Author Topic: Dell E773 Monitor Help Needed  (Read 5719 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Dell E773 Monitor Help Needed
« on: May 20, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »
I was given a Dell E773 Monitor.  I am all excited because I no longer have to wrestle with my old Monitor to get the video to sync up at every Power Up.

However, the Brightness on this Dell Monitor appears to definitely be set Too High.  Possibly also the Contrast.

The Monitor has 4 Buttons on the Front Panel.
I pressed the Menu Button.  I don't seem to see any Brightness and Contrast Settings in there.  However the <b>Minus</b> and <b>Plus</b> Buttons there in the middle seem to have symbols next to them indicating that they possibly adjust Brightness & Contrast.  Does anyone know if that's correct?  If that IS so, then how does one alternate between Increasing & Decreasing the Brightness & Contrast if each one of those Buttons, the Minus & Plus Buttons is for a different function?  Do you just keep pressing the Buttons and eventually cycle back to the beginning?  Or how do they work?

Also, there in the Menu, there was a <b>RESET</b> Setting with 2 Sub Settings:
Reset Current Mode
Reset ALL Modes

Would selecting "Reset ALL Modes" reset the Brightness & Contrast back to Factory Default Settings?  That's what I ideally want to do.  I've been designing some Blog Themes and thus want the Monitor ideally set at Factory Defaults if possible so that I can know what the Blog Themes will look like on other normal working Monitors.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Dell E773 Monitor Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 11:40:47 PM »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Go Pack Go

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 04:31:56 AM »
I think I have this monitor, if I remember right, you just press either the '-' or '+' to control the contrast and brightness.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 04:52:53 AM »
Thanks a lot for that link, David!
It was very helpful.  It did explain how to use the Front Panel Buttons.
Unfortunately neither performing an all out Reset of ALL the Settings to Factory Defaults nor manually decreasing the Brightness & Contrast fixed the problem, the bright sorta washed out look.

Is it possible that the Monitor is operating with the WRONG Driver?
When I first powered it up, this process started ... searching for a Driver for the Monitor.  It prompted me for where I wanted the search to be conducted.  I was like, "Uh Oh!  Here we go.  This isn't good."  I selected CD ROM as I stuck in my Gateway CD that has the Drivers.  When I clicked on OK, really no search-like activity ensued.  It was more like immediately the process CLAIMED the best Driver for that Monitor had been installed.  Is it possible that with my computer being from way back in 2001, my Windows 98SE didn't have an ideal Driver for this Dell E773 Monitor?

I found this:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R64674&SystemID=LATITUDE%20D620&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=5279&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=&impid=&formatcnt=1&libid=22&fileid=84349

Supposedly it's the Driver for this Monitor for Windows.  Does it NOT matter WHICH Windows one has?  I would have thought the different versions of Windows would use different Drivers.  WOULD this Driver work with my Windows 98SE for this Dell E773?

Another inquiry: Ideally, which Display Setting should be used with this Monitor?  Right now what's selected is -- High Color 16-Bit.  If I tried 256 Color or True Color 24-Bit, would anything get FUBARed?
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2009, 07:28:09 AM »
Anything on Windows 98SE usually gets FUBARed.

Well I do have 2 80GB hard drives I removed from a system that was about to be junked with it and one is in a USB External case for backups and the other is in my XP Pro system because it fit.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2009, 04:57:42 PM »
Well since the Monitor is younger than your OS then you are going to get issues like this, e.g. it not having a specific driver for it, so you will be getting some sort of compromise generic driver.

You could try downloading the driver and installing it, drivers tend to support OS versions, but some that come out may be backwards compatible or the driver is a huge size incorporating multiple OSes. So I'm a little surprised to find that this one is 118KB, I would have thought it would have been in the order of 10-20MB not KB.

Though it says it is compatible with win98, see image, however these mention HP systems and not specifically monitors, so I'm not entirely sure what it is.

I would stick with the mid range of colour as 24bit true colour would probably be to much for your graphics card/chip and 256 colour is absolutely disgusting.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 06:17:25 PM »
It looks like in that Compatibility image they're displaying just Dell computers.

Anyway, a while ago, I went through the motions of installing that Driver that I found.
Nnnnggg, while the process theoretically indicated that it was installed, I'm NOT confident that it was installed. 

Shouldn't the Driver now show up in the Control Panel Add / Remove Programs area?
I don't see it in there.
If it's NOT supposed to show up there, is there any way that I can verify whether the Driver IS installed.

Nothing changed with this theoretical Driver installation.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
They are displaying the image that is me copying a section of the information on the link you gave. You can click on the plus signs and it expands the info.

If the size 118KB is correct then I wouldn't expect it to take long, but you would need to reboot before any driver became available. Drivers aren't like programs and don't (generally) show uo in add remove programs.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2009, 05:14:31 AM »
Drivers aren't like programs and don't (generally) show uo in add remove programs.

Thanks for that Info.
I still haven't solved that Monitor issue.
But, on the plus side, I did have HUGE success in speeding up the HP Pavilion computer I was also given.  As soon as I uninstalled AVG via a normal uninstall ... BAMM!  The computer took off!  I had expected it would speed up SOME, but I really wasn't expecting that the difference would be night & day. 

I was originally planning on just getting it going and having it around as a Backup for an absolute emergency.  But, after I removed AVG, it is now conceivably a smidgen faster than my Gateway.  So, I already transferred all my stuff to the HP Pavilion, performed Disk Cleanup and Defrag.  On Friday I'll run manual Scans of avast and SAS.  Now the HP Pavilion will very likely be my MAIN computer instead of the Backup.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2009, 03:20:14 PM »
You're welcome.