Author Topic: Scanning and how to repair  (Read 14762 times)

sham1313

Scanning and how to repair
« on: May 26, 2009, 08:30:06 PM »

I took a long time doing this right I hope that I told you what you need in order to help me. I am sorry this is long I just did not know how to make it any shorter. Thanks I AM REALLY HOPEING I DID THIS RIGHT. I am not doing capt to yell it out. I am just wanting to let you know I really tried hard to do this guestion right. just the windows media player. I wrote all this so maybe some one will let me know what I should try to do next after just getting the media player to work         
right now only the media player :)
I hope I can simple explane and be able fix, repair or do what ever needs to be done to the computer to have it running and performing like it should. did allready have registry genius that scan and tell you how many problems the computer has, but I was having trouble with the windows media player again and was looking for a good free download to to save on the computer. then I was going to unstall the one on the computer and install a fresh one. I was having trouble fining what I thought I needed last night. I was just going to unstall it and fine a better one to install this morning, but it was not in the control panel to unstall. I guess sense it came installed in the computer when my husband bought it that it did not need to be there. or am I wrong?
             I did some more google searching for the windows media player and found a few sites that said fixed windows media player and I should no by now when some thing like this is free it will do the scan and tell you what is suppose to be wrong in your computer that it will only fix a few or done of your problems.then tell you that you well have to bye the full version to fix all these problems.  I have in years past bought some thing like that I thing you Will call them programs. some one please correct me if I am wrong.  any way after I paid for it and did the scan there were a lot at that time on a new Compaq desktop top computer even after I click fix all that it would not repair.
           any how I did download  this reg tool and scan. this is what it found. 681 registry problem. repair registry errors to safely.  327 junk files    remove junk data to free disk space and run smoothly.      7705 privacy concerns been found
remove evidence tiles that could compromise your personal information.  132 bad active X items block harmful before they can compromise PC security. the reason I tried this I will say one more time is because it said it would fixed windows media player. My 1st guestion here in this forum was about windows media player and the question  I had trouble with because of doing more then one question at a time. when the question got loss and were talking about to many defernece things it did work but was a slow starter.
           4 performace by adjusting key features. there are no check marks on  your copy of windows is up to date.  all available microsoft updates have been installed.   all adobe product are up to date and have been in stalled.  I then click repare all on 8849 problems there were 8556 to begin with and said I had to bye to fix the 8849 there were the once that were fixed are front 0 startup 0 system services 7 file association 286    388 problems in the registry    327 junk files found    132 bad active items are not blocked. 4 performance features not optimized   no microsoft updates available.
          I am not sure why but now all it will do is open and not play any thing. when it was working it would play CD & DVD. now it will not even play the tunes or video that come with the computer   
           like I said at the beginning I had the free registry so I did a scan with that to like I did the 1st one.  some one on Cnet forum was using and they like it. that is why I tried it. when the scan was threw this is what was found. oh ya I guess sense I no it Registry Genius is 3.2. there were 1606.    activeX, ole/com entries  problems 59     registry keys 663    file extensions 7    help sec.2
  invalid file associations 4      invalid short cut 3    most recently used files3    shared DLL'S sections 607     start up programs 1 system software setting 238 user software settings 19   
       Registry Genius has found 1606 critical problems based on the results it is highly recommended you register the full version to repair all these problems Immediately!
     I had downloaded this one a while back and forgot about it till now. when I was sent the URL for registry genius I told them I had ccleaner and they said I should try the registry genius. Should I unstall the the ccleaner? with one of the 1st 2 should I keep? sense these did not fix the windows media player. is there some think els I can do?  I well say again like I did once already all it will do now is just open but does not play any thing.  no music or DVD and post the windows media player as well as the quickplay will not do any thing. all I want to address in getting the media player working and no witch one of the 3 programs above that I mention are best for this HP windows vista OS. we can answer all these other later just thought I had it all right in my head I should right or or when I would have tried it in parts I do not thing I would have even did as good as I have writing this. like I have said many times all the kind of computer things like I have mention is very hard to be able to get things done right. I thing a 7 year old could do computer work better then me.
Thanks a hole lot I hope I did not scare off any good help :)
Sharon  sham1313
 I am not sure what this is it just pop up with I had to click accept or decline I copy it down if this is  some thing that I need to do some thing about.  can some one just let me know either in a personal mail or is it some thing that can Waite later to figure out.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
Re: Scanning and how to repair
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 12:14:37 AM »
i think that you were stole in a pitching site. You downloaded a rogue program. People stole your money
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

