Poll

What Operating System is the one you like the most?

Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 2K
Windows 7
Linux
Mac OS X
Other (Post which one)

Author Topic: What OS do you like the most & what OS do you use?  (Read 35687 times)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: What OS do you like the most & what OS do you use?
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 04:21:32 AM »
Nobody likes Windows 2K... Why is that?
I don't mind it, but it reminds me of work too much. If I'd had it as a home user, I'd probably find it superb. XP without the glitz.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 05:13:15 AM »
Windows 2K is a great network system but there were compatibility issues, particularly with third party devices and drivers. MS put out a Hardware Compatibility List (HCL) which users were expected to comply with. Very proprietary MS and, like Tarq57 says, angled towards people at work. There is no Media Player like there was with Windows Me, which was released about the same time, and truly exposed MS bonehead attitude to graphics (compared to Linux apps - open source - and Mac of the same vintage).

2K was MS other project developing out of OS2, a network line of OS, that remained underway at the same time as they were trying to take over the world with Win95. You could not upgrade across the lines, say from Win98SE (I think a very underrated system) to Win2K, nor could you set up dual boot between 98SE(FAT32) and 2K(NTFS) (I don't think so but I could be wrong). Most people had grown used to the user friendly interface of 3.1/95/98 line and may have been peeved at MS being so institutionally-oriented in pushing people into MS Network environment. On top of that WinME got a rep as being an out and out pig (which was unfair) and much of the ground gained with Win95 began to wilter away as MS came to be widely seen as bent on world domination, copying Mac, elbowing Netscape out of the way, and trying to take over the internet. In many ways, 2K was their Waterloo. They backed down and put out XP, which was initially able to format across the two lines (FAT32 and NTFS) and in many ways became proved one of their best efforts, further denigrating 2K and truly discarding it to Darwin's dustbin. But as Tarq57 says 2K was a very strong little system. There is much to like about it. A much more secure system than the FAT line of OS, which were starting to become infiltrated by all and sundry as people took their fury out on MS for being so arrogant and overbearing. MS are still struggling to temper the antagonism directed at them over that period, and 2K has unfairly shouldered much of the blame.

Edit - I think you can still load XP onto FAT32. I haven't tried, and I've only seen it done on the very early versions of XP (2002/3). But the option to do so has remained.  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:53:15 AM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 09:03:43 AM »
Ummmmm.....................
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Jordo009

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 01:26:45 AM »
I like Windows XP the best. Sadly, all of our computers that were XP have crashed within the past year and ALL data was lost.

So we now have *Shutter* Vista on all of our computers.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2009, 01:36:17 AM »
With a back-up and recovery strategy, no data should be lost. Unfortunately for most, they don't get the benefit of this until after such a disaster.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Jordo009

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2009, 01:38:05 AM »
With a back-up and recovery strategy, no data should be lost. Unfortunately for most, they don't get the benefit of this until after such a disaster.
Exactly the problem.

And we know why they crashed.

My Dad's: Take a guess.... Yea....
My Bro's: A trojan was found and corrupted his important files. We couldn't find the XP disk. :(

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2009, 12:23:14 AM »
Still no Windows 2K...........
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Omega40

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2009, 01:38:19 PM »
What operating system you like the most? [Poll]
What operating system do you use? [Post]
---------------------------------------------------
Just wondering... ::)

Hello! I use WindowsXP