Other > General Topics
Microsoft stealthily installs a Firefox add-on that cannot easily be uninstalled
<< < (3/9) > >>
polonus:
Hi Avastfan1,

Here is the uninstall information:
http://blogs.msdn.com/brada/archive/2009/02/27/uninstalling-the-clickonce-support-for-firefox.aspx

polonus
spg SCOTT:
I'm using firefox portable, would this be a problem for me?
The uninstall instructions refer to the registry but my version is not local

-Scott-
polonus:
Hi Scott,

In spite of your Fx being portable, these install settings are on your main drive, even when you for instance have the portable running from a pen drive,

polonus

spg SCOTT:

--- Quote from: polonus on May 25, 2009, 10:37:19 PM ---Hi Scott,

In spite of your Fx being portable, these install settings are on your main drive, even when you for instance have the portable running from a pen drive,

polonus

--- End quote ---
Thanks for confirming Polonus,

Had a look in the registry, turns out it's not there so it doesn't really matter

Odd though that there is stuff in the registry, FF Portable is advertised as not leaving anything on the host machine, but I suppose that only covers the program itself, not the addons

Still though very wrong on Microsoft's account, as DavidR said, had the tables been turned - there would have been uproar

AvastFan1,
Like the wordplay ;D

-Scott-
polonus:
Hi Scott,

That is true, always need an additional crap cleaner to cleanse all trails of it, like ATF Cleaner or ClearProg. I use these tools to cleanse crap just before I shut down after every Windows session.
The man responsible for this Firefox add-on: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2008/05/12/visual-studio-2008-and-net-framework-3-5-service-pack-1-beta.aspx
Every time the MS propriety application is being updated, you would get it for free in Fx. I have put a posting in the NoScript forum, because it also has scripting implications as well. I am rather curious about Giorgio Maone's reply to this silent MS-add-on install into Fx and at what level they made the decision in Fx development to go along with this install performed over the heads of the common users of the browser.
It is a sign of the times that the end user now has to look out for himself referring here. Policies that are getting more and more "out of balance" as you grasp what I mean to say here,

polonus
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version