Author Topic: ADNM Client failure  (Read 9908 times)

ACG_Support

ADNM Client failure
« on: May 18, 2009, 05:45:09 AM »
I've setup ADNM and have discovered the network. But when I tried to push the workstation deployment they have failed repeatedly. I've followed the manual pages 22-26 methodically and have yet to see where my fault was.

I've resorted to manually installing the Managed Network Client version of the software on 5 systems. The trouble is of the 5 only 2 are showing up in the Dynamic Computer groups are having the Avast Agent loaded. All of the rest of the systems ar showing up among those systems which havent been updated yet.

All of these computers are on the same physical site and are in the same subnet. I'm not sure why some are seen and others aren't.

I'm also real curious why I wasn't able to push the software like I hoped to. I have 40 more systems to deploy to...any pointers would be appreciated.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: ADNM Client failure
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 05:53:05 AM »
First thing's first.

Do the computers have a firewall enabled?

Are the computers windows Vista, or XP?

XP seems to work ok with the firewalls turned off.

vista has been known in my networks to not like to accept the package (mostly due to their firewall).

The first thing is first, check your remote installation log from within the ADNM console. I can't remember exactly where it is, but if you look in the menu, I think it's under View > AMS Logs > Remote Installation log or something like that. If you're a Network Admin, you should be able to figure it out.

Next, find out if it's permissions that are blocking you or what.

I've found that I've either had to disable all local firewalls, or add the appropriate entries into the firewalls using group policy if remote installation fails.

If you need help, I can give you the exact lines that you are supposed to put in your group policy to enable the ports on your clients, for proper installation.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 05:58:45 AM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

ACG_Support

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 06:06:49 AM »
Do the computers have a firewall enabled?

None are firewalled.

Are the computers windows Vista, or XP?
Entirely XP Pro SP2 or 3. A few Vista Business boxes will come shortly.

The first thing is first, check your remote installation log from within the ADNM console. I can't remember exactly where it is, but if you look in the menu, I think it's under View > AMS Logs > Remote Installation log or something like that. If you're a Network Admin, you should be able to figure it out.
I am and will look at those logs.

Next, find out if it's permissions that are blocking you or what.
That was my initial suspicion but I entered in the permissions in the appropriate format domain\Enduser and then the password. I also tried using a universal adminsitrators account I setup on all machines for software distribution.

I've found that I've either had to disable all local firewalls, or add the appropriate entries into the firewalls using group policy if remote installation fails.
There are no firewalls in the network. We use a combination of NAT via router and False IP but not firewall or filtering (outside of AV platform that is)

If you need help, I can give you the exact lines that your are supposed to put in your group policy to enable the ports on your clients, for proper installation.
Wouldn't know where to place the lines without a firewall.

ACG_Support

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 06:12:57 AM »
here's what the log shows..

05/17/09 20:50:19:   rinstInstall begin
05/17/09 20:50:19:   Init 50 60 C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\asw8DF.tmp C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Management Tools\InstPkgs NULL C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\asw8DE.tmp 0
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Store
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Domains: Company1,
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Init Company1\Az08B
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Az08B: GetAccount
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Az08B: Queueing
05/17/09 20:50:22:   StartThread
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Loop
05/17/09 20:50:22:   SpawnThreads
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Az08B: StartSetup
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Az08B: Connecting
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Az08B: WNetAddConnection2 \\Az08B\C$ Az08B\company1/administrator error 2202 (The specified username is invalid)
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Az08B: WNetAddConnection2 \\Az08B\ADMIN$ Az08B\company1/administrator error 2202 (The specified username is invalid)
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Az08B: RemoveOnError
05/17/09 20:50:22:   Az08B: Finished with error
05/17/09 20:50:22:   TerminateAll
05/17/09 20:50:22:   rinstInstall end 0

In the Push properties (installation package setup) the Credentials ask for the domain/workgroup - the acccount-and the password. This is a domain. Are things going loopy because they are requiring I repeat the domain twice in filling out the credentials? Example Company1 (domain field) Company1/Administrator (acocunt field)?

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 06:13:59 AM »
Wouldn't know where to place the lines without a firewall.

Well, if there are no firewalls installed, this would be an unnecessary step.

If you're credentials are good, there shouldn't be a THING stopping you from installing avast on the computers.... except maybe a previously installed A/V.

That's the only thing that I can think of at this point.

Other than that, you should be home sweet home by now brotha.

Like I said, I've installed Avast at probably 6-7 locations by now, and they all took it pretty smoothly (except of course the one that had McAfee installed previously).

Get rid of their crap that's left over from the uninstall, and usually it's a dream to install.

Lemme know.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 06:15:16 AM »
Sorry, I posted after you did.

hmm... why does it show domain name / username?

This is a windows network?  Have you tried domainname\username (notice the "backslash" instead of "forward slash")?

ACG_Support

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 06:17:26 AM »
Yes, it is a windows 2003 domain. I have tried the / and \, the user account, and my admin account.

I'm suspicious if the domain/domain/user is screwing the logic up. perhaps I'll try the domain/station/user and see what happens.

ps I'm working remotely...so its slow going and pretty much one system at a time.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 06:28:24 AM »
Well, if you have a domain username such as, "DOMAIN\ADMINISTRATOR" it should work fine.  The local machine should not concern you.

I understand that working remotely could slow you up.

Maybe your domain admin user has to be added as a local administrator to each local machine, but I've never encountered this.

ACG_Support

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 07:01:42 AM »
Not sure exactly what was wrong but its working now. I blew out the entire installation package and recreated it from the ground up.  I push installed to two system. It worked. My ego isn't such that I need to know so...I'll take it.

Unfortunately I still have to log into each system to uninstall their symantec endpoint clients and reboot before i can push avast. At least its only one login.

I still don't see all the Avast systems listed in the Dynamic computer groups as having Agents installed. Any suggestions there?

Jan Nabelek

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »
I still don't see all the Avast systems listed in the Dynamic computer groups as having Agents installed. Any suggestions there?
Something must block communication or agents cannont find AMS server...
What about WinXP embedded firewall - did you switch it off? If not, see pfirewall.log in Windows directory.
Or (much better) did you make an exception into firewall via Group Policy? If you use GP, you can set exception for programs in system.adm template (%ProgramFiles%\Avast4\aswServ.exe:localsubnet:enabled:Avast Servis)

And also check avast4.ini (on clients), if communication section has proper IP of ADNM (server address)
[Communication]
ServerAddress=192.168.1.111
ClientsListenPortAddress=16111

ACG_Support

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »
There are no firewalls loaded on any of the desktop systems I've installed to. Its a matter of policy since two of their DB applications  have real issues with local firewalls. laptops are another matter but I haven't installed to them yet.

I've push installed to 9 systems last night. Of the 9 only 4 show up as having Agents installed via the ADNM. I've rebooted and reinstalled to these systems without any change in status.

So far I'm at a loss to explain this.

Jan Nabelek

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2009, 06:20:43 PM »
So far I'm at a loss to explain this.
What about avast.ini as I asked previously? Did you compared it on "Bad" and "Good" machines? (via Total commander or other similar tool like Examdiff)

ACG_Support

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 08:03:07 AM »
Am looking into that now. Thanks