Author Topic: Avast Pro didn't catch Malware Catcher 2009  (Read 6063 times)

Alemaker

Avast Pro didn't catch Malware Catcher 2009
« on: May 22, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »
 :(  Subject line says it all. My sister's pc got infected with Malware Catcher 2009, and she said she did nothing like dload anything suspicious. Has Avast Pro. What seems to be the problem is it looks like it was a driveby download and Avast totally missed it.Any help? :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Pro didn't catch Malware Catcher 2009
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 10:06:19 PM »
Hmmm... lack of detection is not good...

Use MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even Spyware Terminator) to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.

Maybe you could send the infected file to virus@avast.com for analysis.
Hope they increase detection soon.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 10:09:29 PM »
Sounds like a rogue, fake security application, this pop-up fake security alerts trying to get you to buy it or visit a site or do a scan or multiples of all of them, don't do it. Whilst this isn't actually malicious it is social engineering tools play on your fears.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest (if it isn't already there) where it can do no harm and send it from there. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so you will need to take further action and can remove/rename that.

Send it from the User Files section of the chest (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). It will be uploaded (not actually emailed) to avast when the next avast auto (or manual) update is done.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it and report the findings (it should product a log file).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LarryQW

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 07:21:35 AM »
I had the same problem. Malware Catcher was not blocked. I'm trying to remove it.

When will Avast! be updated to detect and remove this malware?

dansorin

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 10:20:15 AM »
avast is really bad at updating the database. this is not the first time that I see that a specific virus-signature was not updated, even after 1 month.

mevcit

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »
avast is really bad at updating the database. this is not the first time that I see that a specific virus-signature was not updated, even after 1 month.
Yes, i sent them a malicious file by both quarantine and email. It's obviously malicious, i ran the file within Sandboxie and it tried to download many malicious things and avast! blocked some of the malicious URLs to which the program tried to connect. But avast! team hasn't added it to the database for a very long time. Avira, McAfee and a few other vendors detect it, Malwarebytes also detects it. ;D anyway...

But i must say that many AVs don't detect rogue applications (the one i mentioned isn't in this category).

Mr.Agent

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »

Sorry but Avast! update every day. Check your system time. Also Avast! 4.8 Pro Push Update i think its update every 15-30 mins like some guy did said.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 04:21:28 PM »

Sorry but Avast! update every day. Check your system time. Also Avast! 4.8 Pro Push Update i think its update every 15-30 mins like some guy did said.

They are talking about undetected malware submissions sent to avast not being added to the VPS and consequently the VPS Updates and not the actual update frequency.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

LarryQW

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:52:26 PM »
It took me four frustrating hours to remove this 'virus/trojan/malware/whatever'. It wouldn't let me open task manager to stop processes, it messed with my browser to keep me from fixing it, and it kept demanding a pirate ransom of $30+ to have it removed.

If found several programs on the web saying they could remove it, and spent hour or so wasting my time scanning,  but at the end they also wanted their ransom of $30 or more to do the removal. I think it's a consipracy.

I finally found that MBAM (MalwareBytes) would remove it without a need for a purchase, at least for now. Problem cleaned. I'd have done MBAM, first, but was looking for a cleaner specific to this malware that would go faster.

I just realised also that Malware Catcher 2009 must have also disabled Avast! antivirus as well, as I'd been getting a warning from Windows during this time that an Antivirus program wasn't installed and I was unprotected. The warning went away after the uninstall.

My only issue now is that I though I already bought an Antivirus program.  >:(  And this problem was reported clearly over two months ago and particularly nasty, yet not in the data base. So now I know why Avast! isn't top rated.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:11:12 PM by LarryQW »

Mr.Agent

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:35:18 PM »
Well for sure no 1 anti virus can remove all malwares on the internet. And you did a good move by installing Malwarebytes its really a great Anti-Malware with Avast!. So next time try using Avast! and MBAM with a 2 Ways Firewall. They will both work together and no conflict.