Author Topic: Scanning and how to repair  (Read 14761 times)

PRG

Re: Scanning and how to repair
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2009, 06:37:01 PM »
Sharon - I'm sorry, but I'm not yet allowed to send personal messages, so I will have to answer you publicly.

The message you just posted seems much clearer to me.  Well done. :)

Note that many people have to wait many days for help - that's usual.  If you don't get an answer in a few days, there is another forum you can post a link to your topic in to alert them you are still waiting for help.

Good luck to you, and I hope you get it all sorted out!

sham1313

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2009, 07:21:45 PM »
not a problem I understand Sharon sham1313 :)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2009, 07:39:54 PM »
I hate to say it Sharon, but after following several of your problems for a while, I'm starting to think that the best way to get your system back up and running normally would be to back up what you have, and rebuild.

I'm sure the computer you have came with recovery CD's or a recovery partition, that could assist you greatly in doing a rebuild (restore).

I mean, after so many rogue programs are installed, and uninstalled, and things changed, and so on, it might be easier to just get back to a clean slate and start over.  At least that way everything will be working normally again, and with the knowledge that you have now, you can prevent yourself from installing any programs that you know are bad.

You might not be able to backup everything and completely re-build the computer on your own, but you can certainly pay for someone to do it for you, if you can.

Anyway, you're questions are being written a lot better, and I can understand them more.  Congrats on that!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

sham1313

« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 07:35:19 AM »
thanks that a start. not sure what to. Sharon :)

sham1313

{ I will let you know the out come. thanks Sharon}

Hello and welcome!!
First we don not recommend any

registry cleaners they seem to do

more harm than good. So I am

recommending you uninstall

them.
Spywareblaster WILL

automatically run in the

background,but needs to

updated manually,weekly.

Please post your last MBAM (

Malwarebytes ) log.
The log is automatically saved

and can be viewed by clicking

the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of

that report in your next reply.

Be sure to post the complete log

to include the top portion which

shows MBAM's database version

and your operating system.

We will go from here.

PRG

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »
Great - you found a helper :D  You could post a link to the topic. 

Just, in case you don't know how...

Go to your help topic. 
At the top of your browser in the addressbar is the URL (it starts with http)
Highlight the entire URL
 . . . (sometimes when I just click in the addressbar, the URL starts out all highlighted, so then I just copy it.  If it isn't highlighted, an easy way is to click the cursor at the http part and hit the left arrow until the vertical cursor indicator is all the way to the left.  Then hold down shift and hit the End key.  Now it's all highlighted, and you can...)
Right-click-copy or use Control-C to copy
Come to this topic
Post a new message and right click and choose paste or Control-P to paste
Now that the URL is in a posted message we call it a link

(actually, I can see you know how to copy and paste) :D

sham1313

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 04:39:52 PM »
 I forgot to tell you they gave my husband no disk because they said he did not need one that all he need was what was on the computer. also I got my 1st reply from bleedingcomputer and here is a copy of one line I thought you mighthave a couple of thoughts on.

First we don not recommend any

registry cleaners they seem to do

more harm than good. So I am

recommending you uninstall

them.
 what do you think.
thanks Sharon

I hate to say it Sharon, but after following several of your problems for a while, I'm starting to think that the best way to get your system back up and running normally would be to back up what you have, and rebuild.

I'm sure the computer you have came with recovery CD's or a recovery partition, that could assist you greatly in doing a rebuild (restore).

I mean, after so many rogue programs are installed, and uninstalled, and things changed, and so on, it might be easier to just get back to a clean slate and start over.  At least that way everything will be working normally again, and with the knowledge that you have now, you can prevent yourself from installing any programs that you know are bad.

You might not be able to backup everything and completely re-build the computer on your own, but you can certainly pay for someone to do it for you, if you can.

Anyway, you're questions are being written a lot better, and I can understand them more.  Congrats on that!

sham1313

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 04:50:17 PM »
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic229760.html
 that is another good idea you had thanks a lot
Sharon :) :) :) !!!

sham1313

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 11:04:08 PM »
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229760&st=0&gopid=1281367&#entry1281367

if you wish and want to see what they have wrote me and I have wrote them just go to the there site.
I think I am heading in the right direction now. thanks again all of you. Sharon

PRG

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2009, 07:01:05 AM »
You're very welcome, Sharon!

I think you've got some good help there. :D

sham1313

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2009, 01:02:29 AM »
Well I am waiting for a reply from bleepingcomputer to see what it next I am pertty sure I did all that I was ask to and doing it right. well let ya know.
Sharon

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2009, 02:38:44 AM »
Patience. You know your helper is in NJ? (Don't know what the time zone is. But you're closer.)
And your repeat posts, where you say stuff like "where is this going" is appearing on page two of the thread.

On your post number 12 on page one, you ask about how to find the scanning preferences in SAS

I have no intention of butting in on someone elses' thread on another forum, but the screenshots below may help without interfering.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sham1313

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 05:02:18 AM »

he is a very good helper listen to him 8) Sharon

A few suggestions.  One, it is much easier to understand someone if they "break up" their thoughts.  One good way to do this is to hit the Enter key twice like this

this makes a separate section and makes it easier for the person reading to understand you.  This suggestion recently helped another poster on a different forum, and I hope it might help you.

Something I do when I want to know about a new website and if I should visit it or trust it is to search for it at http://whois.domaintools.com/ and read the registrar's information.  This is most useful when a website might be pretending to be from a company that it is NOT from. 

I checked that site you mentioned.
http://whois.domaintools.com/mediaplayer.pro
It tells me that some individual in Israel owns the site.

Now, while that does not mean that it is automatically a BAD site, nevertheless it is not a Windows owned site, so I would treat it cautiously and try to double-check the information with a source I trusted before following the advice given.

Another thing - just because this is a trustworthy forum does not mean that every individual that may post in it is also trustworthy.  The fact that I have very few posts should not lead you to trust all that I say without "filtering" my words through what you already know - as I see you have done - good for you.  Just be careful who you listen to, and try to cross-check what they tell you.

A good thing about the bleepingcompter.com site, in the HJT forum, is that no one who is not approved is allowed to post there to help people.  Be careful about bleeDingcomputer - that is not the same site.

It is possible that re-installing Windows Media Player, if you have your system disks, might help.  However you may have other problems left over.  I know very little about reading HJT logs, but I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as bad.  You MAY have removed the bad stuff already, but the bad stuff damaged your MediaPlayer installation, so it needs to be reinstalled.  But you could have bad stuff still, and those experts should be able to help you.

I don't think it would be good to remove Windows Media Player completely as it is probably too much integrated with Windows.  However, when/if you do find a player you like better, you can use it instead without having to uninstall Media Player.  I would suggest you only get one from softpedia.com or download.com or castlecops.com or another source that someone you have good reason to trust recommends. 

I suggest you DO NOT make any more changes to your computer until an expert can help you first, though.

If you did NOT get an email letting you know I posted, click the link that says "NOTIFY" at the top or bottom of these posts, and that should set it to let you know if anyone replies again.

I really wish I knew more and could help you more.

sham1313

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 05:09:11 PM »
I always go back and re-post/ I mark the link to read and the one about the player did not come up. I have a few sight of player
to check out just like to get media player working but i need to keep vogas on one thing right now.
Sharon. I  have one more short post to write.

A few suggestions.  One, it is much easier to understand someone if they "break up" their thoughts.  One good way to do this is to hit the Enter key twice like this

this makes a separate section and makes it easier for the person reading to understand you.  This suggestion recently helped another poster on a different forum, and I hope it might help you.

Something I do when I want to know about a new website and if I should visit it or trust it is to search for it at http://whois.domaintools.com/ and read the registrar's information.  This is most useful when a website might be pretending to be from a company that it is NOT from. 

I checked that site you mentioned.
http://whois.domaintools.com/mediaplayer.pro
It tells me that some individual in Israel owns the site.

Now, while that does not mean that it is automatically a BAD site, nevertheless it is not a Windows owned site, so I would treat it cautiously and try to double-check the information with a source I trusted before following the advice given.

Another thing - just because this is a trustworthy forum does not mean that every individual that may post in it is also trustworthy.  The fact that I have very few posts should not lead you to trust all that I say without "filtering" my words through what you already know - as I see you have done - good for you.  Just be careful who you listen to, and try to cross-check what they tell you.

A good thing about the bleepingcompter.com site, in the HJT forum, is that no one who is not approved is allowed to post there to help people.  Be careful about bleeDingcomputer - that is not the same site.

It is possible that re-installing Windows Media Player, if you have your system disks, might help.  However you may have other problems left over.  I know very little about reading HJT logs, but I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as bad.  You MAY have removed the bad stuff already, but the bad stuff damaged your MediaPlayer installation, so it needs to be reinstalled.  But you could have bad stuff still, and those experts should be able to help you.

I don't think it would be good to remove Windows Media Player completely as it is probably too much integrated with Windows.  However, when/if you do find a player you like better, you can use it instead without having to uninstall Media Player.  I would suggest you only get one from softpedia.com or download.com or castlecops.com or another source that someone you have good reason to trust recommends. 

I suggest you DO NOT make any more changes to your computer until an expert can help you first, though.

If you did NOT get an email letting you know I posted, click the link that says "NOTIFY" at the top or bottom of these posts, and that should set it to let you know if anyone replies again.

I really wish I knew more and could help you more.

sham1313

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2009, 05:12:08 PM »

I will check this out later too
thanks Sharon
Patience. You know your helper is in NJ? (Don't know what the time zone is. But you're closer.)
And your repeat posts, where you say stuff like "where is this going" is appearing on page two of the thread.

On your post number 12 on page one, you ask about how to find the scanning preferences in SAS

I have no intention of butting in on someone elses' thread on another forum, but the screenshots below may help without interfering.