Author Topic: how to disable voice notification?  (Read 11055 times)

inhahe

how to disable voice notification?
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:20:35 AM »
i really hate that "virus database has been updated" voice notification. i don't need my PC talking to me.  and Avast doesn't seem to have the simple option to disable it.  so tried deleting/renaming vpsupd.wav, but i get "Access denied".   

what is the easiest way i can get rid of the friggin message?

thanxs

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: how to disable voice notification?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:31:13 AM »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:37:34 AM »

ManyQs

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 03:21:03 AM »

i really hate that "virus database has been updated" voice notification. i don't need my PC talking to me.  and Avast doesn't seem to have the simple option to disable it.  so tried deleting/renaming vpsupd.wav, but i get "Access denied".   

what is the easiest way i can get rid of the friggin message?

thanxs

This is kind of amusing for me, because for about three or fours years I used (still do) a unit that had no sound card.

You can imagine my surprise when I added a unit to my work station that has a sound card and then the I heard the first time, "Your virus database has been updated." WHAT! WHO THE HECK SAID THAT!!?

But it's a pleasant voice. I don't mind it so much. Better than the old crash sounds, no? Do they still have those on new computers? Last time I heard the crash sound was years ago.

inhahe

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 08:27:10 AM »
Yeah, it's not a bad voice.  I just feel imposed upon, for some reason, when voices come from my PC at random times. 

Thanks for the solutions

jo6pak

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »
I like the audible notifications (freaked me out the very first time, however) and is one reason I chose avast as my main AV client.  With other apps, they invariably seem to notify me of somethuing while I'm looking away.  I usually end up seeing the box as it is closing, but have no idea what it said.  Please don't take this feature away.