Author Topic: Run Time Error 53  (Read 5293 times)

naomib

Run Time Error 53
« on: May 16, 2004, 09:47:14 PM »
I'm at my wit's end.  I've installed and run AdAware and Spybot, uninstalled and reinstalled Avast!, checked for updates for my Dell workstation running 2000 pro, and still can't get that run time error icon from popping up and trying to dial out.  I can't get Avast! to do a scan without a buffer overload error.  What more can I do?

TIA

Naomi B

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:Run Time Error 53
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 12:11:45 AM »
When exactly do you get an avast! buffer overflow error?

naomib

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 04:32:38 AM »
Dear Igor,

I get that after I run Avast! and I see all the 700+ files listed there.  If I try to click on even one, I get the error message and it says the program will be terminated.

Thanx.
Naomi B

naomib

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 04:43:29 AM »
Ah hah!

As it turns out, I just ran a scan on only a portion of the hard drive (and it took about 6 hrs.) and got the message.  This time, I copied it and append it here.

Hope this helps.

Thanx.
Naomi B

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 10:32:13 AM »
Oh, it certainly doesn't look very nice.
A few questions:

1. Are you using the latest version of avast! (i.e. build 396)?
2. What language version is your Windows 2000 installation? English?
3. Do I understand it correctly that it goes this way: you run the scan (of your disk or some folders). avast! scans the files and finishes "correctly" (i.e. without any error messages). Then, it displays the results with a number of "files not scanned". When you click any of the file in the "Results" window, you get this "Buffer overflow" message. Am I right?
4. Can you please turn on the creation of the report file and try to scan again? (Go to program Settings, select "Report File" page, check "Create report file", and make sure the items "Hard errors", "Soft errors" and "Skipped files" are checked in the options below.)
Those filenames shown in the results windows are really strange... seems like cross-linked folders or something like that. I would like to know the exact paths, but they are clipped in the user interface - the report file would be better I guess.

naomib

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2004, 03:21:53 AM »
Dear Igor,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.  You've got it exactly right (about the sequence).  

In response to you, here's what I've got:

The report I created is attached.

Windows 2000 is English.

The Avast version is 0421-3

What am I doing wrong?

TIA

Naomi B

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2004, 01:29:00 PM »
Unfortunatelly, I don't see any attachment in the post... how big was it? Maybe it was rejected due to its size?
As for the avast! version - I rather meant the program version (something like 4.1.396), not the VPS version.
Thanks.

naomib

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 02:45:03 AM »
Okay, I'll try again...build = 4.1.396.

What will the extension be on the report?  And will it be in the *.rep folder?

I'm running a scan again on WNNT, which seems to contain the problem.

I'll run the report when I get the nasty window that is sure to pop up.  Thanx.

Naomi B

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 09:28:03 AM »
When you open the Report page of the program Settings and turn on the creation of the report file, you can choose where the report should be stored (i.e. in what folder). By default, it's <avast>\Data\Report
The name of the file will be Simple user interface.txt (if you run the scan from the Simple User Interface).