Author Topic: VRDB disappearance!  (Read 2196 times)

White-Knight

VRDB disappearance!
« on: May 17, 2009, 11:06:07 AM »

Hello to all,

This is my first foray into the world of forums (OK, for the pedants among you, it should be fora), so please be gentle . . . LOL!   In fact, it is with great embarrassment, I declare this to be the first time I've tried using a forum.  Since I am very kindly disposed to the company and its products, it seems fitting that my virginity is surrendered to the "avast! Forum" . . . well, it did to me anyway!

Does this mean I’m a newbie nerd?  No way!  Actually, I'm an "old bloke" from Oz (Australia), who has simply never had the inclination or motivation . . . you know, no great desire or pressing need to log onto a forum!

However, on this occasion, I've been blessed with a few spare (and rare) free moments and simultaneously been puzzled by the sudden and (to me) inexplicable manifestation of the following idiosyncratic “avast!” behaviour:

1.   The VRDB System Tray icon has always happily coexisted with the main “avast!” icon.  (Yes, I’m aware the icons can be merged . . . but they weren’t!)

2.   With absolutely no user intervention (or none, to which anyone here is prepared to admit), the VRDB icon disappeared from the System Tray.

3.   Next, I checked (right clicked) the main “avast!” icon, but it hadn’t been merged there.  In fact, there was no mention at all, in the menu (or the sub menus) in respect of “VRDB” or “Merging.”  (Does this provide any clue, as to what may have happened?)

Finally, the irascible old bastard (that’s me folks) is approaching the purpose of this whole exercise, which is to ask:

1.   Can any young genius or software guru out there explain how and/or why the VRDB icon disappeared?

2.   Where it may have gone (and how it could have possibly been so upset or alienated, as to want to leave . . . LOL!)?

Thanks and regards,

White-Knight

ManyQs

Re: VRDB disappearance!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:19:25 AM »

Actually, over the years I've had mine disappear for no apparent reason, but the next time I booted up it was back. Might just be the case with yours. Did you do a reboot?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: VRDB disappearance!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:00:57 AM »
For the 'i' icon (VRDB): http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=14356.msg121337#msg121337
Check your avast4.ini file settings. Click 'Settings' in my signature and browse for the VRDB section.
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=1647.msg10271#msg10271
[VRDB]
MergeIcons   =0
Disabled=0
ShowTaskbarIcon=1
The best things in life are free.