Author Topic: Avast review rated #11  (Read 44347 times)

martik

Avast review rated #11
« on: May 17, 2004, 12:51:37 AM »
http://www.anti-virus-software-review.com/avast-review.html

Any comments on this rather poor rating of Avast. I have tried the top-rated bitdefender but prefer avast because it has more options such as email, p2p, autoupdate etc.

shgoh

Re:Avast review rated #11
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 01:25:20 AM »
avast! is rated #1 here though ;)

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 02:13:49 AM »
Under support they dont mention this forum!!! thats the best part and what do they mean it doesnt perform as well as the top ranking ones? this little jewl gets lots of Virus Builitten 100% awards!!!!!!!
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

videonut

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2004, 03:32:27 AM »
What scares me the most is there is no 12th place!   ie. Avast came in LAST!  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2004, 04:39:42 AM »
I will no comment this rate...
To everybody here, avast rulez  8)
The best things in life are free.

LordDragonDan

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 06:00:53 AM »
You have got to be kidding. This reviewer left out the phone and email support as well. I have used the email before when I had and install problem (after I replaced a hard drive). They responded very very quick and it certainly wasn't an automated response! They also said the on demand and resident scanner were good. Ha! Avast catches things McAffee and Nortons miss. I have to wonder who owns and interest in this publication? Many aren't as "independant" as the claim. I know from the auto industry that review are often not independant. I notice that it is an eCatapult site. I went to eCatapult.com. Stange, when I clicked on "about us" I couldn't access the page. Even after disablling my firewall for the site. I know from the auto industry that review are often not independant.

martik

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 06:20:34 AM »
You have got to be kidding. This reviewer left out the phone and email support as well. I have used the email before when I had and install problem (after I replaced a hard drive). They responded very very quick and it certainly wasn't an automated response! They also said the on demand and resident scanner were good. Ha! Avast catches things McAffee and Nortons miss. I have to wonder who owns and interest in this publication? Many aren't as "independant" as the claim. I know from the auto industry that review are often not independant. I notice that it is an eCatapult site. I went to eCatapult.com. Stange, when I clicked on "about us" I couldn't access the page. Even after disablling my firewall for the site. I know from the auto industry that review are often not independant.

I agree, you can't always trust these reviews to be unbiased. Avast is much better than AVG which rated 3rd.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 11:00:53 AM »
These reviews, I fear are carried out over a short period of time, hense the missed pnone, email and forums for support.

It seems strange that in one breath they can say "It does provide good protection with the on-demand scanner along with the resident scanner. The email protection is adequate for POP3, SMTP,IMAP acounts." Then say it wasn't as effective as some of the others not all.

Based on this alone I feel avast should have been ranked higher, because after all this is about effectiveness (ani-virus protection) and is not a Beauty Contest.

Then to be beaten over the head by a comment relating to the Home version (it doesn't have script blocking) when the review is about Avast pro, which does have it.

When 4 of the top ten don't have Script Blocking in their paid for version and one of those managed to come third? To me the review is flawed.

This forum is populated with dissatisfied customers of many of those AV products ranked in the top ten, go figure!

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Datagg

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 11:27:31 AM »
The reviewer is actually a Norton employee my sources tell me. :o

Avast rules period......

watchthisspace

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 11:54:33 AM »
I used to use AVG and I had 3 trojan virus i picked up while downloading a couple of pictures off Kazaa lite and did AVG find them??? No,
When i put Avast! 4 Home edition and it found those 3 trojans when it did the boot scan.
Avast! should 1st or 2nd or even 3rd not 11th!!

JAM-Computers

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2004, 04:43:49 PM »
As a user of Avast, that review irratates me.  It doens't seem to be based on any kind of facts.  I sent that site the following email.  To show my disdain for their abhorrent behavior.

I emailed that review site this email
Hello,

I am a user of Avast home the "FREE" version and I have to state that it seems that you missed a few things about this program in your review.

First,
Under Help/Documentation you left out that even "Free" users have an on-line forum for help question found here,

http://forum.avast.com/index.php

and can email Avast directly at this email address

support@asw.cz.

found on their support page here

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_144.html

or by phone

(+420) 274 005 333.

or fax

(+420) 274 005 888.

found on their contact page here

http://www.avast.com/i_idt_140.html

As you can see they clearly offer the home user even the "FREE" user a superb level of support.  I have personally used the email and forum with great results.

