Author Topic: Having a problem re-registering Laptop  (Read 6793 times)

Benji

Having a problem re-registering Laptop
« on: May 27, 2009, 05:14:05 AM »
Hi, I seem to be having difficulty re-registering my laptop avast software. I keep getting these msgs that my subscription is about to expire (in 6 days latest notice) and when I fill out the form & submit it, nothing happens. No E-mail, Gar nicht! Must I wait until it actually expires or am I doing something wrong? I check my spam mail & it's not there either!

Another possible related problem is that to-day after perhaps five trials of putting the correct "code" letters & numbers in the box on the "registration form", it finally "took" & I received first notice that my registration was "pending" & then finally "activated" and that I could access http://support.avast.com at any time by clicking on the link provided. When I did that, nothing happens & it says "done" at the bottom of the page. If I type the same in my IE7 address bar, I get the same results! What am I doing wrong?Please help.
My version is the Home edition 4.8.1335, VPS file 090526-0 & using a Pentium(R) 4 cpu 1.6Ghz O.S Xp Sp3
Thank you for your response.
Wayne

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
Re: Having a problem re-registering Laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 05:21:43 AM »
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear that you can't re-register avast.  If you can't load support.avast.com, there might be something that's stopping it from loading.

I would check your hosts file for odd entries.  You should only have localhost 127.0.0.1 in the file.  If not, there might be something else going on.

You should also try to clear your temporary internet files, and try again.

If nothing seems to be amiss, then download malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org or superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com and run scans with one or both of them.

Also, a boot-time scan with avast couldn't hurt either.  let us know.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Benji

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 06:04:13 AM »
Welcome to the forums.

I would check your hosts file for odd entries.  You should only have localhost 127.0.0.1 in the file.  If not, there might be something else going on.
Kindly tell me how to check hostfile please

You should also try to clear your temporary internet files, and try again.
Done this, still no luck

Also, a boot-time scan with avast couldn't hurt either.  let us know.
Latest Boot time & scan , 5/19/2009 indicated no infections. Besides, I'm VERY careful.
Sincerely, Wayne

Benji

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 06:05:41 AM »
Getting late. I'll check in tomorrow.
Thanks, Wayne

Benji

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 09:06:50 PM »
addendum to my difficulty: According to Avast's FAQ's you can have the same Key for ANY computer in your possession, therefore I copied my desktop key into the laptop "box". HOWEVER, the "expiration date" did not change to what it is on the desktop, but remained the same as B4 on the laptop! I'm now wondering if I have to wait until the updates actually expire &  re-register then? If that's so, what's the real purpose of the "key" as far as Avast is concerned? Can anyone shed light on this.
I am still unable to access Avast support even though I temporarily reduced my security IE option.
For info, my machines are setting behind a D-Link router which is providing the firewall.
Also I received a key from someone else & thought perhaps somehow the key is personal & that using his would not be appropriate.
Any input would be appreciated.Thank you, Wayne

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 09:19:14 PM »
You can use the same avast Home registration key on multiple computers in the same home, provided that they comply with the for Home and Non-Commercial use. So if you use any of them for 'any' work related issue they would have to have the Pro license.

Have you received the email from register (at) avast (dot) com with your registration key ?

Where are you coping the registration key from on your desktop system ?

Some people are having problems accessing the support.avast.com site, why I'm not sure clearing cookies seems to help some. Mostly the people having the problem are using IE, though it isn't unheard of for other browsers to have problems. For me with firefox, I don't have any problem connecting to the site of logging on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Benji

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009, 05:22:12 AM »
Hi DavidR,
Thanks for the response. Here's the situation. I have 2 computers, one laptop & 1 desktop, each purchased at different times & each having the free version of the avast software on them. I'm only using them for home use, E-mail,surfing,etc, usually at separate times depending on what I wish to do. For example if I'm in bed at night, the laptop or if I want to print something during the day it's the desktop.FYI the desktop is 5 years or so old & the laptop was last years xmas present from the wife.Yes I'm running IE7 & Xp on both.I'll try the cookie deletion you suggested. I actually typed in the "key" designation.

FYI When I was registering for support initially I kept filling in correctly those "code thingys"(to eliminate machine submissions) (Ichecked for accuracy each time)& it took about 5 trials B4 success!!!! Then after I got the confirmation E-mail that I was registered, I still couldn't access the support site.

I'll let you know how I make out.
sincerely, Wayne

Benji

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009, 05:29:58 AM »
more info DavidR. I obtained the key from the "about Avast" window.
The expiration date for the laptop is June 1st, 2009
For the desktop it's August 1,2009
Wayne

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 02:34:26 PM »
Go to the SSL page version and register from there: https://secure.avast.com/scripts/register.php?lang=ENG.  The Registration key is valid for 14 months.
See the tutorial:  http://www.avast.com/files/tutorials/insert_key.htm
Is your system time/date correct?
The best things in life are free.

Benji

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2009, 04:23:07 PM »
Hi Tech & DavidR,
yes my time & date are correct.
Update. Deleting the cookies did it!! I am now able to access the support site. Thanks to everyone who responded.
sincerely, Wayne

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2009, 04:38:57 PM »
You're welcome.

Though I feel that most issues can be quickly resolved in these the avast support forums ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 07:34:05 PM »
Deleting the cookies did it!
Good to know.
The best things in life are free.

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »
You should also try to clear your temporary internet files, and try again

Guess I should say cookies as well next time.  I meant all of it, offline files, cookies, and temp internet files.

Oh well, glad you got it fixed!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Benji

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 01:32:45 PM »
Ok fellows, apparently I still have a difficulty. I am able to access the support sites & register OK (I get the response that it's been sent) BUT I still get the "alert" every day that my database is about to expire (June1st) & I have not as yet received the E-mail confirmation. I have the sites in my "address book". plus I check my mail by going to the Verizon server first(my ISP & mail client) & look in the "spam filter" folder every day. It's not there either! (Other junk is but not the reply).It doesn't show up in the "inbox" also.

Got any ideas of what I might pursue? Do I have to wait until the subscription has to expire B4 I am able to re-register?

Here's another curious phenomena.I can access the SSL site by typing it in the addr. bar(it's in my trusted sites) BUT if I clik on the link from the Avast dot com one I get the dialog that it wants to change & I answer "yes", I'll get a "pop-up block" indicator (my IE pop-up is OFF) & nothing happens.
I'm going to shut off my Google & Yahoo toolbars cause I think they have blockers also & try again. I'll let you know.
Any assistance will be appreciated.
Sincerely,Wayne

Benji

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 01:40:01 PM »
I'm going to shut off my Google & Yahoo toolbars cause I think they have blockers also & try again. I'll let you know.
yes, that was the answer for that! shutting them off now allows me access to the SSL site from the link!