sham1313

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 02:07:52 AM »
I did not buy any thing  this is the one I  download this is freehttp://www.regtool.com/tutorials.php. If I wanted to pay that all the errors they would fix. that was the 1st one. I tried the second one is the one a moderator from Cnet from sent me this URL http://www.registrygenius.com/ a couple of month ago. do you think  the 1st is a rogue?  maybe it  might be. I may have goofed on that one. I did look my self at it and thought it was a worth try. I did not see any thing that would make me think it might be rogue. how ever the 2nd one was from a moderator of Cnet forum that sent it to me around a couple of month ago. please look at those two site and see if you still fill like that.
Thanks Sharon sham1313

PRG

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 02:13:11 AM »
I suggest you go to www.bleepingcomputer.com - there is a lot of information there for the technical and non-technical minded.  You might want to click the start here or click here links that explain how to use the site and how to ask for help.  I can't say why you should take my advice, but I can see you need more help than I can provide.

I would suggest you follow their instructions and post a HijackThis log (also called HJT) to their help forum to find out if you have mistakenly installed a bad program or damaged your registry in a way they can help with.  There are many other forums that help with this, also.  I suggest bleepingcomputer.com because they seemed to be user-friendly for the non-initiated.  However, a more experienced user of these forums may have a better suggestion - it's my first day here.

Unfortunately, a LOT of sites pretend to help you and then install bad or malicious programs - called malware or spyware or adware or trojans or worms or viruses.  I would be surprised if anything you got from cnet.com or download.com itself was bad, but if you followed the advice of someone posting in a forum thread and not on an actual page, then you may have installed bad software, or you may have a different infection.  They should be able to help you tell.

Good luck to you!

sham1313

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 02:24:02 AM »
Thank you for your reply. I do have that site and have been reading it but I have trouble  because reading done not come easy to me when it is on some thing that has to do with computer. I need simple terms then I can understand. I well read more there and see if I can fine another friend to help me. like I said Thanks for trying. Sharon sham1313 :)

sham1313

Re: Scanning and how to repair Please at least read
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 05:16:42 AM »
I have unstall the reg tool I have used the avast scanner and I well do one or both or all 3 of these. 1.Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, 2.SpywareBlaster, 3 SuperAntiSpyware. I know these are not rogue. I will post a HJ here and there when I threw seeing if avast,or one of the above fine anything. this makes about the 4th rogue I have downloaded in the past year. a few month back Cnet forum help me get the computer clean and this is the second one here.. the hj I will post 1st think in the morning. or if get chance just before bed. I plan on introducing my self to there group 1st think in the morning. thanks Sharon sham1313

PRG

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 06:26:41 AM »
p.s.  I do know that ccleaner.exe is NOT a bad program.  I don't know the other one you mentioned.  Another problem is bad sites pretending to be good sites by using look-alike names, or even posting the same filename, but it's actually a different software.

Here is a safe site for free software:  http://www.softpedia.com besides cnet's download.com  castlecops.com is also OK.  I try to find software on a site I recognize as safe.

