Poll

What Operating System is the one you like the most?

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 2K
Windows 7
Linux
Mac OS X
Other (Post which one)

Author Topic: What OS do you like the most & what OS do you use?  (Read 35686 times)

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
Re: What OS do you like the most & what OS do you use?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »
Of course, for a light and not extremely buggy alternative, there's always Windows RG  ;)

LOL LOL LOL!!! Thanks!! I LOVE IT!

I use Windows Vista, I like windows Vista
because it has a very nice interface, it works fast enough in my computer and it do everything I want it do for me, almost addicted to vista :D
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 02:05:23 PM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

wpn

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 05:04:31 PM »
i use Vista at work and home but i prefer Win7 (which i have on my test computer at home)
(therefor i would like to see support for Win7 soon in the new Avast versions)

I use XP Home and XP Pro.  :)   I set my work PC for best performance -

right-click My Computer > Properties select Advanced tab >
Performance select Settings > Performance Options select radio button - Adjust for best performance

Vista 32bit on the way since the OS now seem to become the most favored option with users.

I suggest u wait with the Vista installation until Win7 is out since this is a huge improvement over Vista and ofcourse its the newest OS so u can use it for a couple more years again...

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 05:09:23 PM »
Vista x64 SP2 is just fine. They've polished basically all glitches i could encounter. Wouldn't go back to XP.
But i still run WinXP on netbook which is also ok.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

onlysomeone

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2009, 05:47:41 PM »
I really liked Vista, but I love Seven! :D
I use both 32bit and 64bit which work perfectly and smooth!
Also had just good experiences with Vista, but with Seven its even better!

I'm happy that I installed the Betas and RC of Microsofts new OS. :)

yours
onlysomeone

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2009, 06:28:10 PM »
Linux only. Currently a dual boot with Debian, and Linux Mint 7. I had Vista for a short period of time, when I bought this new computer, but alas, I accidentally erased it when I was partitioning for a dual boot. Silly me.

That was my experience when dabbling with Ubuntu and XP a while back so I prefer to think Silly Ubuntu  than me.

Nope, in my case, it was all my fault.

When you have the option of using the free space you cut out of Vista for the new install, or the entire hard drive for your installation, and you choose the later out of habit, and not thinking, you deserve what you get, which is to wipe Vista off of the machine.

I did have some time this morning to reload, so now I'm back to dual booting Debian and Vista. This is my home computer. The office computer is pure Ubuntu (currently Jaunty).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 06:33:16 PM by OrangeCrate »

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 07:29:02 PM »
I really liked Vista, but I love Seven! :D
I use both 32bit and 64bit which work perfectly and smooth!
Also had just good experiences with Vista, but with Seven its even better!

I'm happy that I installed the Betas and RC of Microsofts new OS. :)

My Vista system is barely 3 months old and I am reluctant to update it to Windows 7 as I still have so much to learn on Vista but I hope there will be an update to Seven when it becomes available in 2010.

I wish I could sell the old XP Home system but nobody wants XP anymore around here.

Offline George Yves

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Help you I can
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 07:50:13 PM »
As for me, I'm too old to change my preferences. I started with MS-DOS 6.22, continued through Win3.x - Win95 - Win98 - Win98SE - WinMe - WinXPSP2, and now I'm on WinVista.

Do I like Windows? I don't know. I have never tried a Linux (I'm not good at their jargon) or a Mac (it's a piece of exotica here).
May the FOSS be with you!

Offline Omid Farhang

• Frontend Developer
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • I wish I could write longer personal text!!
    • Homepage
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 08:29:33 PM »
I AM
A PC!

I've tried ubuntu, it's a good start for a user friendly linux, but I don't think if it can ever be good like Windows, I've used 2000, xp, me, 98, seven and I really like Windows and as what I said in my last post I use and like vista, ubuntu is just a good product to use in some moments for example get back from a computer hard drive that cannot boot or access internet when windows is not installed or removing locked files :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 08:32:42 PM by Omid Farhang »
Twitter: OmidFarhangEn - OS: Manjaro KDE

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 11:45:12 PM »
but nobody wants XP anymore around here.

What YoKenny says. I find this more and more to be the case.

There used to aversion to Vista but not any more. Vista - slow, much more services, Registry 3 times size of XP (correct me if I'm wrong) - so hard to run mean and lean like you can with XP. But I have to go Vista as well, soon as is convenient.

Does Ubuntu disk still have great memory tester at launch page? I would get the disk out now and then and run all the memory modules around the place through the check.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2009, 12:09:16 AM »
but nobody wants XP anymore around here.

What YoKenny says. I find this more and more to be the case.

There used to aversion to Vista but not any more. Vista - slow, much more services, Registry 3 times size of XP (correct me if I'm wrong) - so hard to run mean and lean like you can with XP. But I have to go Vista as well, soon as is convenient.

Does Ubuntu disk still have great memory tester at launch page? I would get the disk out now and then and run all the memory modules around the place through the check.

Yes, all Ubuntu Live CDs have Memtest.

If you decide to check your memory, do at least 10 complete cycles, to put a good stress on the RAM.

(When I check memory on a computer I'm cleaning up and donating, I let it run overnight.)

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2009, 01:53:10 AM »
Appreciated OrangeCrate. I will comprehensive run through memtest from now on.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

YoKenny

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2009, 04:25:36 PM »
Army migrating computers to Vista
May 20, 2009

By Gary Sheftick and Delawese Fulton

WASHINGTON (Army News Service, May 20, 2009) -- The Army is migrating all of its Windows-based computers to Microsoft's Vista operating system to bolster Internet security and standardize its information systems.

The systems change, which includes swapping Office 2003 for Office 2007, is set to be completed by Dec. 31. 
http://www.army.mil/-news/2009/05/20/21389-army-migrating-computers-to-vista

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 07:34:02 AM »
MS Office 2007 is a pig. I threw greedy pig out when tested my patience too far. No disrespect to you YoKenny.

At the time I advised downgrade 2007 to 2003 until MS truly managed to patch up missing logic.

Why put program on market with totally separate file formats as default (docx, pptx, etc...) Then techs have to run round the place reconfigure so everyday people can use without difficulty. Why not set as default compatibility logix - portability, interoperability - amongst Office suite first before release of 2007? Surely common sense. I can understand proprietry strategy to close out competitors, but your own people? And does MS need $$ that bad. Why not give your people a break now and then Microsoft?

Lets hope thats what they will be doing with Windows 7. And cost of MS Office suite is outrageous. They should bring the price down.

Offline OrangeCrate

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 10:05:21 AM »
^,

Unless there's some exotic reason a person has to use MS Office, a good alternative is to download OpenOffice.org, and then change the default formats to MS Office ones under the Load/Save options in the Options Menu.

I've used OOo for years, for documents (including .pdf  on the fly), spreadsheets, and presentations with clients who all universally use MS Office, and they've never known it.

The best part is that OOo is part of the open source community, and it free (as in beer). More info here, if anyone is interested...

http://www.openoffice.org/

YoKenny

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 10:46:43 AM »
@mkis
I have no need for MS Office 2007 nor 2003 nor OpenOffice.

If you can't afford MS Office then you don't need it.

When I worked there was a big push to standarize document formats between platforms and have easy transport between them.

See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Document_Architecture

The nice thing about Standards is that there are so many to choose from.