the size) and had about the same computing power as a cellphone.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

YoKenny

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »
OT (sorry) my older brother was one of the more original computer nerds in the seventies. "State-of-the-art" was a behemoth of a thing called an IBM360. It was programed using punch cards; that was the only user interface. Occupied two large offices, stored everything on original floppies (like old vinyl records, but about twice the size) and had about the same computing power as a cellphone.

I worked on an IBM System/360 Model 65 that had 256K memory that was made from small ferrite doughnut shaped things that represented one bit and each byte (character) was 8 bits + parity bit so that was a lot of doughnuts:
http://www.computerhistory.org/collections/accession/102635888
http://www-03.ibm.com/ibm/history/exhibits/mainframe/mainframe_2423PH2065C.html

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 10:26:47 PM »
I found it from av-comparatives test result :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 02:21:15 PM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

iddawg717

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 01:20:35 AM »
 ;D About 6 months I simply did a search for "free anti-virus real time protection".
I got tired of running an anti-virus that would let in whatever was out there.
Thank you for the use of this forum and for AVAST.
iddawg717

Jahn

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »
I saw Avast listed as one of the recommended free antivirus programs in one of the now closed MSN Groups (circa 2003). The group preferred AVG which is what I installed first, but a slow system and the clunky, difficult to understand UI sent me to the alternative which was Avast. I've had Avast installed on at least one system since. :)

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 01:27:24 PM »
I started to look for an alternative, after my Kaspersky missed the KLEZ worm back in 2004

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2009, 02:02:55 PM »
First Norton then McAfee... Yes, I confess my dark past ;D
Then AVG...
Poor configurability, poor update scheme made me change to avast.
I had a problem with DOS programs and Kubecj and Vlk solved my problem at that time.
So am I.
The best things in life are free.