Here is a link to bleepingcomputer's tutorials: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutepage-A-Z-c.title-20.html
You might look through them for subjects that would interest you when you have time (after you have solved your problem) - you could bookmark it for later.  I chose page 2 for you for starters, but there are 7 pages in all (links to other pages at the bottom of that page).

sham1313

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:22:59 AM »
 http://www.bleepingcomputer.com I have this URL and I have red there and a few post up I mention that I had this site and in the morning I plan on introducing my self to the forum. I will still go ahead and post a hj here in the morning like I said in one of the post before. when I introduce myself at bleepingcomputer 1st thing in the morning. I will tell them and see if they want me to post a hj in the prober place there. I am trying to make sure I get certain things done before bed time witch it is just about here. thanks Sharon sham1313

sham1313

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:55:54 AM, on 5/27/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\hpwuSchd2.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
C:\Program Files\TechTracker\VersionTracker Pro\VersionTrackerPro.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.ebay.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=81&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=en_us&c=81&bd=Pavilion&pf=laptop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://my.netzero.net/s/search?r=minisearch
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 64.136.44.66;64.136.52.66;64.136.52.70;searchap.untd.com;127.0.0.1;localhost;*microsoft.com;*windowsupdate.com;*wustat.windows.com;*.pogo.com;*test-speed.com;liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com;*symantec.com;*.nai.com;*.networkassociates.com;*.dir.untd.com;cf.netzero.net;qs.netzero.net;*.aolcdn.com;*.quicken.com;<local>;*.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.1.1309.3572\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_A8904FB862BD9564.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: HP Smart BHO Class - {FFFFFFFF-CF4E-4F2B-BDC2-0E72E116A856} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QPService] "C:\Program Files\HP\QuickPlay\QPService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Health Check Scheduler] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\HPHC_Scheduler.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: VersionTrackerPro.lnk = ?
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - {58ECB495-38F0-49cb-A538-10282ABF65E7} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: HP Smart Select - {DDE87865-83C5-48c4-8357-2F5B1AA84522} - C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\Smart Web Printing\hpswp_BHO.dll
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.mybluelight.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.mybluelight.net
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.netzero.com
O15 - Trusted Zone: *.netzero.net
O16 - DPF: {0CCA191D-13A6-4E29-B746-314DEE697D83} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/2008.10.10_v5.5.8/FacebookPhotoUploader5.cab
O18 - Filter: x-sdch - {B1759355-3EEC-4C1E-B0F1-B719FE26E377} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_A8904FB862BD9564.dll
O20 - Winlogon Notify: !SASWinLogon - C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SASWINLO.dll
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate1c9cb4226c992a0) (gupdate1c9cb4226c992a0) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: HP Health Check Service - Hewlett-Packard - c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Health Check\hphc_service.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\qwave.dll,-1 (QWAVE) - Unknown owner - (no file)
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 8228 bytes

sham1313

do you think this was a way to start in BleedingComputer.com forum????

I downloaded it because I thought it would fix my my windows media player that came with my less then a year old HP windows vista. Avast forum alerted me to that fact. they also gave me this site to start with some time ago and I had did some reading here, but computer come hard for me because when I was young I did not finish school and reading does not come easy to me. when they said I had downloaded another rogue I did what I have learn about not just using a virus scanner witch mine is avast now and I am very Happy with it. I also have on my computer Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware and SpywareBlaster. these I know are good tools to use when you have the kind of trouble I do.  these  tools Cnet forum and avast forum have told me about at different times. between last night I have did a virus scan and a Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware. I am not sure how to use SpywareBlaster. I have use the 1st 2 tools I have mention a lot. when I downloaded SpywareBlaster a few month ago it did the updating and scanning on little own. then I was told that I should not have it sent like that. I should just do it manually when I do a scan. I did set it that way for me to start the scan when I want it. I do not see a place to click to start it my self. I guess I need to at least ask that question where to click to start the scan.. so could you tell me please? also I need to know if I should post a hj log here. if I should I also need to know where to post it at? where I am at now like I have said I have used Malwarebytes witch did say the reg tool was a rogue and removed it. also the SuperAntiSpyware after I used that it did no not fine any thing. that was before I deleted in the Malwarebytes. I did the scan again with Malwarebytes and it found 457 reg tool as it did before and told me I need to delete them and restart so I did when I do it was only removing the rogue.  i am not sure if you need any more information.
it did not fine any thing last scan. Should I post a hj for you to look at and if so where exactly do I put it??? Sham1313
http://windows.mediaplayer.pro/?gclid=COXZ3MXe3JoCFR0SagodHm7P3A
 it seem to me I am forgetting some thing if I think of it I will write it next time I reply. I will keep coming back to check here. I am not sure if I have it set to send me an e-mail to let me know when you reply to be or not.

