Author Topic: Simple User Interface  (Read 2855 times)

cici509

Simple User Interface
« on: May 17, 2009, 04:42:36 AM »
After Avast Scan, results of scan shows a list which says:
C:\Documents and Settings [E] "The device is not ready" (21) and the C:\ list continues for Application Data, Desktop, Documents, Favorites, Start Menus, Templates, AppData, etc. etc. with same comment after each item: "The device is not ready."
At the end of list it says   Infected Files: 0
What should I be doing to have Avast scan properly?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Simple User Interface
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 04:59:11 AM »
Hi, cici509, welcome to the forum.
What OS do you use, and what other security is running (if any) and what AV was installed before Avast?
Did you have any indication of malware before installing Avast?
Have you been able to run a scan with Avast in the past?

(Bit of history, please.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

cici509

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »
Thank you Tarq57 for your reply.
I use Windows Vista. I use Firefox with these AddOns: NoScript, JavaSE6, Picasa, ShockwaveFlash, Silverlight, Yahoo ActiveX Bridge. 
For Security I have: ZoneAlarm, SuperAntiSpyware,  Malwarebytes,  AdAware, CCleaner, Windows Defender. As far as I can tell, no reports of malware, etc.
I had AVG (and removed it) before Avast. I can always run the Avast Scan, but the same result appears each time I scan.
I'm not too computer literate--I follow Kim Komando's recommendations. Most times I stumble along until I solve a problem, but Avast problem confuses me.
Thanks for any help.

I

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 09:58:52 PM »
Try downloading and running the AVG Removal Tool, here (Use the one appropriate to your system; normally 32bit for most users, or the first tool), when you run it, run it as an administrator.
Carry out a repair install of Avast, by going to the control panel, programs, add/remove, selecting "Avast antivirus, then "change'', then select the repair option.
See how that goes.

cici509

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 02:02:15 AM »
Tarq57, I used the AVG removal tool (although I was pretty sure I had removed AVG awhile ago) and after using AVG uninstaller the following appeared:
New Program changes -   
Program changes detected:
Adobe Flash Player uninstaller 4.x (patched)
Removed Program:
MSOffice Power point Viewer 2003 (patched)
(I don't know what these two things had to do with the AVG Removal tool-there was no indication that AVG had been removed))
I then did an AVAST Change/Repair Install as you suggested.
Today I scanned my C Drive and External Drive with Avast. Once again the result was many C:\ files listed as "Unable to Scan-the device is not ready" such as:
C\:Docs and Settings  - Unable to Scan. The device is not ready.   
And
J:Claire-PC\Backup.db - Unable to scan. Archive is password protected.
I did a PrintScreen of the result page.
One other thing: On the Avast "radio looking" screen (where I tell Avast to scan, etc) today I noticed that on the VirusRecoveryDataBase (VRDB) line it says "Not done Yet." I don't remember seeing "Not done yet" prior to today, Maybe I just didn't notice.
Thank you for your suggestions. I have no clue as to what to do now.
cici509

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 03:14:41 AM »
Re: The uninstall tool...A lot of AV's leave stuff behind that the built in uninstaller sometimes does not remove, (including Norton, AVG, McAfee, and others.)
Hence the use of an uninstall tool. (Avast has one too, for difficult uninstalls.)

Re: Program changes detected...Do you use the Secunia PSI? I have no idea why the use of an AVG remover should have also removed the programs you list. Can you still view PowerPoint files? Might need to reinstall that one of you can't.
The Flash uninstaller is probably no big deal, you can get that easily enough if needed, but as to why they are removed, it's a mystery.

Re: The device is not ready errors..this has me flummoxed. Is the external drive plugged in and on?

Re: Archive is password-protected.. this is not unusual, and doesn't matter. (Try searching the forum for this sort of message in scan results.)

In summary, I don't really know what to do, either.
What I would try is downloading a fresh copy of Avast from the Avast website, download the Avast uninstall utility, go offline, and do a full uninstall/removal/re-install from scratch. Uninstall requires you to disable the self defense module (right click the tray icon, select "settings">"troubleshooting" and tick the appropriate box.)
Reboot whenever prompted in this process, and run the uninstaller before installing again.
Run  the uninstaller and then the installer file "as administrator", and "OK" your way through any UAC prompts.
(I have quite limited experience of Vista, but elements of it are a bit of a pain, to my mind.)

See how that goes.