Author Topic: is avast as lean as eset? as far as low profile and memory use?  (Read 6475 times)

oncdoc

whats ur thoughts

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: is avast as lean as eset? as far as low profile and memory use?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 12:19:09 AM »
You'll have to wait for an user of ESET to compare... there aren't many here as far I remember...
The best things in life are free.

cinchez

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 04:03:07 AM »
*I have a classmate that has been using ESET for a long time and i bet he is still using it until now...^^*

If memory serves me right, he said that ESET is good and has a high detection rate!

Unluckily ,He did not say something about the memory usage^^

-AnimeLover^^

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 05:28:48 AM »
the eset use less memory than avast, in part because it is programmed using low level programing language.
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

dell boy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 10:38:14 AM »
avast is pretty "lean" as you put it, on-demand scans were rated as "fast" by av comparitive in the latest test, on the performance test at av comparatives it achieved a Advanced+ so as Anti-virus software goes, avast is the "usain bolt" of Anti-viruses as such.  :D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 10:57:22 AM »
NOD32 is not light at all. Even if memory usage is low in general, it has massive CPU spikes when scanning certain executables and also causes major lags when scanning downloaded files. We have NOD32 at work and it's very annoying when you download stuff and everything basically freezes when its scanning downloaded file.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 11:15:15 AM »
-= In my experience, it was lighter on memory compared to avast.. But, bites-back on CPU.. Moreover, it couldn't completely disinfect my Flash Disk, I had to manually remove RECYCLER.exe & New Folder.exe..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Mr.Agent

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 01:13:20 PM »
Also you can provide a better AV (Avast!) and a better firewall more than the Eset one that is rating 4-5 % on matousec. So why you would pay for Eset when you can have better for free or paid as a AV with another firewall.

Well its up to you.

Mr.Agent

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 04:18:32 PM »
-= In my experience, it was lighter on memory compared to avast.. But, bites-back on CPU.. Moreover, it couldn't completely disinfect my Flash Disk, I had to manually remove RECYCLER.exe & New Folder.exe..

Memory really is a poor indication of the AV being light, RAM is cheap and plentiful on most systems. There are no really goo ways of finding exactly how much memory is actually used and the Task Manager has several different memory headings.

It is also easy to actually hide memory use if some of your applications processes are at Kernel level (I don't know if that is what you meant by low level), these aren't reported by the task manager as a part of the application but in the total for the system.

AVG used to do that and many people thought that it wasn't using much memory, but all it was, was you couldn't seem much of the memory it used. Running some functions at Kernel level aside from masking RAM use, can also have adverse issues, as if that kernel based function crashes it takes down the OS as opposed to if it weren't running in the Kernel it would just crash the application.

RAM really is a minor issue these days and the performance CPU issues are more likely interfere with normal computer use.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

fblais

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:29:28 PM »
whats ur thoughts
Depends which NOD32 version you're talking about.
I tried the 3.x and 4.x releases of NOD32 and I'm back with 2.7, which is fortunately still supported.
It's the best and lightest NOD32 version, IMHO.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 12:54:03 AM »
the eset use less memory than avast, in part because it is programmed using low level programing language.

NOD32 is not light at all. Even if memory usage is low in general, it has massive CPU spikes when scanning certain executables and also causes major lags when scanning downloaded files. We have NOD32 at work and it's very annoying when you download stuff and everything basically freezes when its scanning downloaded file.

Oncdoc, seems non conclusive experiences.
The best things in life are free.