PRG

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 06:57:19 PM »
A few suggestions.  One, it is much easier to understand someone if they "break up" their thoughts.  One good way to do this is to hit the Enter key twice like this

this makes a separate section and makes it easier for the person reading to understand you.  This suggestion recently helped another poster on a different forum, and I hope it might help you.

Something I do when I want to know about a new website and if I should visit it or trust it is to search for it at http://whois.domaintools.com/ and read the registrar's information.  This is most useful when a website might be pretending to be from a company that it is NOT from. 

I checked that site you mentioned.
http://whois.domaintools.com/mediaplayer.pro
It tells me that some individual in Israel owns the site.

Now, while that does not mean that it is automatically a BAD site, nevertheless it is not a Windows owned site, so I would treat it cautiously and try to double-check the information with a source I trusted before following the advice given.

Another thing - just because this is a trustworthy forum does not mean that every individual that may post in it is also trustworthy.  The fact that I have very few posts should not lead you to trust all that I say without "filtering" my words through what you already know - as I see you have done - good for you.  Just be careful who you listen to, and try to cross-check what they tell you.

A good thing about the bleepingcompter.com site, in the HJT forum, is that no one who is not approved is allowed to post there to help people.  Be careful about bleeDingcomputer - that is not the same site.

It is possible that re-installing Windows Media Player, if you have your system disks, might help.  However you may have other problems left over.  I know very little about reading HJT logs, but I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as bad.  You MAY have removed the bad stuff already, but the bad stuff damaged your MediaPlayer installation, so it needs to be reinstalled.  But you could have bad stuff still, and those experts should be able to help you.

I don't think it would be good to remove Windows Media Player completely as it is probably too much integrated with Windows.  However, when/if you do find a player you like better, you can use it instead without having to uninstall Media Player.  I would suggest you only get one from softpedia.com or download.com or castlecops.com or another source that someone you have good reason to trust recommends. 

I suggest you DO NOT make any more changes to your computer until an expert can help you first, though.

If you did NOT get an email letting you know I posted, click the link that says "NOTIFY" at the top or bottom of these posts, and that should set it to let you know if anyone replies again.

I really wish I knew more and could help you more.

sham1313

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2009, 07:05:14 PM »
 I forgot to say thank you for your hit. I have the way you say and will go back to doing that. I thought if I tried paragraph that might work. even tho I am a English speaking I am not very good at English.
thanks again Sharon sham1313

A few suggestions.  One, it is much easier to understand someone if they "break up" their thoughts.  One good way to do this is to hit the Enter key twice like this

this makes a separate section and makes it easier for the person reading to understand you.  This suggestion recently helped another poster on a different forum, and I hope it might help you.

Something I do when I want to know about a new website and if I should visit it or trust it is to search for it at http://whois.domaintools.com/ and read the registrar's information.  This is most useful when a website might be pretending to be from a company that it is NOT from. 

I checked that site you mentioned.
http://whois.domaintools.com/mediaplayer.pro
It tells me that some individual in Israel owns the site.

Now, while that does not mean that it is automatically a BAD site, nevertheless it is not a Windows owned site, so I would treat it cautiously and try to double-check the information with a source I trusted before following the advice given.

Another thing - just because this is a trustworthy forum does not mean that every individual that may post in it is also trustworthy.  The fact that I have very few posts should not lead you to trust all that I say without "filtering" my words through what you already know - as I see you have done - good for you.  Just be careful who you listen to, and try to cross-check what they tell you.

A good thing about the bleepingcompter.com site, in the HJT forum, is that no one who is not approved is allowed to post there to help people.  Be careful about bleeDingcomputer - that is not the same site.

It is possible that re-installing Windows Media Player, if you have your system disks, might help.  However you may have other problems left over.  I know very little about reading HJT logs, but I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as bad.  You MAY have removed the bad stuff already, but the bad stuff damaged your MediaPlayer installation, so it needs to be reinstalled.  But you could have bad stuff still, and those experts should be able to help you.

