Author Topic: Gzip Archive is corrupted  (Read 5694 times)

pegg

Gzip Archive is corrupted
« on: May 16, 2004, 01:47:41 AM »
I'm new here and just put AVAST 4.1 home on my Dell Comp. last week.  Ran a looong scan (1 hr) today [AVAST scan of C:\D ,Task 'Simple user interface' used.   * Started on Saturday, May 15, 2004   * VPS: 0420-4, 05/14/2004]
The log had over 600 lines – almost all had Unable to scan – Archive is password protected (42056) as the error

example: C:\DELL\drivers\R70567\agentins.ui\agent_lang_helper.vbs

I searched for this 42056 error on this forum and found similar posts but not what people did about it.  www.avast.com seems to say it's no big deal.  OKAY.

MAIN REASON for coming here:  The other chunk of my log had this error:
UNABLE TO SCAN:GZIP ARCHIVE IS CORRUPTED

C:\Documents and Settings\Stephanie\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4BSPEZOF\CA9CCN9H\CA9CCN9H
 4BSPEZOF\CAAJKPYV\CAAJKPYV
 4BSPEZOF\CAQFCX0T\CAQFCX0T
O9YJK1IJ\CAD4G71D\CAD4G71D
O9YJK1IJ\CAER0TKP\CAER0TKP
OT2JQP0H\CA856NG5\CA856NG5

I tried to go to “action” and either “scan” or “delete” certain ones and usually there would be an error message like, “The system cannot find the path specified” or “This action is not supported on this system” or almost always it would say “Error occurred during file deleting”.

Is this serious?  what should I do?

Thanks for being kind and helpful to a newbie

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Gzip Archive is corrupted
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 04:52:57 AM »
The log had over 600 lines – almost all had Unable to scan – Archive is password protected (42056) as the error ... I searched for this 42056 error on this forum and found similar posts but not what people did about it.  www.avast.com seems to say it's no big deal.  OKAY.

Password protected files are not for worry. The majority of the files are protected by some program (for example, Spybot) to keep your system save and for the antivirus do not show them as positives. No worry: virus can only be active when extracting it from an infected file. That were not infected ones  8)

UNABLE TO SCAN:GZIP ARCHIVE IS CORRUPTED ... I tried to go to “action” and either “scan” or “delete” certain ones and usually there would be an error message like, “The system cannot find the path specified” or “This action is not supported on this system” or almost always it would say “Error occurred during file deleting”.
Is this serious?  what should I do?

I think not. Can you delete all your temporary internet files? (generally Tools > Options > some option for deletion...)? Do you have any program that automatically delete that files (for instance, BeClean, Internet Sweeper...)?
The best things in life are free.

pegg

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 08:22:05 PM »
Actually, I believe I had deleted all my temporary internet files (and offline content) and cookies right before the scan (but maybe my daughter -- she's the "Stephanie" -- went online after that).

I'll delete those again and do a scan.  It was the "corrupted" part that worried me.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 08:34:40 PM »
It was the "corrupted" part that worried me.

Can you send that files to analysis? (virus@avast.com) Thanks.

pegg

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 11:53:59 PM »
I will - but what do you mean?  (I've never been to this forum before)

Do you mean just the log?  Do you mean find the  C:\Documents and Settings\Stephanie\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4BSPEZOF\CA9CCN9H\CA9CCN9H and the bunch of other ones all in content.IE5 and send them?

If so, how do I send them?  Just attach them in an e-mail?

Thanks for your patient reply

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 04:43:44 AM »
I will - but what do you mean?
Do you mean just the log?  Do you mean find the  C:\Documents and Settings\Stephanie\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4BSPEZOF\CA9CCN9H\CA9CCN9H and the bunch of other ones all in content.IE5 and send them?
If so, how do I send them?  Just attach them in an e-mail?

I think you won't find that file again... But if you can, go directly to it, zip it with a password (for instance, virus) and send it to virus@avast.com.
Please, don't forget to mention the trouble in the body of the message and inform the password.

(I've never been to this forum before)
Thanks for your patient reply

Wellcome to the best Internet forum...