Author Topic: Worst company / program ever  (Read 3074 times)

avastsucks

Worst company / program ever
« on: May 22, 2009, 03:05:34 AM »
First, your program screws up my Windows Mail client so I can no longer just open attachments.  I now have to save them, then upload them.

Then, to get support for this, I try to create a support account.  After activation, I login, and now support.avast.com just gives me a blank page.

Then, and here's the kicker, you send me my account AND PASSWORD in PLAIN TEXT in an email.

Now, you're supposed to be a "security" company, protecting my computer from viruses and spyware, and you are using the absolute worst security practices ever, transmitting my information in plain text around the internet.

What a joke!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Worst company / program ever
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 04:22:46 AM »
Can you please advise what mail client you use, your operating system, what AV was installed (if any) before installing Avast, and other pertinent information such as your OS, computer RAM/CPU, any other security programs installed, and what version of Avast you have installed.

Welcome to the forum.
This area is visited regularly by developers, but other forum users (such as myself) are just users who like the program - with good reason although you might not see it just now - and are here just to help and learn.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 04:59:53 AM »
"Worst company / program ever"

Pretty obvious "bait" if you're looking for an argument.

However, if you're serious, please provide details. ("PLAIN TEXT" is acceptable here.)

If you purchased online from "share-it"/Digital River and wish to suggest an alternative registration confirmation method, some contact details are at the bottom of the email.
There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:12:52 PM »
Well... nod discussing the other arguments, but, maybe, the users trying to get help from support.avast.com are right when they say they can't login, get help, etc. There are a lot of complains... What's up?
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 02:46:55 PM »
As for the user/pass, i'm registered at around 30 forums and pretty much all of them sent login details in a plain text format where user and pass is visible. I see nothing strange in that.

I also don't see any real reason why avast! would cause Windows Mail failing to open attachements directly. Have you tried disabling Internet Mail provider and see if the problem persist or not.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 03:10:22 PM »
First, your program screws up my Windows Mail client so I can no longer just open attachments.  I now have to save them, then upload them.

-= This is not caused by Avast .. This is caused by an Internet Explorer 8 feature wherein IE8 has an attachment filter & does not allow users to open untrusted attachments..

Reference: Windows
Reference: PC Hell

Then, to get support for this, I try to create a support account.  After activation, I login, and now support.avast.com just gives me a blank page.

-= Take note that refresh button exists in almost all internet browsers..

Then, and here's the kicker, you send me my account AND PASSWORD in PLAIN TEXT in an email.

-= That is why people have unique e-mail address.. No any legitimate website will send any private data unless you are the one who actually instruct them to do so.. They asked you for an e-mail address & you input your e-mail address, therefore, they'll send it to the e-mail address you entered..

Now, you're supposed to be a "security" company, protecting my computer from viruses and spyware, and you are using the absolute worst security practices ever, transmitting my information in plain text around the internet.

-= Well, I believe we cannot please everyone..
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:19:16 PM by chronoboi001 »
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1