I don't think it would be good to remove Windows Media Player completely as it is probably too much integrated with Windows.  However, when/if you do find a player you like better, you can use it instead without having to uninstall Media Player.  I would suggest you only get one from softpedia.com or download.com or castlecops.com or another source that someone you have good reason to trust recommends. 

I suggest you DO NOT make any more changes to your computer until an expert can help you first, though.

If you did NOT get an email letting you know I posted, click the link that says "NOTIFY" at the top or bottom of these posts, and that should set it to let you know if anyone replies again.

I really wish I knew more and could help you more.

PRG

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 08:22:02 PM »
Hey, Sharon :D

It's a little hard to understand exactly what your problem is, and exactly what you have done with your computer.  I am going to GUESS what you have done, and post an example explanation which you can copy and correct so that others can understand your problem better.

Now I'm pretending to be you

I have an HP Pavilion laptop with Windows Vista SP1

In March I got some help with a problem from the cNet forums.  Here is the thread:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6132_102-0.html?threadID=333502

I have been having problems with Windows Media Player.  It won't even play movies and music that came with my laptop any more.

I tried to fix it by using a program from regtools(dot)com. 
I also tried using registrygenius.com as suggested by cNet mod.
I have also used SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebyte's AntiMalware.

When I try to open Windows Media Player, it ______________.

I don't know if I might still have some malware on my computer, or if maybe I need to reinstall Media Player.

Can you help me, please?

Here is my HijackThis Log:

sham1313

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 09:09:18 PM »
I seem to always have trouble writing so I can be understood thank you for your help I will try again later when I have more time I will try to do how you have explane it. Thanks Sharon

sham1313

Re: Scanning and how to repair please read I think I have it now
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 04:40:06 PM »
I have an Windows Vista home premium  HP Pavilion laptop with Windows Vista service pack 2. I am still having windows media Player trouble . it opens and does not play anything at all even after I click Play. when I 1st got this computer. windows media player and quick player would play both CD and DVD.

I made another Mistake and downloaded another rogue program called reg tool. The reson I did  was because it said it would fix window media player. it also said said I had close to 2000 error's. and if I wanted to fix all of them I had to buy it.

When I 1st had trouble was after I downloaded shockwave player. I did not even install it. the only other think I did was update windows, and all the adobe programs like adobe reader 9, adobe airinstaller. acrobat.com.

as I am looking at them now so I can see to spell them right I also see AdbRdr910_en_US_Std. I am not sure what it is but the Icon look like a adobe Icon.

I have un-stalled reg tool after some one here said I had downloaded another rogue program. I have used avast scanner. {witch I use every day} I have also used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.31. witch found 458 Rogue reg tool. then I also used SuperAntiSpyware. witch    found nothing.

I also have ccleaner and Registery Genius. I know both of these are not rogue. I proberly should only have one of them. every thing I have told you about either came with the computer or I have downloaded or updated for free.

before I had wrote all I did in the other post. I wrote every thing that the reg tool and one of the other cleaner said were problems or errors. thinking some one could tell other problems that should be fixed and we could take one of them at a time. I just really do not know how to fine out what other problems the computer has. and witch need to be fix in what order.
I would like to fix windows media player and figure out what els needs fixed on the computer.

I hope I have done better this time.

when I 1st got help here I can not remember all we did but it would work. altho it was a slow starter. I did not play any CD or DVD for awhile.

I have 4 home made DVD of my older brother interview about the vietnam war. I have viewed all 4 shortly after the computer 1st got home. nothing at all plays on it now. not even any of what is already on the computer

I was scared to put windows media player in the title thought if I did I would for sure not get any help and feel if i have not this right this time I won't get any either.
 thanks for at least reading I had a newbi explane to me and even tho I am some most to have a lot more experince fell they have more.
thanks again Sharon sham1313

I am now going to check now to see if by some slim chance some one at bleeping computer's