Author Topic: "VPS file was destroyed"  (Read 11620 times)

Spooner

"VPS file was destroyed"
« on: May 16, 2009, 11:39:21 PM »
Hi all,

My install of avast! in Ubuntu Hardy has started to throw up an error message when started, thus: "An error occurred in avast! engine. VPS file was destroyed". It stops there and doesn't get to the GUI. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with a freshly-downloaded package & also manually deleting the 400.VPS file in case it was corrupt (several times!), but no luck. I wonder if in fact the problem may lie with some other part of the file system that avast! uses, as uninstalling & reinstalling doesn't work.

I would be very grateful for advice! Thanks in anticipation,

Chris 

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: "VPS file was destroyed"
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:36:33 PM »
Hi all,

My install of avast! in Ubuntu Hardy has started to throw up an error message when started, thus: "An error occurred in avast! engine. VPS file was destroyed". It stops there and doesn't get to the GUI. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling with a freshly-downloaded package & also manually deleting the 400.VPS file in case it was corrupt (several times!), but no luck. I wonder if in fact the problem may lie with some other part of the file system that avast! uses, as uninstalling & reinstalling doesn't work.

I would be very grateful for advice! Thanks in anticipation,

Chris 

hallo,
use strace -f to get a clue, why the vps file (let's suppose it's full, valid, not corrupted and _present_ in the proper path) isn't loaded. It's either corrupted file, OR a problem in the vps's path.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

Spooner

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:40:33 PM »
Thanks for your advice. Although using "strace -f avastgui" resulted in the pc locking up and a hard reset, I did see a reference to the 400.vps file not being found in the output that had occurred before the lockup. Further investigation revealed that this was a different 400.vps (or the same one but in a different place) to the one I had been deleting... aha! Deleting this one cured the problem. And I learnt a bit about troubleshooting Linux too - can't be bad. Thanks again for your help.

All the best

Chris

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 04:07:46 PM »
Thanks for your advice. Although using "strace -f avastgui" resulted in the pc locking up and a hard reset, I did see a reference to the 400.vps file not being found in the output that had occurred before the lockup. Further investigation revealed that this was a different 400.vps (or the same one but in a different place) to the one I had been deleting... aha! Deleting this one cured the problem. And I learnt a bit about troubleshooting Linux too - can't be bad. Thanks again for your help.

All the best

Chris

Man, strace is just another ptrace-based tool, which does nothing wrong with the traced process - there must be something very broken in your kernel :). What kind of distribution is it? Bud i'm glad that it works for you now :>.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

moki

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:32:45 PM »
I have exactly the same problem as Chris.  The 400.VPS file is in the /usr/lib/avast4workstation/var directory. This is the only one which I found. I cannot delete this file. I tried deleting in terminal and get a message that the file is "write protected" and "permission denied". What do I do next.I am running Ubuntu 9.04.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »
I have exactly the same problem as Chris.  The 400.VPS file is in the /usr/lib/avast4workstation/var directory. This is the only one which I found. I cannot delete this file. I tried deleting in terminal and get a message that the file is "write protected" and "permission denied". What do I do next.I am running Ubuntu 9.04.

Hallo, this is the VPS which came with avast4workstation installer - a failsafe one.
When doing an update, new one is obtained, but stored elsewhere (~/.avast/400.vps). When this new one gets damaged/unusable, yes, then the best you can do is to delete this bad file, avast will start hapilly using the failsafe one - then, you can press "update" and download new fresh one.

regards,
pc