Author Topic: What is it with Avast and Comodo Internet Security Suite Install file??  (Read 17825 times)

PaulAuckNZ

Hey folks, whats Comodo got in it, that Avast (I'm using Home), doesnt like? Comodo Internet security isnt even installed on this (but I've got the latest install files). If I go to the Comodo folder, (and if Avast is running), Avast freezes the system for a few secs (it must be scanning this folder). Then I can click on whatever. Now, I've noticed that not only does Avast do this (freeze), it'll will also crash explorer.exe (If I open the Comodo folder). It did this previously (with previous versions of Avast). BUT, its the 1st time, I've noticed / seen it crash explorer.exe (the shell). I'm usng XP Pro  x64.

Avast doesnt crash when I open any other folder (there's 63 folders (in the same folder the Comodo folder is in).

« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:11:34 PM by PaulAuckNZ »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
There are issues. I think consensus would be run comodo firewall as standalone with Avast.

From what I recall full CIS suite does not sit well with Avast and vice versa. If you go to general topics and search keyword 'comodo', there are a lot of entries. Likely someone from the forum will reply and the issues will be aired again to keep things up to date. I think also may have to configure in comodo frewall control set for comodo firewall to overrule one of avast's responsibilities, but I'm not sure because I cannot find the relevant post. Likely someone will reply.

I dont use any comodo. But I can almost say for sure - rule out full CIS and Avast running error-free together on same computer.

Edit: Also - XP Pro  x64.
Many security agencies have yet to accommodate wares to 64bit the way they have for 32bit.
My 64bit is gathering cobwebs in storage. I think time to set it up running again.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:48:13 PM by mkis »
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

PaulAuckNZ

Like I said, its Comodo's install file/s, Comodo  ISN'T installed (So, I'm not running Comodo's firewall, or AV). So, thats not the issue, just opening the comodo folder (that the install files are in), freezes the system and crashes the shell. (If Avast is running in the background).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 11:54:31 PM by PaulAuckNZ »

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
There are issues with comodo installer as well.

I can only repeat:
But I can almost say for sure - rule out full CIS and Avast running error-free together on same computer.

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

PaulAuckNZ

What? Just having the install file in a folder? I dont think so.  You dont have to do anything for it to crash. Just opening the folder (like I said), crashes explorer.exe. Like I said (for the 2nd time). I'm not even touching the install file / I'm not double clicking on it. So, I'm not installing it.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
What if you disable avast! resident protection (or just the Standard Shield) beforehand? (and, e.g. try to display the properties of the mentioned executable)

PaulAuckNZ

Well its fine, if I kill Standard shield, since it disables Avast.  What makes Comodo so special from any other file on the hdd? lol. There's 20000+ files on the hdd, and the comodo folder is the only folder that makes the shell crash (If Avast is running).

« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 12:14:54 AM by PaulAuckNZ »

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
So, Comodo is not installed, but you're keep on mentioning "Comodo folder". Do you mean folder where Comodo installer is located? Because if that's the case, you have to thank Comodo team for creating the dumbest installer ever. Whole installer is packed with a runtime packer. If your system is low end one, i can assume the system will lockup or crash.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

PaulAuckNZ

Thats right the folder. I wouldnt call this PC low end (XP Pro x64, 6 GB ram, 250 GB hdd, dual core 2.5). It DOESN'T crash the system (as in BSOD). It crashes the shell / explorer.exe. If I open the folder the Comodo installer is in (while Avast is running)

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Well, it's still to blame the crappy installer made by Comodo ppl. Who on earth would compress a 80MB file with a runtime packer. Its just ridiculous.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Is it a 64bit installer, or 32bit one?
Not that the 64bit one wasn't rather ugly, but it's not packed - at least when I checked last time (as there's no 64bit PECompact at the moment, I assume)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 12:54:52 AM by igor »

PaulAuckNZ

Both. Both installers are in the folder

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
I went to comodo website. They seem to have separated packages 64bit and 32bit, but too big to bother downloading to check. Is the version you have of comodo dated earlier?

PaulAuckNZ

No its the latest versions of 32 and 64 bit. And yup, theyre separate downloads

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
You really need to take this up with comodo.

I can give you a local connect if this really is important. As I say I am looking to set up my 64 xp pro again soon, so may provide some useful thoughts for me. you can email through Avast 'My Messages' on menu bar - search my user name and send your email address or some kind of connect in Auck.