Author Topic: Scanning and how to repair  (Read 14764 times)

sham1313

Re: Scanning and how to repair
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 05:44:57 PM »
I have had SuperAntiSpyware for quite a while and it has saved my behind a few times. Sharon ;D

Patience. You know your helper is in NJ? (Don't know what the time zone is. But you're closer.)
And your repeat posts, where you say stuff like "where is this going" is appearing on page two of the thread.

On your post number 12 on page one, you ask about how to find the scanning preferences in SAS

I have no intention of butting in on someone elses' thread on another forum, but the screenshots below may help without interfering.

sham1313

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2009, 06:55:42 PM »
      I guess I am threw at bleepingcomputer.com the word is I have a very clean computer. she only ask for 2 MalwareBytes logs with doing a few steps in between and did not ask for a HJ log. sense there has been no more replies I guess I am done there. I still have the same trouble when I 1st join here witch is my windows media and quickplayer don't work. when I 1st tried here to get it fixed there was a lot mistakes done. like to many different things got talk about and the question got lost. I do not know if it would be a good idea to try to start a new topic with a old question witch is can some one help me fix my windows media and quick player. I would be more then satisfied if I could get just get the windows media player to work like it should. it came with the computer and work both with DVD'S and CD'S. I cannot just unstall and re-install because you can not see it where it should be to unstall it 1st. is there any one will to try to help me fix it again. I would understand if know one would me.
Thanks Sharon 8) :)

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2009, 06:59:05 PM »
What does Windows Media Player do when you open it up, click file > Open, then select a video or music file?

Does it give you an error? If so, what?  Does it start playing, but give you "visualizations" (moving art around the screen of the player) and no other video?

Does it just sit there?

If it doesn't play the file, or gives a "visualization" playback with sound, but no video, you may need to get some codecs.  You can use software like this: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/GSpot.htm to find out what codec you need for a particular file.

However, downloading xvid usually will allow you to play many things. http://www.xvid.org/Downloads.15.0.html

Again, if you're trying to play DVD's on this computer, and don't have a decoder, you'll either have to purchase one, so that Windows Media Player can decode DVD's, or use VLC Player (I've given the link to you before).

I find it strange that your computer used to play them, and now won't, so again, if you have the original CD's that came with your computer, you might find a DVD codec on one of those CD's.  Something like Cyberlink DVD Player or WinDVD or something.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 07:07:15 PM by scythe944 »
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

sham1313

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2009, 09:37:05 PM »
       Shouldn't I start a new topic about this. what it does is I have to click on the e drive then II fine play and click it does nothing nothing at all. not even a circle going round and round where your mouse is hoovering. let me say it like this if IF it was going to work and you click play there would be a littlewere to work you would see a little circle going round and like it was going to do some thing.  when I click play it does not I say again it does not do any thing nothen at all.  when I put the DVD or CD in neither one will play. it only opens after I click the E: drive and some times it does not even do that.
  also please look for the other question I just submitted I thin it might have been bad trouble if I would have accept. this is in the title. hprbupdate.exeoca9_22eo_4r04_bfee_
thanks Sharon :)

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 01:33:31 AM »
Click on "start" then mouse over "Programs" (or it might be "all programs") and a program list will (or should) appear, like the picture below.
Find "Windows Media Player" and doubleclick it. Does the player open? (it won't play anything, yet, just appear.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 05:15:17 AM »
If you double-click on a file, and it doesn't open Windows Media Player, it could be a simple file-association problem.  Which means, the computer thinks that AVI and MPEG files (etc.) are supposed to open with a player other than Windows Media Player, and that's why nothing happens.

Precisely why I asked you, if you opened windows media player, selected, File > Open and double clicked on a video file, which would make sure that you were trying to open the file with WiMP (windows Media Player).

If it doesn't open, you might have the previously mentioned decoder issues.  If it does open, it's probably just the fact that another program took over the file associations, and that's why they don't play (if the player is no longer there, but the file associations are still associated with the player that is now non-existent).
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 05:23:05 AM »
There are other possibilities, too, bit we need you to troubleshoot by following the steps Scythe and I suggest, to see what happens, before moving on.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

sham1313

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 08:11:27 AM »
I will look at these last post again 1st thing in the morning but I well just let you know the only way it opens is when I dubble click on the E: when my older brothers disk is in it will show unknow author, but that is all it does no matter what I do it   it does not play. I well see ya in about 6 to 8 hr. thanks Sharon

sham1313

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 11:36:21 PM »
I don't have time to explane now it has been a hectic day the mediaplayer and quickplay both work almost as good as it did when it 1st came hope :) :D ;D 8) :o I will try to explane about windows media and quick player this is one tiny thing you can help me with the background of quickplayer. as soon as I can come back will tell ya about it. thanks Sharon

sham1313

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2009, 04:37:31 AM »
I Will let me see if I can explane and hope I have enough time to get this post none . a lot of different things went on today and did not have a lot of time on the computer so here goes.I Had found the files you were talking about for some reason I copy a few of then down not sure why. before I found
MPEG files and the I thing you said AVI I was just looking there and was about to click and HP called.  it was the last day of my warranty after I told him a doz times I was not going to be able to renew right now and I also new it would cost more money if I have to call then later to help with any trouble. they ask me if i was having trouble and I explane the media and quick player to him.

He wanted to take control of my desk top and I said no he could walk me threw the steps we talk some more and I did not believe him what he wanted to do and I said OK that if  we did that way I will do it has long as I have control of my desktop. we started the session like he was going to take control but he did not. the way we did it was if I was having trouble with doing what he ask he would move the mouse and point it on the one to click or what ever. when when we got into windows media folder he saw upperfilter setting and there were 3 item he had me delete and that is all that had to be done. both work fine now. then he told me to look in the unstall to see if quick[player was there to unstall and then I would just re install it . it was not there some how it got unstalled. sense I was going to unstall and re install it. I just found the right one to install and install it.
       the little trouble that is I cannot explane right so will write more when I can. I will just try to say the black in back of the white writting cover the hole screen and how I had it before was when i click esc it would reduce down to take about forth of the screen and just main picture on the screen you would see not all the rest. that is what I need you to help me with.  ;D I will figure out words how to say that better,but mike is wantten on. till tomorrow have a good one and GB. thanks   Sharon

sham1313

Re: Scanning and how to repair need help with media and quickplayer again
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 12:01:20 AM »
 :) they both work fine but there was a time back when a few icons appeared at different times. I guess these were know  as X files what ever that means. That is what HP told me and they were not harmfull to the computer I just did not need to have them. there were 3 of the 6 that were called desktop one was called hs_err_pids2964 but some times I found that one where it had a different numbers. one of witch started with 55. there was one that was a folder and it was called template. I let this last one till last because it is called Itunes. I thing with that one it might have got on my desktop when I download Jake hook music on to the computer. I did not install it I just never used it.

when I was having trouble with the media and quickplay it must have taken the windows media place. when I put a music CD in that one pops up to play any CD I put in and I cannot recall how to change it to where media player will play instead. can some one help me with that? I have one more question to ask but it is about the players and I did mention it above in the last post I wrote.

I will ask and then we can work on the top one 1st then this one. before I had trouble with the players quickplay use to open and play any CD I put in. I had it fixed to where when it open it would only take up less then 1/4 of the screen.  it use to take up the hole screen and had the extra icons + more. when it would come up to full screen if I click the esc it would go to taken up only a forth of the screen and the extra I saw as a background was hidden. I don't know how I did it. I am sure when were threw with the 1st question. some one can help me get started on that question.
thanks Sharon