Author Topic: Please help or advise on how to get my laptop back in working order.  (Read 2469 times)

nanaka777us

Hello everyone,

First please allow me to state that I do use Avast on both of my computers, my destop and my laptop.  Second I will admit that the problem which is occuring on my laptop is not Avast's fault because it simply did as I, in my ignorance and stupidity, told it too. 

Now to the problem:  I ran the virus scan with Avast on my laptop, a Gateway with Windows XP Media Center Edition on it.  To my shock and alarm it found quite a few infected files, including quite a few System32 and other system files.  Previously I had told Avast to put all infected files into the (virus) chest, which it proceeded to do.  I then, without thinking, performed a boot-time scan and put even more system files into the chest.  Now my laptop boots up to the log on screen for Windows and when the enter button is pressed (I did not put in a password because the laptop /never/ leaves my home and is only connected wirelessly when I was on it), the laptop logs in, saves user settings, and promptly logs out again without even changing the background screen.

Any advice as to how I would be able to repair the damage I inadvertantly caused without losing the data stored on the machine would be much appreciated, but if the best solution is to simply take it to a dealership and have the entire system wiped and reinstalled, so be it.

Thanks,
Rich W.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Looks like an infected userinit.exe:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555648

Or userinit.exe replaced by Wsaupdater.exe:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893

Do you have a Windows CD? Restore CD? Restore partition?

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

nanaka777us

Unfortunately I do not remember where I placed the ones for my laptop.  I think I know where the ones for my desktop are though.   The only Windows CD I found is: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Editon 2005 with Update Rollup 2.  But it is for my Dell desktop.  Would it work or do I need to find the Gateway ones for the laptop?

Thanks,
Rich

Edit: I think the laptop's hard drive was setup in a C: drive for the regular usage and a D: drive partition for restore, but I'm not 100% sure.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Can you access the recovery partition?

Maybe:

F10
F11
CTRL+F10
CTRL+F11

What options do you have?
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
But it is for my Dell desktop.  Would it work or do I need to find the Gateway ones for the laptop?
If it it a Windows installation CD it could work, although you have to use the Gateway Windows key (maybe in its back there is this number).
If it is a recovery CD, I think it won't work in another computer.
The best things in life are free.