Author Topic: to avast home edition users  (Read 12349 times)

saiefovech

to avast home edition users
« on: May 29, 2009, 02:56:34 PM »
what happend to the GUI of avast home edition ?? does it changed or thers something wrong with my pc ?? ,,, it looks like an older version of avast  ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:07:47 PM by saiefovech »

cinchez

Re: to avast home edition users
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 02:59:02 PM »
I have that too^^

Maybe its just an advertisment^^

-AnimeLover^^

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 03:34:56 PM »
-= I'm surprised that avast actually have an advertisement..

-= But I believe its a lot more quiet than Avira's pop-ups.. I'm still thankful.. *whew*
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 03:46:23 PM »
Will all of us share this opinion of maximum protection?
I think the major concurrent of avast Pro is avast Home...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 04:55:33 PM »
Looks like this is the marketing push to promote the Pro version ;D

I don't like it, it makes the windows too big and butt ugly, well too much noise with the new avast! font/logo top right. It just makes it look too crowded and whilst I don't mind them putting the ad there it really is too big for the size of the window and makes it totally unbalanced, e.g. butt ugly.

Seems to be making a big deal out of the Home edition only having limited protection, do they know something we don't ???
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Anderson2

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 11:20:05 PM »
My faith in Avast free edition is significantly shattered.  I've used Avast for a long time and my Avast scans - which I do frequently - were clean but I was concerned.  So I downloaded A-Squared and was shocked at all it found including 2 viruses that had been there a long time and that Avast had never noticed.  I checked these infected files at http://www.virustotal.com/ and they were indeed infected files confirmed by several AVs including Kaspersky, etc.. 

So, now I am not at all sure how much protection the Free Avast "really" provides.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 12:24:57 AM »
My faith in a-squared is equally less than impressive, like in this topic (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=45704.0) where its detection was incorrect. No single application is going to provide 100% detection.

You don't say what the malware name, file name or location is, nor do you give the actual link to the VT results page. Without this there is no way to to do any checking.

I'm in no doubt that avast Home will continue to do what it has done for me for over 5 years protect my system. Is it perfect, no, are any AVs perfect, no.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline .: L' arc :.

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Thinking with Portals
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 10:39:44 AM »
-= anderson2,
       I though that was a link for the VT analysis..?  ???

-= No other free AV can match Avast! Home's protection.. Home version is almost like a PRO version of other AVs..
Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium SP1
avast! 9 RC1

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »
My faith in Avast free edition is significantly shattered.  I've used Avast for a long time and my Avast scans - which I do frequently - were clean but I was concerned.  So I downloaded A-Squared and was shocked at all it found including 2 viruses that had been there a long time and that Avast had never noticed.  I checked these infected files at http://www.virustotal.com/ and they were indeed infected files confirmed by several AVs including Kaspersky, etc.. 

So, now I am not at all sure how much protection the Free Avast "really" provides.
Can you send the samples to virus@avast.com ?
You can zip and password the files... Inform a link to this thread and the password used.
You can send the files to Chest and, from there, resend to Alwil for analysis.
Thanks.

Maybe you need to disable Hide protected operating system files and enable View hidden files and folders' to manage the file(s).
The best things in life are free.

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2009, 06:04:04 AM »
I have a great deal of confidence in the Avast home AV.
In my opinion, this form of advisory is a departure from the way Alwil have been marketing the Pro version. Maybe it's been deemed necessary, to try and get more customers, I don't know.
But I don't like it much.
Makes it a little bit more like the others.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline Vladimyr

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Super(massive black hole) Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2009, 06:42:05 AM »
The thing that bothers me is that it undersells the capabilities of the Free Product.

1. avast! 4.8 Home provides free comprehensive protection. "Free Basic Protection" is just wrong, and may lead to speculation that the Home version will be 'de-featured' in future.

2. "Get safer web surfing with avast! Professional Edition" - only if you use IE!
I have 4.8 Pro and Script Blocking doesn't work for me with other browsers.

Could somebody have a quiet word in the ear of the marketing department.
Selling-out credibility for increased sales is easy - but buying it back again will be impossible.

There is a way that seems right to a man,
       but in the end it leads to death
.” - Proverbs 16:25

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2009, 07:14:32 AM »
Nicely said.
Agree.

Offline calcu007

• Avast Evangelist
  • Poster
  • I'm lamma!
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2009, 07:30:53 AM »
I dont have that banner, even your version look different, you dont have the Avast 4.8 home logo
Asus Intel i7 8GB RAM , Win 8.1 64 bit, Avast IS

treasure108

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2009, 07:47:07 AM »
downloaded avast for win 7 RC 64 bit.  upon windows boot avast message comes up saying operating system has been upgraded, avast cannot run on this system, and avast needs to be reinstalled.  i uninstalled it (in safe mode) as i could not do it any other way, re-installed it - same error message.

any tips advice here?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2009, 08:02:20 AM »
Hi treasure108,
welcome to the forum.
This is an issue unrelated to this thread. Suggest you open a new thread, post the problem there.