Author Topic: Saving Settings  (Read 2272 times)

gs2088a

Saving Settings
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:08:16 PM »
Hey all:

I'm new to AVAST, sort of.  Earlier in the year, I was going to use it, and then didn't, because I had an unused copy of Norton Internet Security 2008 (for 3 PCs).  Well in the past five months I've come to extremely loathe NIS.  Why (this isn't an all inclusive list)?

1.  They no longer provide for scanning of e-mail attachments automatically, they will only be scanned when you attempt to open them.  Thus viruses, etc can get on your system.

2.  They no longer allow you to block ActiveX components.

3.  They no longer give you options on what to update during their update process.

4.  They no longer display what they are updating like in NIS 2006.  It is a blind trust.

5.  They have what I consider their version of SPAM.  It keep popping up telling me to upgrade to NIS 2009 for free, although I keep telling NIS not to display this message.

6.  I have a friend that has told me that NIS has royally messed up his system, and that the "Script Jockeys" at Norton was as useful as "tits on a bore hog" (my phrase).

Now, I'll get off my soapbox, so I can pose the question.  But, I have to give a little information first.  We have three computers, and software wise, they have been built up identically.  Currently I'm working on setting up the new firewall and AVAST on the desktop, to perfect the settings before I install them on my notebook and my wife's notebook computers.  What I would like to know is:

1.  Is it possible, and if so how can I backup the settings from AVAST (within the program), so I can import them into the other computers.  I understand that I would need to reenter the license key.

2.  If the above isn't possible, from within the program, what is the registry branch can I export, and import they registry branch into the other computers.

Thanks Loads!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Saving Settings
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 11:55:44 PM »
If you install in the same folder, you can copy avast4.ini and avast4.db files from <avast>\Data folder. Only few settings could be copied.
The best things in life are free.