Second,
Perhaps you missed their Awards page found here

http://www.avast.com/i_kat_13.html

Their Avast states that it is "ICSA" certified and has won numerous "Virusbtn" awards.  Along with a whole host of other awards.

Avast offers more than some "Pay" programs with subscription fees, to the home user for "FREE", I personally switched from "Norton" to "AVG" and then to "Avast".  "Avast" found two virus's that neither of the other two did, one was a worm the other a Trojan.  Avast also offers a virus removal tool, and can speak in ten languages.  I said speak because Avast also has verbal sound cues when a virus or possible threat is detected.  Avast is also skinnable, meaning you can replace the original appearance with "user" created interfaces.  One of Avast most endearing features is it forum which has over 4000 registered users, is actively moderated, and is a great place to get help.  Perhaps another look at "Avast", one that explores the program much more completely, is required by your reviewer to get the rest of the facts about "Avast".

Sincerely,
James Roettger

I will let you know if they email back.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 08:23:36 PM by JAM-Computers »

eda

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2004, 05:34:17 PM »
There is official mail sent to this site:

Dear friends,

maybe it's not the first time I'm writing you about the review of avast! 4 Professional Edition on your site:

http://www.anti-virus-software-review.com/avast-review.html

There are some comments:

1. The developper and producer of avast! line of antivirus is:
ALWIL software - www.avast.com

2. I like to ask you to fill and send me the check table of avast! 4 Pro. If you do it, you'll find that the most of "features" is included in the avast! 4 Pro and there is very little number of missed one - be so kind and try to name them!

3. I'm not going to change your mind about the Ease of use, instalaltion or help/documentation. But the effectiveness is the next point I like to ask about. In AVG you wrote:
Effectiveness:    
The VB 100% logo is awarded to anti-virus products that:  etc.
Maybe you can find how many times avast! was awarded in the last two years and compare it with AVG results.

4. What I can't understand at all is 1 1/2 of 4 Overall rating with all ratings set to 2 of 4 and in the text we received 3 of 4 points for simplicity of instalation.

5. maybe you'll be interested, that we provide very popular avast! user forum at

http://forum.avast.com

where your review were comented by some of our users:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=4566

We like to receive any feedback. We count it as the most important way to improve our products, but your review doesn't contain anything which can help us or help our customers.

I like to ask you for answer

P.S. I'm going to post this mail as the official answer at our forum...

Best regards    Eduard

Eduard Kucera
Vice President
ALWIL Software
Prubezna 76, 100 00 Prague 10, Czech Republic
phone: +420 274 005 666, fax: +420 274 005 888
E-mail: kucera@asw.cz
Web: www.asw.cz, www.avast.com

jg_778x

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2004, 07:21:48 PM »
I'm very happy with Avast! ;D

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 07:48:49 PM »
Haha AVG better than avast!. They got to be kidding.
All these reviews are so untrusted doh...

You can get best review on Download.com under rating comments.
Under Norton there are only few positive comments and under avast! there are just few negative comments. So which one is beter than?

Also i have tested practically all antivirus programs and AVG is the one which should be on the last place sharing it with H+BEDV. Ok they are free,but definitely not better than (free) avast! HE which is superb against those two which don't have ANY support (its only for payable products,and you cannot even submit suspect file if you don't pay for their product. This kinda s**ks doesn't it?)
On the top,there could be only Pc-cilln,NOD32,BitDefender and Kaspersky. Oh and ofcourse avast!.

And with my little tweak tool you can get rid of even the toughest parasites out there!

EDIT:
After some more reading i started to laugh out very loud ahaha lol. This review is the most primitive of all of them.
I mean they mention features for some antivirus like ICSA which is needed for any antivirus to be sold at all (its like a Quality assurance standard required for the product to be sold). Also i don't know where did they miss the VB100% awards where AVG performs terribly against avast! and other antivirus solutions.
I think someone should complain because they are giving false opinions on software like avast! and the whole review isn't serious at all.
Heh guess i'll have to start writting reviews on my page to give correct point on all of this ::)

EDIT 2:
I'll send the complaint by myself. They are doing reviews on personal opinion and not by the facts. The most hated thing from my perspective are false reviews (the most noticeble is in gaming industry but as it seems normal PC software isn't so different...)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 08:10:04 PM by RejZoR »
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

JAM-Computers

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2004, 08:34:18 PM »
Rejzor, I sent them a complaint as well.  
Read
UP  
a few posts.  
I think we should ALL complain!
  >:(  Probably, the Irish in me  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 08:35:48 PM by JAM-Computers »