Author Topic: Cannot send virus/trojan to virus chest or delete off of my MAC  (Read 6641 times)

gheidari

I haven't had an anti virus s/w on my iMAC for a while. I recently installed Avast and ran a scan. It came up with a dozen viruses/trojans (e.g., rpcinstall_us.dll). When I tried to repair, delete, or send to Virus Chest, it complained that 2 of them do not allow that and the others were unsuccessful.

I also have a ton of "err 13" items in my scan result, and I'm not sure what they mean.

Any and all help will be most appreciated.

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re: Cannot send virus/trojan to virus chest or delete off of my MAC
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
Err 13 is normal and the number of err 13 will be suppressed in the next release.
rpcinstall_us.dll is a windows DLL file, Do you run windows in a virtual environment such as Parallels, VMware or VirtualBox on your Mac?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

gheidari

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 03:18:02 AM »
Hi
No I don't run any windows on my MAC at all.
I am getting a number of viruses/Trojans all of which have "WIN32" as part of their description in the scan report. Does this mean these don't affect my MAC? Should I try to remove them?

Thanks

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 03:45:23 AM »
If they say Win32 then they are windows viruses. They will not affect your Mac but you should still remove them so you do not accidentally spread them to a windows user.
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay